Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone get the free self driving trial?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do I have to do anything special?
I haven't received the free month of FSD here. I did a little research, it seems you'll receive an email when your month begins.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 3.08.49 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 3.08.49 PM.png
    229.1 KB · Views: 22
I got an email from Tesla yesterday notifying that my Model 3 SR (bought in Sep-20-2023) has been updated with the new FSD.
Today, I drove the car and saw a few improvements using just the basic TACC:
1) the car stops gracefully when there is car already stopped in front (it used to do a very aggressive stop, giving passengers a serious discomfort)
2) the car slows down when getting near an intersection with green light, if there is no crossing traffic, I simply press the pedal slightly and it resumes its speed. It also slows down when the car is near a right turn (with turn turn signal ON)
3) the car does stop on red light and STOP sign (this feature is automatically turn ON)
I will try the self driving to see how it works. Regardless of how good it is, I will NOT buy it, TOO EXPENSIVE.
The basic autopilot is fine for me.
An additional OTA software update is pending, will occur tonight.

I got it today and installed - MUCH better than V11 - only drove it about 15 miles and pretty impressive but why they can't have a decent acceleration is beyond me. In CHILL mode from a stop light on a 45mph road the 0 to 45 mph was around 4 seconds or a bit more. That to me is just unnecessary. It accelerates to the speed limits and then regen braking kicks in to keep it there. What is the point of that. Just accelerate at a moderate pace and the regen is not needed. If you want to go quick that is fine but in CHILL mode that is far from chill. More testing tomorrow.

An additional OTA software update is pending, will occur tonight.
Yes, the OTA software update is shown on the screen today.
Here is my very first experience with FSD which I never tried during the first 3 months period. I drove to Walmart which is 2 miles from my home:
1) Engaging FSD is like turn ON autopilot,
2) it keeps lane, stop on red light and STOP sign, slows down when getting near green traffic light (GREAT)
3) at red light stop, when the light turn GREEN, the car accelerates quite well to move thru the intersection (even CHILL mode was selected)
3) it drive itself to destination BUT ..... when about 0.5 miles to Walmart (straight thru a round about), it turns left, go for a few hundred feet, then turn right, then later turn right again to get to Walmart. Well, before it takes the long route, I press the brake to turn off autopilot and drove myself to Walmart. Going tjhru a round about with autopilot is scary. My plain guess it FSD avoids round about if it can.
That's a little bummer but that's not too bad especially for unfamiliar destination.
I am quite happy with this FSD, Let's see how it works on very long trips including highway.
I will test FSD with longer routes (8 miles and 11 miles one way) which are my routine destination.

A word about routine destinations: even before this FSD download, I noticed that the navigation remembers my destination and the date & time I start going.
As long as I touch the Navigation to select the destination, the one I want to go to is on the top of the list, that's amazing. It seems that it knows at that date & time, I usually to go to that place, so it put that destination on the top of the list to choose. I LOVE THAT.

Bottom line: no matter how good this FSD is, I will not spend 12K to buy it. TOO EXPENSIVE, it's 1/3 of what I paid to buy this car (NEW).

Yesterday, I made two more trips , the second one at dark. Both went really well as expected.
The new screen layout is much better. I am wondering if it reverts back to what I had before the FSD trial is activated. I really hope that the Stop on Red light and Stop sign feature stays with the basic Autopilot.

The new screen layout is much better. I am wondering if it reverts back to what I had before the FSD trial is activated
To verify this, I select Auto-Steer instead of FSD, the selection of "stop on RED light and STOP sign" still ON.
The screen reverts back to what it was before FSD enabled !!! The driving behavior is pretty much the same except 2 things:
1) when stopping , the car does a series of "brake-go" until it really stops
2) about 8 phantom breaks within 12 miles drive. I never got any phantom break on the same routes in the past 5 months.
Tesla really sets out to charge 12K for FSD. Too expensive for me.