Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone had a J1772 adapter give out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately found this out during a road trip, but had backup plan ...

My J1772 adapter that came with the car has never given me issues until I was out of town this past weekend. Prior to that, I'd used it successfully in Manhattan Beach Mall back in June.

On the trip, went to a Chargepoint station, plugged in, car said "Ready to Charge", Chargepoint screen said "Plug in to start charging". Unplugged, tried different plug in order, put some weight to make sure connections were tight.

Went down the road to a Volta, same message on car screen, no screen on charger side. App showed cable in red, indicating no charge.

Went further down the road to a publicly available Tesla destination charger, started charge right away.

Made two Supercharger stops on way home, no issues.

Do these adapters go bad? Is there any type of warranty?

Reactions: GeoG
I have two on a 3 from 2019 and another 3 from 2020. Both no problems.

I will say that on the 2019 the included Tesla cable was finicky. Turned out the pin inside was "slightly" off and would sometimes work and sometimes not. Tesla brought another one to me and it's worked perfectly since.

Don't know about warranty. But Tesla will swap them in the first 30 days.

Open a service ticket.

I've heard of J1772 adapters that melted... maybe something did happen to yours internally.
There's an entire thread on this problem here on this forum. There's no really definitive conclusion there about the cause, but my general impression is that it's likely to happen on faster (over-32A) EVSEs. My hypothesis is that dirt in the J1772 plug and/or in the adapter can cause overheating, but that's just a guess, really. I've never had the problem myself (knock on wood). Tesla will sometimes replace melted adapters under warranty, but sometimes not; it seems to be a hit-or-miss thing. Check the linked thread for multiple photos of damaged adapters.

Reactions: GtiMart
Thanks all. Is the melting visible? I don't see anything on mine, but I can post pics.

How does one open service tickets? I tried Tesla support chat this AM, but its waiting for an agent since 8:30AM.

Tesla app > Service > Schedule Service

If it's covered they will bring it to you.

At least they brought me a whole new charging cable anyway when my flaked.

Thanks again. I'd seen the other thread, but thought melting would be more obvious. Maybe you all can see something I don't in attachments.

I'll try service appointment, I was thinking to chat and get some advice.

Attachments

• IMG_1241.png
    IMG_1241.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 264
  • IMG_1240.png
    IMG_1240.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 161
Final thought one of my friends has had some problems at some chargers previously when he first got his Tesla. Either it connects but wont charge or wont connect at all. As an electrician he states it's often dust / dirt buildup. He now keeps contact cleaner in the car with him and that seems to work the majority of the time.

Thanks again. I'd seen the other thread, but thought melting would be more obvious. Maybe you all can see something I don't in attachments.

I'll try service appointment, I was thinking to chat and get some advice.
I don't see anything obviously wrong in your photo, but I could be missing something; or it could be damaged or defective in some non-obvious way. Taking it to a Tesla Service Center for testing seems like the thing to do.

Just an update on this ...

I was able to get Mobile Service out this morning, they swapped my adapter immediately and suggested we go to Chargepoint about 1/2 mile down the road to verify. New adapter had trouble as well on the first charger, but moved down one and it was fine. Tech said he sees a fair share of them go bad like this.

Unfortunately found this out during a road trip, but had backup plan ...

My J1772 adapter that came with the car has never given me issues until I was out of town this past weekend. Prior to that, I'd used it successfully in Manhattan Beach Mall back in June.

On the trip, went to a Chargepoint station, plugged in, car said "Ready to Charge", Chargepoint screen said "Plug in to start charging". Unplugged, tried different plug in order, put some weight to make sure connections were tight.

Went down the road to a Volta, same message on car screen, no screen on charger side. App showed cable in red, indicating no charge.

Went further down the road to a publicly available Tesla destination charger, started charge right away.

Made two Supercharger stops on way home, no issues.

Do these adapters go bad? Is there any type of warranty?
Not related to the question but I figured you might be able to answer my question on J1772. I have never used the J1772 adapter. Just got my M3 on Saturday. Can you tell me how fast the J1772 charges? Does it compare to a super charger?

When I was charging at work I was getting about 22-24MPH when using the J1772 adapter with a ChargePoint station, nowhere near the amount you'd get with a Supercharger. It's basically at what's known as Level 2 charging; 240VAC @ 24A or thereabouts.

Yep and they adjusted tire pressure, topped wiper fluid and oiled something under the front wheels while they were here as well. Great suggestion!

You got the full survive.

I’ve had them out twice since n two different cars. Once for the car. Once for a bent hubcap, from factory. That’s all they did. In all fairness the cable was done because they finished another job early in the area and called to see if I wanted them to come by a few days early.

Not related to the question but I figured you might be able to answer my question on J1772. I have never used the J1772 adapter. Just got my M3 on Saturday. Can you tell me how fast the J1772 charges? Does it compare to a super charger?
J1772 is a Level 1/Level 2 charge interface. In theory, you could get anywhere from about 3 miles of range per hour of charging (on a Level 1 EVSE; about 1kW) up to about 45 miles of range per hour of charging (on a 48A Level 2 EVSE, assuming you have a Long Range Model 3; about 11.5kW), depending on the capabilities of the EVSE. Most public Level 2 EVSEs will provide about 25-30 miles of range per hour of charging. This range of speeds is the same you'd get with a Tesla Mobile Connector, except at the top end, which is comparable to what a Tesla Wall Connector can provide on maxed-out circuit. Even the top end is well under what a Supercharger can provide (they max out at 72-250kW, depending on the type of Supercharger).