Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone get this message: Power Train Problem Service required

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I just got this too (powertrain problem service required)
IMG_20120927_212644.jpg

It happened during charging. It pops up occasionally during charging and does not seem to affect driving (but I haven't driven too far since I first saw it.) Tesla has downloaded the logs and is trying to get an opportune time to come out to fix it. The real bummer here is that my warranty expired about a week ago(!) -- soon after taking the car in for its annual!

On the other hand, Tesla said they are going to try to fix it under warranty as they know we are serious about getting the extended warranty for the car. Oh - I was told the extended warranty will be available very soon (whatever that really means).

It happened during charging. It pops up occasionally during charging and does not seem to affect driving (but I haven't driven too far since I first saw it.) Tesla has downloaded the logs and is trying to get an opportune time to come out to fix it. The real bummer here is that my warranty expired about a week ago(!) -- soon after taking the car in for its annual!

On the other hand, Tesla said they are going to try to fix it under warranty as they know we are serious about getting the extended warranty for the car. Oh - I was told the extended warranty will be available very soon (whatever that really means).

Glad they are still going to take care of you under warranty. That's never a good message to see.

View attachment 10417

The problems is the blower for cooling the PEM. It looks like, the electronic cannot power it up for full speed.
Do you have the new version with the snow dam installed?

Do you have the new version with the snow dam installed?
Hah, that's funny! I'm in Florida :). What's "snow"? But we did get the new blowers installed in the last service, so maybe you are onto something. The Tesla maintenance folks things it may be a firmware upgrade that didn't take. they are bringing a new condenser fan set also as that may be an issue.

Last edited:
I'm going through this power train issue right now, as well. Last night and today I got stuck in an intersection. Luckily, it's not real hard for one guy to push one of these. Also, I'm glad it happened in October and not January.

Unfortunately, the State trooper that insisted he push me through the intersection with his car - after I made him guarantee me it wouldn't damage my car - damaged my car:

IMG_1774.jpg

I can see the state trooper in the reflection of the Tesla paint to the right! I really don't know if they're held accountable for these things. I believe they should, such as to take action to not damage cars when moving them. However they're moving a disabled car out of the road which in turn could lead to an accident.

If you have full insurance, which I think you do, I would file a claim with them and indicate what happened. I would inquire if this would raise your rates, and if so, I would argue that. Possibly that would be the best route, file a claim with your insurance and have them go after the police's insurance. It was contact with the police car, which the police car initiated the contact 1st.

If this ever happens again I'd mention the price tag of the Roadster. They may take better care next time!

Just FYI--In case anyone reading this ever has to push a Tesla out of the road--
In my experience, two not-very-strong people-- (my office manager and myself)--- can push a Tesla easily.
It is a very light car.
Sorry for your dent!

I actually moved it by myself the previous night when it happened the first time. It's not an issue at all unless you're trying to start on an incline. Kind of comical, really.

But I was trying to get it to storage until the PEM is replaced and got stuck. The trooper really didn't give me an option.

I'm already in touch with their legal team. Sounds like these claims might be fairly common.

View attachment 10417

So here is the latest:
I drove the car to work yesterday and Tesla (Dania Beach) sent Byron out to look at the probelm. He found a problem with the (new) single-motor blower setup and replaced it, but said there was another problem he could not identify at the time. I just spoke with Alberto who said the problem looks like it lies with the PEM. Apparently some cars (of course mine had to be one!) are border-line model years (mine's an early '10 - I had a similar issue with my windshield) and their PEM's do not support the new single motor blowers with just a firmware upgrade. They are confirming this and are tentatively planning on coming out later this week to replace the PEM (the old one will be upgraded to support the new single-motor blower and put back on the shelf as there is technically nothing wrong with it.) Once again, Tesla comes through with shining colors!

And (hopefully) the last chapter:
Kacey came out from Dania Beach and replaced the PEM with a new "European" version that all PEM's are being converted to. This PEM supposedly runs much cooler than the old PEM and in Florida we need it - although I have never had a problem with anything ever overheating (just the warning message from time to time.) Of course now that we are moving into cooler weather, I really won't be able to test it!

And (hopefully) the last chapter:
Kacey came out from Dania Beach and replaced the PEM with a new "European" version that all PEM's are being converted to. This PEM supposedly runs much cooler than the old PEM and in Florida we need it - although I have never had a problem with anything ever overheating (just the warning message from time to time.) Of course now that we are moving into cooler weather, I really won't be able to test it!

Want.

EU version? Maybe it secretly supports 3 phase????:love:

The EU version resulted from Eberhard putting his Roadster through a 100,000km test session. :tongue:
He went through dozens of PEM blowers, changing them on the Road himself if necessary :eek:

More to the story... Last night the car would not charge(!) The white pre-charge light came on, but that was it. I emailed Dania Beach immediately and called them in the morning. They had Kasey on the road immediately and he was here (3 hours away) at noon. Turns out the new EU PEM needs to be told that it is now living in the US - the country code needed to be changed! Took him 10 minutes to do the work and a few hours of charge-testing (we drove back to my house) and log downloading (before and after) to make sure it was working. I hope I don't have to go down the same road as Eberhard! So far, I really have not had any problems with either the old PEM or the new one. I don't consider any of the problems I have had to be "problems" with the hardware. Mostly issues with the version of my car - it is confusing that a 2010 would have parts from 2009 and 2010.

More to the story... Last night the car would not charge(!) The white pre-charge light came on, but that was it. I emailed Dania Beach immediately and called them in the morning. They had Kasey on the road immediately and he was here (3 hours away) at noon. Turns out the new EU PEM needs to be told that it is now living in the US - the country code needed to be changed! Took him 10 minutes to do the work and a few hours of charge-testing (we drove back to my house) and log downloading (before and after) to make sure it was working. I hope I don't have to go down the same road as Eberhard! So far, I really have not had any problems with either the old PEM or the new one. I don't consider any of the problems I have had to be "problems" with the hardware. Mostly issues with the version of my car - it is confusing that a 2010 would have parts from 2009 and 2010.

My Ranger recently joked that my car was some kind of "bastard child" because it turns out it was originally an EU-spec car that was re-purposed as a Canadian car. It turns out there are subtle differences you wouldn't have expected between an EU spec and NA spec car, such as different front mud flap mounting - which is what we ran into.

What's different about an EU spec PEM?