Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla PPF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone ordered the Tesla PPF? I'm curious if it's worth getting for these two spots? I found someone locally that will install it for $100. I'm just not sure if it's actually needed in that exact, small spot. Anyone order this? (I'm curious if anyone installed this their self.) The two pieces are $50.

Attachments

• IMG_1182.png
    IMG_1182.png
    644.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1181.png
    IMG_1181.png
    555.5 KB · Views: 19
I ordered and installed them myself when I got my car back in 2021.

They are not hard to install. If I recall they come with the squeegee, you just need to mix up some slip solution to spray on them for installation. (Slip solution is just a spray bottle with water and a little bit of Johnson's baby shampoo added. If you dont have it, you can get a small bottle of Johnson's baby shampoo in the travel toiletries section of Walmart for about a buck or two.)

I highly recommend them. Your front tires will sandblast that rear section of your car without some kind of protection.

Here is a video I found on YouTube that shows the installation process.

This is called a "shark fin" by those in the know. It's not as good as proper PDF on the rear door, but better than nothing. It doesn't wrap around the door edge (which would ensure no paint at all can be hit) so if it's what you're going with, at least make sure it goes right to the edges. My MYP had it Tesla-installed (probably on delivery) with a quarter-inch gap at the bottom. It's also only 6-mil PPF I believe - on the thin side. I had my PPF guy remove it and replace with a piece of the same 10-mil as the front, running all along the lower part of the door, following the crease.

Has anyone ordered the Tesla PPF? I'm curious if it's worth getting for these two spots? I found someone locally that will install it for $100. I'm just not sure if it's actually needed in that exact, small spot. Anyone order this? (I'm curious if anyone installed this their self.) The two pieces are $50.
You definitely need it in that spot. Just make the spot bigger. Also need it on the nose and hood.

Also, mudflaps on the front.

Thanks. I wouldn't say it's *needed* on the nose and hood. I don't want to wrap my car in ppf everywhere. :)
There are shops that have a package of just the front end and quarter panels for less than $1000. It's well worth it. My first MYLR had paint chips on the hood you could see aluminum through. My neighbor is now getting quotes to paint his year old MYLR.

There are shops that have a package of just the front end and quarter panels for less than $1000. It's well worth it. My first MYLR had paint chips on the hood you could see aluminum through. My neighbor is now getting quotes to paint his year old MYLR.
I think this whole idea of wrapping your car in plastic is pretty new. I've had cars for decades and I've never done this and my car wasn't beat up. When I see other Tesla's on the road they aren't beat up either. It's a car, it's going to get dings and chips no matter what. 🤷🏻‍♂️

If you're interested, there are a ton of threads on this topic. Use an Advanced Search.

The door flare is the most vulnerable place for road debris damage to the paint. There are regions in the country that have the small piece of PPF already installed.

I installed mine 49k miles ago. Easy job, and the PPF hasn't budged, and is holding up very well.

But what is the endgame? Do you replace it every couple of years? Which looks worse: the PPF being old, or a few small dings in the paint? And if the idea is to take it off before you sell it, for higher resale value, doesn’t it look weird against the rest of the car that didn’t have it?

I’m about to trade in my M3 for an MY, and nobody cared about the condition of the paint of the M3. they barely even look at the car before they value it.

Not trying to cause trouble here, but trying to understand what the purpose is, in the end.

The OP's question was about the flared area on the rear doors, which is an absolute MUST HAVE for any Tesla MY.

This discussion morphed into the virtue of more extensive use of PPF, which is a controversial subject, joining several dozen threads that already exist on the subject.

But what is the endgame? Do you replace it every couple of years? Which looks worse: the PPF being old, or a few small dings in the paint? And if the idea is to take it off before you sell it, for higher resale value, doesn’t it look weird against the rest of the car that didn’t have it?

I’m about to trade in my M3 for an MY, and nobody cared about the condition of the paint of the M3. they barely even look at the car before they value it.

Not trying to cause trouble here, but trying to understand what the purpose is, in the end.
Good thoughts.

The OP's question was about the flared area on the rear doors, which is an absolute MUST HAVE for any Tesla MY.

This discussion morphed into the virtue of more extensive use of PPF, which is a controversial subject, joining several dozen threads that already exist on the subject.
One thought I have is, in a few years wouldn't the paint fade differently in that one little section since it would be covered by the PPF and start to look really bad as time goes on?

If you're interested, there are a ton of threads on this topic. Use an Advanced Search.

The door flare is the most vulnerable place for road debris damage to the paint. There are regions in the country that have the small piece of PPF already installed.

I installed mine 49k miles ago. Easy job, and the PPF hasn't budged, and is holding up very well.
Great, thanks!