Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got SunPass working yet? (Florida)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes! Tommy's method works for me too, with the mini. Picture attached (it's hard to take a good picture of it at night, I'll try to remember to take one during the day, soon).

I got some thin black strips of fasteners from Home Depot, and took the suction cups off and affixed it using the fasteners, upside down. Fortunately, the mirror has a flat section on top that is wide enough for the fastener and such that it looks pretty decent on top there. And I can easily remove it when I'm on the I-95 Express Lane, so that I don't get charged.

20130222_185029.jpg

Yes! Tommy's method works for me too, with the mini. Picture attached (it's hard to take a good picture of it at night, I'll try to remember to take one during the day, soon).

I got some thin black strips of fasteners from Home Depot, and took the suction cups off and affixed it using the fasteners, upside down. Fortunately, the mirror has a flat section on top that is wide enough for the fastener and such that it looks pretty decent on top there. And I can easily remove it when I'm on the I-95 Express Lane, so that I don't get charged.

View attachment 17008

Thanks Ron,

Were you using Velcro type fasteners?

Larry

After seeing a post by Nick Howe somewhere (over at TM website?) I bought one of the External Mounted Sunpasses (made to mount to a front license plate holder). Tampa Service Center popped the nose cone and attached it underneath for me this afternoon. Cost $25 plus $1.75 for shipping. Took a trip down to St Pete Beach this evening which is 3 tolls each way and had a 100% six for six success rate. I've always thought the Sunpasses looked ugly in the window, not so much from the driver seat since they hide behind the mirror, but definitely an eyesore from the outside, so am very happy to have it hidden behind the nose cone. Thanks for the tip Nick.

Great news bobinfla. However those in South Florida who drive on I95 Express for free have to shield their transponders. If it's mounted in the nosecone, we lose the benefit of free 95 Express lane access (assuming there isn't a way to shield it with the mounting).

Regardless, if u don't need this benefit, the nosecone is an awesome solution.

There's no way to block that "Externally Mounted SunPass", is there? For those of us in or around Miami, EV's get free use of the I-95 Express Lanes which can sometimes be as high as $5.00 each way... that's a very nice freebie. All you have to do is register and they give you a sticker to put on the window, then you can safely put away your SunPass transponder -- in its little RF-shielded bag so it doesn't get read -- and enjoy the free express lanes.

But if you have a SunPass transponder active, it'll get read and charged regardless of car type or EV sticker... it's up to you to make sure it's not being read. So I'm a little worried about this nose-cone idea, much as I'd love to implement something invisible like that.

@Index, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you register your vehicle's license plate with Sunpass, even if the transponder doesn't "hit" when you pass through a lane they'll photograph your plate and charge you normally. Additionally, if you place the transponder behind the read view mirror stalk that attaches to the windshield, the transponder will actually "hit." Try that a few times before you purchase an exterior transponder.

@Index, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you register your vehicle's license plate with Sunpass, even if the transponder doesn't "hit" when you pass through a lane they'll photograph your plate and charge you normally. Additionally, if you place the transponder behind the read view mirror stalk that attaches to the windshield, the transponder will actually "hit." Try that a few times before you purchase an exterior transponder.

Does it matter what type of transponder (slim, sticker or older suction type)? Thanks.

View attachment 17008

I used this mounting technique and so far with just one attempt its working.

Thanks.

Larry

Anyone else finally come to the realization that the transponder is only required for lanes that do not have image toll enabled, such as SunPass parking at Miami International Airport? In those cases, the transponder can be used by opening the sunroof since it is a low speed situation.