Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone get a dedicated dash cam, even with Sentry mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious if anyone is using a dedicated dash cam, even with Sentry mode in their Model 3.

I currently have a Thinkware F750 front/read dash cam that I love in my current car. (Hoping to have a Model 3 before the end of July.)

When I look at footage from my F750 compared to footage from the front Model 3 camera, there's no comparison, the F750 is much clearer and higher resolution. As I understand it the Model 3 also doesn't record rear video (like my F750 does).

Just curious what everyone else does.

Interesting. For you folks that ARE using a dash cam, how to you power it? Does your dash cam have a USB adapter for power? (mine's only got a cigarette lighter plug for power).

Do you leave it running when you are parked somewhere? How do you prevent it from draining the battery too much?

Thanks for your input so far.

I got a blackvue DR750s-2ch back long before sentry was even a possibility. And I'm still using it - it covers a wider angle, and has a camera in the back, and gps location tracking. And is zero maintainance - it rotates out old files. And with a 128gb card, it keeps maybe 2 weeks worth of stuff before the old stuff is purged. And has wifi and a bunch of related features - I can play the videos on my phone. I ran the wires behind all the panels according to a youtube video about how to do this - it's powered out of the 12v outlet in the arm console (although there's a way to get always-on power out of the light cluster above the mirror) - so it used to be dead when the car was parked, but tesla changed how that works, and now it does a trickle draw for recording incidents while parked - nice! The amount of power it draws while parked is minuscule - it doesn't change the amount of phantom drain that happens normally (I've tested this).

I'll probably stop using it when tesla finally figures out how to make sentry work as well as just about every other dashcam out there, but i'm not holding my breath.

I got a blackvue DR750s-2ch back long before sentry was even a possibility. And I'm still using it - it covers a wider angle, and has a camera in the back, and gps location tracking. And is zero maintainance - it rotates out old files. And with a 128gb card, it keeps maybe 2 weeks worth of stuff before the old stuff is purged. And has wifi and a bunch of related features - I can play the videos on my phone. I ran the wires behind all the panels according to a youtube video about how to do this - it's powered out of the 12v outlet in the arm console (although there's a way to get always-on power out of the light cluster above the mirror) - so it used to be dead when the car was parked, but tesla changed how that works, and now it does a trickle draw for recording incidents while parked - nice! The amount of power it draws while parked is minuscule - it doesn't change the amount of phantom drain that happens normally (I've tested this).

I'll probably stop using it when tesla finally figures out how to make sentry work as well as just about every other dashcam out there, but i'm not holding my breath.
Awesome. Your Blackview sounds exactly like my Thinkware in every way. Good to know that works for you. Hiding the cables is the biggest challenge, I guess, but I was able to do it in my current car so I have hope.

I bought the Apeman C420 and installed it on the rear window since Sentry Mode and TeslaCam don't record with the rear camera.

This camera is small and difficult to see from the outside as the pano roof is tinted down to a certain level where I installed the dashcam. It was also super useful when a woman rear-ended my car while I was stopped 2 weeks ago. If I didn't have it, I would not have the video evidence to prove she was at fault.

I had my Blackvue DR750S-2CH (front and rear) and DR650GW-2CH (sides) on all 4 corners of my Model 3 before sentry mode was activated. My installer ran wires to the center console for power. In total, I have 7 cameras recording. I was looking to upgrade to the 4K DR900 infrared series, but have held off since sentry mode was introduced.

I installed a ROAV C1 on my windshield back around the end of Oct 2018. Didn't have TeslaCam at the time; was using 2018.28.1. It used to run automatically just fine. It would turn on when I unlocked the car and off when I exited (after a one minute delay). However, one of the OTA updates I received since then caused the cam to not turn off automatically any more. I'm assuming it's because the front USB ports remains active for some time after locking the car. I now have to remember to manually shut off the camera each time I get out. If and when I get the impetus to identify an "accessory" power source, I'll re-wire it.

Like others I already owned a dash cam, Vava, when I got my Model 3, so I just installed it as a matter of routine. When Sentry came out, I kept it for redundancy, and because Sentry doesn't have GPS or a timestamp, or speed display, etc, yet. I have it on the rear window facing rearward. I run the wire tucked into the molding, under the mats and plugged into the rear USB port. Works well.