Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have 0-60 times for LR RWD post 5% update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been multiple reports of SR+ now recording 0-60 times of ~4.99s while the LR RWD is only ~4.9s and LR AWD is 4.0s in real world tests.

Why is the gap between standard range and long range RWD so little? It feels like it should be closer to 4.5s to bridge the gap between it and LR AWD. It could be a traction issue for the RWD models but I don’t understand why the SR+ has been improved by ~0.3s from its advertised numbers while LR RWD is down only ~0.1s and LR AWD is down ~0.4s.

It is quite simple in my mind. Both the LR RWD and the SR+ have the same motor / inverter. The battery pack is not C-rate limited running a single inverter. Therefore, both vehicles should be capable of running the exact same times. The motor/inverter power is the limiting factor.

Tesla may differentiate in software, but the hardware is likely the same level of capability.

Doesn’t battery headroom effect power output as well though? I get the additional battery in the LR RWD adds a couple 100 lbs of weight vs SR+ but I imagine it allows for even more power as well. I admit Idk much about this topic but they have made the SR+ a really great value and wish they were able to improve the LR RWD a bit more as well. Obviously, I primarily got it for the range but improved acceleration is always a good thing in my book.

Doesn’t battery headroom effect power output as well though? I get the additional battery in the LR RWD adds a couple 100 lbs of weight vs SR+ but I imagine it allows for even more power as well. I admit Idk much about this topic but they have made the SR+ a really great value and wish they were able to improve the LR RWD a bit more as well. Obviously, I primarily got it for the range but improved acceleration is always a good thing in my book.

That is what I meant by C - Rate limited. A smaller battery needs a higher discharge C-rate to put out the same power as a larger battery. However, my assumption is that these batteries are not limited by C-rate. Rather, the inverter is likely limited by number of amps.

If the inverter amp rating is the limiting factor, these cars could be identical in performance.

The LR battery has the capability of 400+kW but your single RWD motor cant handle that much power.

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy