Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infotainment/MCU upgrade £1,700 or £1,400

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone with FSD computer/HW3 got the Infotainment upgrade for £1,400.

The SC knee jerk cost is £1,700 which by the Tesla wording applies to Ap 2.0 and AP 2.5 vehicles.

I believe the lower price if you have HW3/FSD computer is because the upgrade requires less additional hardware.
With AP1 there's no point in them including some hardware because its upgrade potential his limited.

Looking for responses from those that have actually had experience (UK) here, not the theory of which cost should technically be correct in what scenario.
IMG_9992.jpg

If you’re on HW2 or HW2.5 they also upgrade the AP cimputer when you buy MCU2 giving you effectively a HW3 car and the new MCU. There are slight differences on the cameras and wiring looms but not enough to be an issue, and you can upgrade the cameras too, I think it’s just the ones in the side indicators.

If you’re in AP1, they can’t upgrade the AP computer, and if you’re on HW3 there’s no need, they’re probably also alreadtpy MCU2,, hence the lower price.

If you’re on AP1, features like sentry and summon won’t be available as you need the later AP cameras etc.

The radio is extra again.

Prices in the past, especially when they first started, might cause more confusion as the prices were originally higher

If you’re on HW2 or HW2.5 they also upgrade the AP cimputer when you buy MCU2 giving you effectively a HW3 car and the new MCU. There are slight differences on the cameras and wiring looms but not enough to be an issue, and you can upgrade the cameras too, I think it’s just the ones in the side indicators.

If you’re in AP1, they can’t upgrade the AP computer, and if you’re on HW3 there’s no need, they’re probably also alreadtpy MCU2,, hence the lower price.

If you’re on AP1, features like sentry and summon won’t be available as you need the later AP cameras etc.

The radio is extra again.

Prices in the past, especially when they first started, might cause more confusion as the prices were originally higher
This is what I’d read too.

Hopefully the virtual service will read my message and amend the initial cost estimate of £1,700.

I am considering it for the added security of additional sentry cameras and the improved FSD visuals on the binnacle display for when FSD reaches Europe.

Other benefits include:

PerformanceMore responsive and smoother touchscreen and instrument cluster

Faster browser with video playback and 3D rendering support*
Audio & MusicDisplays Bluetooth® media album art

Your vehicle will still have access to internet radio and music streaming*

Note: Removes AM, FM and DAB radio
GamingIncludes graphics-intensive Tesla Arcade games like Beach Buggy Racing 2, Cuphead and Stardew Valley

Enables gamepad compatibility
EntertainmentEnables video streaming and access to YouTube and Netflix through the Tesla Theater*

Adds Caraoke* and TRAX
Driver AssistanceEnhanced Driving Visualization for owners with the Full Self-Driving Capability Computer
SecurityFor vehicles with the Full Self-Driving Computer, recording is enabled from the front, rear and side cameras for Sentry Mode and DashCam, which also includes the DashCam viewer

Recordings may vary in color or tone based on your camera suite
Cellular & Wi-FiSupports 5GHz Wi-Fi networks

LTE capable modem

Yes I’ve got HW3 and MCU1.
Just got the car 1 month. Previous owner had it specced to the max when new + FSD.
It was originally AP2.5 but got the HW3 upgrade before I bought it. I just got the camera upgrade recently.

I was considering holding out to see if MCU2 ever became free because I highly suspect at some point MCU1 won’t be able to keep up but the prevailing wisdom at the moment is that FSD will work on MCU1, just limited visualisations.

I haven't used an MCU1 system for some time, but I thought it already wasn't keeping up when navigating, etc. I know it's missing a raft of features. I doubt they'll make it a free upgrade. A bit mean of Tesla not to upgrade the car to MCU2 and build it into the price (assuming you bought from Tesla)

Tbh it’s actually not noticably slow. I think it was worse 1-2 years ago and they have worked on it since with software tweaks.
Maps take 2-3 second sometimes but it doesn’t feel like a sluggish iPad.

I don’t really need half the things like Netflix.
For the cost I think the sentry and dashcam is the true value. And getting back into a more frequent software update group.

Legacy X/S are going to be software updated much less regardless of MCU from now.

The main reason I’m still feeling somewhat modern is the free FSD related hardware upgrades, but that’s probably maxed out now.

Yes I’ve got HW3 and MCU1.
Just got the car 1 month. Previous owner had it specced to the max when new + FSD.
It was originally AP2.5 but got the HW3 upgrade before I bought it. I just got the camera upgrade recently.

I was considering holding out to see if MCU2 ever became free because I highly suspect at some point MCU1 won’t be able to keep up but the prevailing wisdom at the moment is that FSD will work on MCU1, just limited visualisations.
In that case you should be charged the £1400 since you have the latter AP computer already. Don’t forget to budget for the radio upgrade too. If you listen to the radio / DAB.