Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone had a J1772 adapter give out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, that was short lived. Two weeks and replacement J1772 adapter won't charge anywhere either. Scheduled a second mobile service appointment, this time they asked for $105 for diagnostics.

Benefit of doubt first time. Questionable second time. Have to check to see if there are any higher quality third party ones. It always seemed so ehh in build quality considering what it’s for.

Benefit of doubt first time. Questionable second time. Have to check to see if there are any higher quality third party ones. It always seemed so ehh in build quality considering what it’s for.
I know there's at least one third-party J1772-to-Tesla adapter available. I think it's this one, but I'm not positive of that. I can't speak to its quality, since I've only used Tesla's J1772 adapter, and I've never had problems with it. (I own two. One is semi-permanently attached to my Clipper Creek J1772 EVSE, and the other stays in my car.)

Well, that was short lived. Two weeks and replacement J1772 adapter won't charge anywhere either. Scheduled a second mobile service appointment, this time they asked for $105 for diagnostics.
Could it be those stations you are testing at have issues themselves? Might be barking up the wrong tree assuming it's an adapter problem or a car side problem. Do you have a way to test at a known good J1772 EVSE (preferably one that does not require any sort of payment/network authorization, but is completely free to use to eliminate that as a factor)?

Reactions: srs5694
Could it be those stations you are testing at have issues themselves? Might be barking up the wrong tree assuming it's an adapter problem or a car side problem. Do you have a way to test at a known good J1772 EVSE (preferably one that does not require any sort of payment/network authorization, but is completely free to use to eliminate that as a factor)?
I did think of this, and tried every single Chargepoint station in a bank of 9 by the house (you can push "cancel" if charge hasn't started and they void the payment). Also tried the Volta at our Target, no payment involved there.

I did think of this, and tried every single Chargepoint station in a bank of 9 by the house (you can push "cancel" if charge hasn't started and they void the payment). Also tried the Volta at our Target, no payment involved there.
I'd be cautious about using Volta stations. They're frequently (but not always) mentioned in the thread on melted J1772 adapters. My own hypothesis is that, because Volta EVSEs generally provide higher amperages (40A or 48A, IIRC) than most others (30A or 32A, typically), a small amount of dirt in the Volta or Tesla J1772 adapter can lead to excessive heat, and therefore to damage. Your first photo didn't look like your adapter was heat-damaged, but it's conceivable this was nonetheless the problem, but the damage was not visible in the photo.

When I got my first EV (a Chevy Volt PHEV), I'd take every opportunity to charge at public EVSEs. With the Volt's 53-mile battery range, this was sometimes the only way to get home without engaging the gas engine. With my Model 3's 325-mile rated range, though, a Level 2 EVSE doesn't give enough added range to make much difference, except for hotel stops on road trips. If I can afford a $50k Model 3, I can afford the $1 or so of electricity I get from plugging in for an hour at a mall. That savings is certainly not worth the hassle and potential expense of replacing a damaged adapter. At this point, I'm more likely to plug in just to add a PlugShare check-in, if a station hasn't been used in a while or has been dinged in the ratings because of a problem that's now resolved.

I'd be cautious about using Volta stations. They're frequently (but not always) mentioned in the thread on melted J1772 adapters. My own hypothesis is that, because Volta EVSEs generally provide higher amperages (40A or 48A, IIRC) than most others (30A or 32A, typically), a small amount of dirt in the Volta or Tesla J1772 adapter can lead to excessive heat, and therefore to damage. Your first photo didn't look like your adapter was heat-damaged, but it's conceivable this was nonetheless the problem, but the damage was not visible in the photo.

When I got my first EV (a Chevy Volt PHEV), I'd take every opportunity to charge at public EVSEs. With the Volt's 53-mile battery range, this was sometimes the only way to get home without engaging the gas engine. With my Model 3's 325-mile rated range, though, a Level 2 EVSE doesn't give enough added range to make much difference, except for hotel stops on road trips. If I can afford a $50k Model 3, I can afford the $1 or so of electricity I get from plugging in for an hour at a mall. That savings is certainly not worth the hassle and potential expense of replacing a damaged adapter. At this point, I'm more likely to plug in just to add a PlugShare check-in, if a station hasn't been used in a while or has been dinged in the ratings because of a problem that's now resolved.
The Volta thing is good to know, but in my case it was my second stop after Chargepoint gave me trouble to try another network. Based on what I learned from you, will avoid them in the future.

I don't typically use public chargers around the house, but since the adapter failed on my last road trip (after a year of not caring or even looking at it), I figured I should use it once in awhile. Didn't expect it to fail weeks after replacement.