Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had HW3 upgrade done last Tuesday on my S 75D 2017 (MCU1), and still have no AP nor GPS/NAV available. (Last software update was 2020.20.1).

I drove more than 100km since the upgrade and did 3 reboots. The other problem is the lightning stays in night mode till I reboot it in daylight, then the interior screen becomes ok but the headlights stay in night mode even if I play with the adjustments. I have to do it every time I drive in daytime since I park inside a garage with low lights. No rain sensor available neither.

I asked for another ranger service appointment scheduled next Friday (June 19).
Your detailed description is what I had. No rain sensor nor intermittent wiper speed. The screen brightness also remained in dark mode. It is no fixed. Best wishes to you.

Reactions: Intruder99
Just got home with my HW3 upgrade. I had no WiFi connectivity at home, called the Tesla support #, and he had me do the double scroll wheel & brake pedal reboot. That fixed the WiFi situation.

I saw traffic lights & stop lines in the center display on the way home, but no traffic cones. Apparently, cones are not displayed unless one has the MCU2 update. I’m trying to find out if the HW3 system still sees & reacts to traffic cones even if they’re not displayed.

NoA camera recalibration took about 15 minutes of driving, but I see indications that the camera calibration is only at the 99% point.

it def reacts to cones even if it isn’t visualized. I tested it out.

• Informative
Reactions: Padelford
Don't understand last sentence you see cones now after the second calibration or NO ??? And why the car see arrows on the road , stop, trafic lights and not this stupid trafic cones it's not difficult to display ??????

honestly doesn’t make sense because green got it to work on his retrofit a while back. More than likely marketing to create a difference so we opt for the MCU2 upgrade in the future. Or they could be attempting to reduce all unnecessary load to keep screen a little less laggy and bogged down.

I had an appointment 4 weeks ago for HW3 Retrofit and MCU2 upgrade. The day before I asked the SC and they told me HW3 Retrofit is available but not the MCU2 upgrade . So I moved my appointment to the 18.06.2020 hoping the MCU2 upgrade will be available at this date. If not I will go on the 18.06.2020 for the HW3 Retrofit only .

I had an appointment 4 weeks ago for HW3 Retrofit and MCU2 upgrade. The day before I asked the SC and they told me HW3 Retrofit is available but not the MCU2 upgrade . So I moved my appointment to the 18.06.2020 hoping the MCU2 upgrade will be available at this date. If not I will go on the 18.06.2020 for the HW3 Retrofit only .
Thanks Patrick, so it seems that we are seeing upgrades in Switzerland now, that’s great. Did you receive an email or was it prompted by you?

My HW3 was completed yesterday, only took about 20km to calibrate, and the UI is good, the steering wheel icon is a progress wheel, and on the autopilot page it gives the actual percentages, interesting that the summon section required more calibration that the NOA.

dash.PNG

auto.png

Reactions: Intruder99
My HW3 was completed yesterday, only took about 20km to calibrate, and the UI is good, the steering wheel icon is a progress wheel, and on the autopilot page it gives the actual percentages, interesting that the summon section required more calibration that the NOA.

Except in Canada, we dont seem to have any redlight/stop sign recognition turned on. The only feature that I got with the HW3 upgrade is dashcam support now, that is it.

Don't understand last sentence you see cones now after the second calibration or NO ??? And why the car see arrows on the road , stop, trafic lights and not this stupid trafic cones it's not difficult to display ??????

The last sentence was a lament/joke. I had a bunch of traffic cones in my immediate area right after the HW3 upgrade, but they all were taken away before the second calibration completed. So it goes.

Back to cones with HW3 and MCU 1. i have extensive road work being done on various freeways where I live, after some more testing not entirely sure how well it is sensing cones. I think it may see them well enough to display but not sure if it’s able to always understand it needs to merge over. Had a couple close calls with merging cones where I had to take over. It may have bumped me over but I didn’t want to risk it. I’ve noticed as long as the cones have the addition of a lane marking right next to them, even in a merge the car will pop into the adjacent lane with a little shrieking of course. Without an additional lane marking, now I’m not so sure. Wondering if this differs in behavior from MCU2 HW3 cars.

I had an incident yesterday in which orange barrels were used to merge traffic out of the right lane into the left lane (road had two lanes in each direction. I had Autopilot active, driving in the right lane, to see what FSD would do. I did not see the barrels in the driver display, and I took over control of the vehicle at the last second to avoid plowing into the barrels - FSD did not react. I had Dashcam enabled plus “save on honk” enabled (I honked) so I should have a visual record of the incident.

I spent some time with tech support on the phone, and that person indicated that cones/barrels will not be visualized in the driver display without MCU2. I asked whether HW3/FSD can sense & react to the cones & barrels without MCU2, and the person couldn’t answer. That matter is getting escalated, and I’m supposed to hear back from someone sometime.

I’m going to be very unhappy if I find out that full FSD requires me to pay extra for MCU2!

Friend of mine and I got in line to reserve, placed our orders, picked up our cars, and toured the factory at the same time. Only natural that we would both get notified to make an appt. for the upgrade at the same time. And then today both get a call saying the parts are not in and we will get a call in JULY to reschedule.
Didn't even have to wait until July, my friends taking his car in on the 29th, Monday. And I have an appt. just a week later to have them come here and install the computer at my house! I am gonna watch everything they do. VERY exciting times we live in.

I had an incident yesterday in which orange barrels were used to merge traffic out of the right lane into the left lane (road had two lanes in each direction. I had Autopilot active, driving in the right lane, to see what FSD would do. I did not see the barrels in the driver display, and I took over control of the vehicle at the last second to avoid plowing into the barrels - FSD did not react. I had Dashcam enabled plus “save on honk” enabled (I honked) so I should have a visual record of the incident.

I spent some time with tech support on the phone, and that person indicated that cones/barrels will not be visualized in the driver display without MCU2. I asked whether HW3/FSD can sense & react to the cones & barrels without MCU2, and the person couldn’t answer. That matter is getting escalated, and I’m supposed to hear back from someone sometime.

I’m going to be very unhappy if I find out that full FSD requires me to pay extra for MCU2!

Update: I found a right lane merge to left marked off with orange barrels nearby today, and I gave AP two attempts at moving the vehicle from the right lane to the left lane guided by the barrels. This is after the 2020.24.6.1 update.

AP does try to follow the barrels and move the vehicle over from the right lane to the left, but AP lets the vehicle get very, very close to the barrels before changing course. Like less than 2 feet. Vehicle speed was 30 MPH. I didn't have the guts to let the vehicle complete the merge in both cases - I took over control about half way thru the merges as the vehicle was very, very close to hitting the barrels from my point of view. The left blinker never came on for the lane change. I never saw any barrels or anything resembling barrels/cones in the driver display.