Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Got back the $100 deposit by cancelling order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can get the money back. Tesla cannot keep it without delivering a product.

The idea they are “custom building” the vehicle based on your order is ridiculous. They make them in batches then match you to a VIN.

It may wind up costing you more than $100 of your time, but you’ll get the deposit back.

If you pitch it to them you placed an order for each model to get in line but you purchased the y they might give you the $ back. If you already took delivery of the y and the placed the 100$ you might not get it back.

for example, I paid $100 for solar deposit and $100 for solar roof. When I moved forward with one they cancelled the other and gave the $100 back.

If you pitch it to them you placed an order for each model to get in line but you purchased the y they might give you the $ back. If you already took delivery of the y and the placed the 100$ you might not get it back.

for example, I paid $100 for solar deposit and $100 for solar roof. When I moved forward with one they cancelled the other and gave the $100 back.
Tesla changed the way they structure the money paid to being and additional "$100 order fee" rather than a deposit on a reservation. The order fee is in addition over and above the purchase price and was done to specifically to be a non refundable item legally and therefore prevent multiple refundable deposits. The Cybertruck gets a "deposit" and is therefore refundable.

It's worth a try but I expect you'll spend more time trying to get a refund than the $100 is worth. I had paid for vin 2701 in full a few months ago and had to ask for a refund after they damaged the car in transport. They would not let me inspect the damage and rerouted the driver back to the delivery center. Fremont was shut down at the time so they could not provide an ETA on the repair and retracted their initial offer for a loaner because "we don't know when your car will be fixed." I thought that was interesting. I asked for a refund as the car was paid for, damaged, and had no estimated delivery date. I received everything but the $100 order fee despite inquiring about it.

I had a much better Tesla employee handle my second order of 71XXX. I knew customer service was not great with Tesla but as they offer a product no one else does so I have no choice but to accept this.

Mine was refunded through no effort of my own in June 2020 when I requested a refund for my 2nd MY reservation on the website. I would assume it was automated.
Your refund may have been from a "deposit" because the earlier method of collecting the money was structured as a deposit against the purchase price rather than the additional "order fee". Not sure when they actually changed the terminology from one to the other but I also received automatic refunds on canceled order deposits, but not on order fees.

Tesla changed the way they structure the money paid to being and additional "$100 order fee" rather than a deposit on a reservation. The order fee is in addition over and above the purchase price and was done to specifically to be a non refundable item legally and therefore prevent multiple refundable deposits. The Cybertruck gets a "deposit" and is therefore refundable.
That’s what my solar order says also (order fee.) I still received my $100 back.

Your refund may have been from a "deposit" because the earlier method of collecting the money was structured as a deposit against the purchase price rather than the additional "order fee". Not sure when they actually changed the terminology from one to the other but I also received automatic refunds on canceled order deposits, but not on order fees.
No I actually placed the order earlier the same month (June 2020)

No, well before that. My whole point is that they refunded the fee despite it being called out as non-refundable.

Did you see this when you sent the cancel request?

upload_2020-12-29_21-55-24.png

You can get the money back. Tesla cannot keep it without delivering a product.

The idea they are “custom building” the vehicle based on your order is ridiculous. They make them in batches then match you to a VIN.

It may wind up costing you more than $100 of your time, but you’ll get the deposit back.
People can disagree all they want. I have received the $100 back on both a vehicle and solar order.