Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got SunPass working yet? (Florida)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to double-check that I understand correctly, if you don't mind. There are Sunpass and "Toll-by-Plate" rates, and the toll-by-plate rates are dramatically higher. Are you 100% sure that when Sunpass does an ITOLL (image toll) transaction it's charging the same rates as a TTOLL (transponder toll) transaction, and not the toll-by-plate rates?

Hi they charged me sunpass rate. the toll-by-plate is if you are not a sunpass customer they will mail you a bill. I just didn't have my transponder with me and it didn't seem to make any difference.
09/23/2015 01:21:12 AM 09/21/2015 03:40:22 PM Plate FL-N0TIN on 09/21/2015 03:40:22 PM at Becker Road lane 03D Agency Turnpike District with 02 axles. ITOL ($0.31) $14.33

I spoke to Sunpass today and they told me that they will link your plate to your account for "several weeks" before eventually forcing you to get a transponder to keep the Sunpass rates. The service rep made it sound like a sort of "grace" period. Would be curious to hear other people's experiences.

David, there are mixed reports on that. Some say that their car is never charged (as if they already have them in the system as exempt). Others still do. The advice I've read is if you are charged to call their customer service each month and they'll reverse the charges.

Had the same problem a year ago.
Called Sun Pass and was told the Tesla windshield will not let the Sun Pass record toll paid.
I had to purchase a special Sun Pass gizmo to be attached under the front bumper.
Tesla service installed it for me. Problem solved.
When I told the Sun Pass Clerk I did not think it was fair that I had to pay $25 for it, she responded by saying "why did you buy a Tesla".
Vico

This is an easy problem to solve! David is correct!

1. Do not call Sunpass - lol
2. Purchase a portable transponder, and mount it to the windshield just under the rear view mirror. On my 2012 P85, I have it just below the rear view mirror, and just right of center, as recommended by technicar.com, who did a beautiful job installing my Passport 9500Ci, but that's another post...
3. MOST IMPORTANT - go to sunpass.com and add your Tesla, with license plate info, to your corresponding transponder in your account.
4. Your transponder should work half of the time, or better. When it doesn't, see #1!, your account will be billed at the same rate via 'Image Toll' (ITOL), not to be confused with the 'toll by plate' program!

The 'toll by plate' program sends you an invoice every month, with additional administrative fees, and no discounts.

In nearly three years, although I don't check my account on line often, but when I do, I get charged the same discounted sunpass rate, whether it's a 'transponder toll' (TTOL) or an 'image toll' (ITOL).

I understand there are additional volume discounts, that commuters benefit from, that vary by location. I don't use sunpass enough, but I believe that a transponder (TTOL) would be required for this additional high volume discount. So if you are a daily commuter, it would be worth investigating, and the license plate mount may be the only solution, I'm not sure.

Attached is a screenshot of recent activity (the system will only let you see up to 90 days of past activity): you can see I was charged the same rate for ITOL as TTOL.

Capture.JPG
ITOL.jpg

Last edited:
Reviving this old thread, no sense in diluting the info here.... Going diving in keys next month and looked at ordering a sunpass last night. What I gather from this thread is the $5 sticker won't work, but it doesn't need to since I'll register the car and tag with my account and they'll bill at the same rate as if I had a working sticker pass. Is that correct?

Did I also understand there are HOV / EV lanes thru miami? How to register the car as HOV / EV?

Reviving this old thread, no sense in diluting the info here.... Going diving in keys next month and looked at ordering a sunpass last night. What I gather from this thread is the $5 sticker won't work, but it doesn't need to since I'll register the car and tag with my account and they'll bill at the same rate as if I had a working sticker pass. Is that correct?

Did I also understand there are HOV / EV lanes thru miami? How to register the car as HOV / EV?

Not sure out of state residents can register for the express lane exemption. But here are some links. There are two separate, required registrations.

Registration Process & Forms
High Occupancy Vehicle Decal - Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

As for SunPass, yes, I think even if you don't have the sticker it will charge you the reduced rate via your license plate if you're registered in their system (which might require a sticker purchase, to be honest). Either way, if you're only making one trip, it'll likely only save you a few bucks versus someone who has no SunPass account.

With my 2015 P85D, the sunpass portable did not work anywhere around the rear view mirror. The only thing that worked for me was moving it to the back window. That works okay for toll booths, but rolling through tolls at speed on the Sawgrass exits gets me a image-toll-by-plate entry in my Sunpass account.

So instead of buying a $20 portable transponder for my Model 3, I should just buy a $5 mini sticker? Since neither may work at the toll booth, just buy the cheapest one and don't even bother applying it to my car? Let SunPass do image toll?

And then obvi do the HOV registration and the 95 Express registration...

On Model 3 the SunPass sticker works fine when placed on the windshield on the right side beside the rear view mirror.

On my P85D, at least my late 2014 one, I used a remote mount SunPass under the nose cone.

I used to use the 95 and HOV stickers but never renewed them after the first effort. Oddly I have yet to be billed for any 95/HOV lane use in my Model 3 even though it is not registered. I had expected charges but thus far none. OTOH billing is famously screwed up and slow so I might have displeasing charges yet to come.

Ok, maybe I wasn't clear in my question.

As long as your vehicle is registered with SunPass, you can be charged the reduced rate via "image toll". So it is not necessary to have the transponder in the car, correct?

And if you have the HOV/95 Express decals, the SunPass transponder may still trigger the tolls, correct?

So to just avoid unnecessary tolling, just throw the transponder away and let them "image toll". Simple fix, or no?

I used to use the 95 and HOV stickers but never renewed them after the first effort. Oddly I have yet to be billed for any 95/HOV lane use in my Model 3 even though it is not registered. I had expected charges but thus far none. OTOH billing is famously screwed up and slow so I might have displeasing charges yet to come.

I'd assume it's just SunPass messing up its billing, like you suggest. Definitely think it'll get caught, eventually.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Ok, maybe I wasn't clear in my question.

As long as your vehicle is registered with SunPass, you can be charged the reduced rate via "image toll". So it is not necessary to have the transponder in the car, correct?

And if you have the HOV/95 Express decals, the SunPass transponder may still trigger the tolls, correct?

So to just avoid unnecessary tolling, just throw the transponder away and let them "image toll". Simple fix, or no?

I'd assume it's just SunPass messing up its billing, like you suggest. Definitely think it'll get caught, eventually.

Sorry.
n order- several people i know do not carry the SunPass transponder, and simply resolve tolls once they arrive. don't do that because it is cumbersome, but it does work without doubt, except for airport parking and other such situations, in which it will revert to cash payments with no discount. That has happened to me several times.

A working SunPass will trigger HOV/95 Express tolls if the systems is working as intended. No correction is typically possible for that one, just like airports.

As for "definitely...eventually" think you might overestimate their audit process. FWW, I fully expected to be charged, and still do. I simply have little respect for SunPass operations.

OT, the contrast with EZ Pass is amazing. Despite the cumbersome transponder that system has worked as designed for me every place I have used it, in quite a few States. This all might be more efficient and effective were SunPass to just join EZ Pass system.

I have a 2015 Model S with 2 Transponders in my front nose cone. One for my gated community which has worked flawlessly, and one for Sunpass, which has never worked. I have only received Toll by Plate charges every time. I hate putting anything on my windshield, so I am going to try mounting the 2 transponders on the back of the 15 inch monitor when I receive my Model 3 this or next month.