Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had our 2017 S AP2.0 MCU1 upgraded to HW3(no MCU2) this week. It was kept overnight. When I picked up the car, the GPS was not working. I had to bring it back to the Paramus SC. My service advisor said a problem with the cameras caused the GPS to become inoperative. I picked up the car after hours today, finding the cameras were calibrating on the way home. Now the dash cam and sentry work. I have to say the customer service was great. They have significantly improved this year.

Dash cam and sentry mode actually records and saves to a USB drive with MCU1?

Yes, it does. I have a late 2016 Model S that was AP2 and MCU1. It was upgraded last week to AP3 and I have tested it out recording dash cam, works great. Got my first sentry mode alert today at the grocery store.

MCU 1 has always had it (Minus rear camera view) if you had at HW2.5. Now people with HW2 are able to get it.

So it's June, how's that timetable for Model 3's made before March 2018?

Last week, Tesla Mobile Service in Portland, OR called me to schedule an upgrade for my VIN 53XX that was purchased in Feb 2018. They will be here tomorrow to install HW3! They said I might get an firmware upgrade notice before then but to not install it. Good WiFi was also needed per them.

Dropped my car off around noon, fingers crossed, apparently they're so busy it'll take the whole weekend. Asked about infotainment, they guessed not until next month.

just picked up my model x (Mcu1) ap2 to FSD upgrade complete. Drive was smooth and was immediately able to see traffic signs and stop signs! A few sentry alerts already too, pretty exciting!

now back to the waiting game for mcu2 upgrade.

just picked up my model x (Mcu1) ap2 to FSD upgrade complete. Drive was smooth and was immediately able to see traffic signs and stop signs! A few sentry alerts already too, pretty exciting!

now back to the waiting game for mcu2 upgrade.

Did you have to drive the car for a certain distance to calibrate the camera? My X has similar specs. I still don't have autopilot after driving it for 40km. My GPS is also frozen. Tried rebooting twice and still didn't work.

Did you have to drive the car for a certain distance to calibrate the camera? My X has similar specs. I still don't have autopilot after driving it for 40km. My GPS is also frozen. Tried rebooting twice and still didn't work.

Not really the cameras were still calibrating at about 95% but auto pilot worked. When I called to check the status the tech was supposedly on a road test, maybe that did it.

Finally! My turn...

IMG_1219 (1).jpeg

[Pic is worth 1000 words to describe this]

Taking it in this Friday, Tesla Model 3 VIN# 008891

Wonder how many of my early brethren have gotten their computer swapped. Is the design different than the later computers, or do they modify my car to fit the newer style computer setup?

Last edited:
Wonder how many of my early brethren have gotten their computer swapped. Is the design different than the later computers, or do they modify my car to fit the newer style computer setup?

I just had mine done today (VIN 53XX). The tech said they have been doing a lot of sub 6XXX VINs recently. He did mention the wiring harness of the earlier cars is slightly different. He had to cut a wire and connect it to a different connector before the new computer was hooked up. So there was at least one minor change made to later calls that made the upgrade a little bit easier.

The whole process took just over an hour for mine. I haven't had time to take it for a spin but I did confirm all profile settings transferred back over.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I would be so bummed if we lost our trip meters, so glad to hear it transferred across.
I had my Model 3 done last week (VIN 30k). They had to do the wiring harness change, but I lost all of my settings (including my lifetime trip meter). Losing everything seems to be more common in the older cars than the newer ones, but I honestly think it is just how conscientious the tech is whether you keep your settings or not.

• Informative
Reactions: israndy
Finally! My turn... Taking it in this Friday
Or, not...

Friend of mine and I got in line to reserve, placed our orders, picked up our cars, and toured the factory at the same time. Only natural that we would both get notified to make an appt. for the upgrade at the same time. And then today both get a call saying the parts are not in and we will get a call in JULY to reschedule. Say Liviee. [hmmmm... I don't think Grammarly understands French.]

Just got home with my HW3 upgrade. I had no WiFi connectivity at home, called the Tesla support #, and he had me do the double scroll wheel & brake pedal reboot. That fixed the WiFi situation.

I saw traffic lights & stop lines in the center display on the way home, but no traffic cones. Apparently, cones are not displayed unless one has the MCU2 update. I’m trying to find out if the HW3 system still sees & reacts to traffic cones even if they’re not displayed.

NoA camera recalibration took about 15 minutes of driving, but I see indications that the camera calibration is only at the 99% point.

I had HW3 upgrade done last Tuesday on my S 75D 2017 (MCU1), and still have no AP nor GPS/NAV available. (Last software update was 2020.20.1).

I drove more than 100km since the upgrade and did 3 reboots. The other problem is the lightning stays in night mode till I reboot it in daylight, then the interior screen becomes ok but the headlights stay in night mode even if I play with the adjustments. I have to do it every time I drive in daytime since I park inside a garage with low lights. No rain sensor available neither.

I asked for another ranger service appointment scheduled next Friday (June 19).