Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have collision repair experience with Service King?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently there are only three Tesla licensed body shops in Maryland, as follows.

1. BMW of Rockville

2. Euro pros collision

3. Service King in Glen Burnie

I have to chose one to do the structural repairs to my car that resulted from being rear-ended at a stop light. Both Euro pros and BMW of Rockville have a 6-8 week back log of repairs. Service King may be able to do the repairs faster but I know nothing about them. Does anyone have experience with them? Do they do good work? Would you recommend them?

I will be dropping off my MS at the Service King Lorton (VA) location next week for paint work (getting rid of all rock chips on bumper, fenders, hood). I'll let you know how it goes.

Their estimate was on-par with other non-Tesla recommended shops. The fact that they are Tesla certified gave me the peace-of-mind to leave it with them.

I had a good experience with Service King in Gaithersburg. Clearly trying hard to please. Were very clear up front that Tesla's parts are slow and outside their control.

This location does mechanical work and paint work, but not structural repairs on teslas. They don't have the welding equipment for teslas (their other two locations in the area have it).

James Warmer handled my car. His card says he is the general manager. His email is [email protected].

There was a little question about a part number and he explained and we resolved it by email instead of having a surprise later.

I will be dropping off my MS at the Service King Lorton (VA) location next week for paint work (getting rid of all rock chips on bumper, fenders, hood). I'll let you know how it goes.

Their estimate was on-par with other non-Tesla recommended shops. The fact that they are Tesla certified gave me the peace-of-mind to leave it with them.
MONTGB: I hope you had a better experience at the Lorton Service King (SKL) than I did. In December 2017 I was rear ended while stopped in traffic - the accident crumpled my power liftgate, but destroyed the front end of the pickup truck that hit me. The liftgate would still operate and I drove the car for a few weeks until SKL could begin the repair. The techs were candid about the delays typical in receiving Tesla replacement parts and the likelihood that not all parts could be ordered at once - they would have to begin the repair and then see exactly what they would need (for example, my liftgate's glass was undamaged in the accident, but was broken when SKL attempted to re-install it in the new liftgate, so then had to order new glass).

Long story short - when I got the car back from SKL (which had promised at the outset it would be returned to me "as good as new" and charged the pick up truck driver's insurance company nearly five figures for the repair) water from rain and car washing was leaking into the liftgate - and into the vehicle. It was not a few drops of water; it was quarts of water that would pour from the around the power "close" button and the closure latch into the cargo area. When I returned the car to SKL, lots of finger pointing ensued, blaming Tesla for "design flaws", "bad gaskets", a blizzard of excuses. SKL did take the car back for another few days of diagnosis, but did not fix or even ameliorate the problem - rain and car wash water continued to pour into the cargo area. They contended it was not their problem or responsibility to repair. (I swear I am not making this up!) I then took the car to the Tysons Service Center (SC) which pointed out air gaps in the liftgate where the rear light assemblies are attached - where no sealant was applied. The SC decided to force SKL to fix the issue - dispatching my vehicle back to Lorton on a flatbed tow truck - providing step-by-step instructions for application of the sealant. When SKL returned the vehicle to the SC, some water was still penetrating into the cargo area (a second incomplete/inadequate repair), but this time, the SC decided to complete the repair itself.

The liftgate is no longer leaking, but the lack of professionalism and competence at SKL - combined with a stunning lack of integrity in the assertions made by their technicians left me pretty dumbfounded. Within days of getting the vehicle back from the SC, Elon Musk announced that Tesla would soon be inaugurating new in-house body shop capabilities - which can't come soon enough IMHO.

FYI there is a Baltimore area Tesla Certified body shop attached to Northwest BMW (not physically...same owner I think).

It is called Owings Mills Collision Center. My SC recommends them. The fixed paint wear on my car where the falcon wing doors rub, and and did a really nice job.

FYI there is a Baltimore area Tesla Certified body shop attached to Northwest BMW (not physically...same owner I think).

It is called Owings Mills Collision Center. My SC recommends them. The fixed paint wear on my car where the falcon wing doors rub, and and did a really nice job.
Thanks for the compliment!! Owings Mills Collision center thanks you for your business!!