Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have a 6MT car in addition to their Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put in over 100k miles on motorcycles, and somewhere over 250k on MT cars. I still had the Outback with the 6MT for about 6 weeks after getting the Y, before sending it to a suitable snow state where my mother can use it to take the miles off her trucks.

And nope, don't miss shifting gears at all. The benefit came when wanting to do harder accelerations, or for spiriting driving in the curves, but it's pretty rare that traffic is ever free enough to allow that, so it's just work, and miserable work in bumper to bumper. The one pedal driving removes the leg fatigue of constantly shifting between the gas and brake pedal (though could be a liability when driving a rental).

As for acceleration - the YP is faster than the BMW motorcycles I primarily owned, and not far behind the Daytona 1200, with a much lower risk and skill level needed to actually make use of that capability. Though it still requires open road, which is rarely present.

I put in over 100k miles on motorcycles, and somewhere over 250k on MT cars. I still had the Outback with the 6MT for about 6 weeks after getting the Y, before sending it to a suitable snow state where my mother can use it to take the miles off her trucks.

And nope, don't miss shifting gears at all. The benefit came when wanting to do harder accelerations, or for spiriting driving in the curves, but it's pretty rare that traffic is ever free enough to allow that, so it's just work, and miserable work in bumper to bumper. The one pedal driving removes the leg fatigue of constantly shifting between the gas and brake pedal (though could be a liability when driving a rental).

As for acceleration - the YP is faster than the BMW motorcycles I primarily owned, and not far behind the Daytona 1200, with a much lower risk and skill level needed to actually make use of that capability. Though it still requires open road, which is rarely present.
I agree that manual sucks where a Tesla shines: on the highway, stop and go traffic, tons of stop signs in a row, etc. The driving dynamic I love about manuals is the engine braking which makes you feel more connected and in control of the car. Luckily Tesla's one-pedal driving scratches that same itch.

Reactions: muti277
Ive had one on order since August of 2021 - frustrating process of waiting
Im curious how did you get your hands on one ?

I got lucky I guess. Placed an order at my local dealer in Dec 2021, got an allocation just one month later in Jan 2022 because the person in front of me wanted to wait for the CF packages. It got delivered April 2022. Got it at MSRP, no add ons, and it was the only one they ended up getting for the 2022 year.

I ended up just buying the OEM CF from the dealer and installing it myself.

Reactions: Konicom04
I got lucky I guess. Placed an order at my local dealer in Dec 2021, got an allocation just one month later in Jan 2022 because the person in front of me wanted to wait for the CF packages. It got delivered April 2022. Got it at MSRP, no add ons, and it was the only one they ended up getting for the 2022 year.

I ended up just buying the OEM CF from the dealer and installing it myself.
you lucky you !
First it was chip shortage, then CF shortage ( i didn't want to give up on it) - now i just feel like its a lost battle. Last time i went to the dealer ( December) they told me it will be a whole another year - I left and went straight to a Tesla dealer where they had the M3P i purchased that day
Already thinking about another one, so the BW will most likely get cancelled

If you cannot drive like this guy in a Harley, you are not doing it right. LOL

When I took the ERC class long ago (BMW purchase includes a voucher for either MSF class), there were two Harley owners debating the safety of taking their bikes out of the garage on a misty day.

Harley seems to have the ride or die types, that logs tens of thousands per year, and then the yuppy urban biker that logs tens of miles on Sundays only. Though as BMW got a bit flashier (from the 007 movie on), it was getting that same divide as well.

20230329_125534.jpg

If you like rowing the gears, get an RX-8. You have to really work to get to the power of the Renesis engine. That was my last ICE vehicle. I drove manual trans since beginning to drive in the mid 1970s and figured it was "part of who I am" and I'd miss it dearly. I never really have since getting rid of it well over a decade ago.
Yep, my other car is an RX-8. The gearbox is great and it is a great complement to the Tesla's smooth power and high performance.