Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have solar other than Tesla solar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(following is opinion post only, others may differ)

One of the worst places one can be in, in regards to buying solar (at least in my opinion) is buying it but not getting enough to fully offset not only your current bill but as much of your expected increase as you can.

Its human nature, but when people get solar, their electricity usage always goes up.. never down. Significant others / children in the house start leaving lights on more, and any request to go back to conserving is met with "but we have solar now, dont we?".

Additionally, if you dont try to offset 100% of your current usage (by offset that means "generate"), you end up in the situation where you have solar, have to conserve still, and also still have significant bills from the utility.

Couple that with the fact that there will be a push for more electrification (perhaps another EV etc) and also the fact that you will not simply be "adding panels" if you decide later you want more solar, and you have a recipe where you should get "as much as you can afford and fit on your roof, up to about 110-120% offset".

I personally would not purchase or accept a system that was only supposed to cover that little of my usage "right now" let alone any future increases.

With that all being said, its important to remember these are construction projects. There may be technical reason why they only suggested 66% (roof lines, etc), but I would push back on that if it were me.

One more reminder that this is just my personal opinion, and I am not trying to put myself forth as an expert or anything.

In addition to this, I'm definitely in the camp of pile on as much panels, ESS as you can all at once. You will very likely use a ton more power if you have solar or add an EV, multiple EVs. I used to normally use ~20kWh during the summer day, but I've been over 60 kWh now with charging the EV and more heavy AC use (because solar right?).

If you have an EV, you also need a lot to completely support charging it from solar alone. If not, you'll have to still pull from the grid or drain your batteries. You might not want to do that if it's about to go dark soon or your rates are very high.

I also think mentally, for folks, after you pay the big nut of solar, you won't miss the extra $$ for adding more since that's been mentally processed already. You do always remember and see your monthly bills being $10-$15 and not $100 some months or $50 some months. Wife will start asking why is our bills so high, I thought "we got solar" already?

With ESS, IOU price raises can be deflected a bit so after the pains of that 1st/final install payment, you now have a lot more control over your future electricity situation.

Reactions: jjrandorin
They came back with a new design. Says they only offer 400W panels. Can only go with 73% offset at 6kW 1 Powerwall. It is placed on three different locations on the roof.

I would get another quote from another solar company, if it were me, to see if another company could configure it in such a way as to get more coverage. I think I already talked about why I would do that in this thread. I personally wouldnt do solar with that amount of offset, if that estimate is actually at current consumption.

Reactions: h2ofun
I would get another quote from another solar company, if it were me, to see if another company could configure it in such a way as to get more coverage. I think I already talked about why I would do that in this thread. I personally wouldnt do solar with that amount of offset, if that estimate is actually at current consumption.
The only other company I actually seen was Sunrun but heard bad news about their customer service and other things. There are way too many to go through and not knowing who to trust. I am going to go through the thread to see which companies people are going with.

Also here are my kW

Jan-Dec 2021 was 6287 kWh /yr used for the year

July 2021-July 2022 9840 kWh /yr used

The 6kW Tesla can do says it would be 7345 kWh /yr and 7 days backup duration.

July bill was extremely high due to family visiting it was double what we usually pay in the summer.

The only other company I actually seen was Sunrun but heard bad news about their customer service and other things. There are way too many to go through and not knowing who to trust. I am going to go through the thread to see which companies people are going with.

Also here are my kW

July bill was extremely high due to family visiting it was double what we usually pay in the summer.

Definitely ignore that " 7 days backup" cause that isnt a thing.

Definitely ignore that " 7 days backup" cause that isnt a thing.
Okay got it.

I found a local solar company called Green Power Energy

7.3 kW 100% offset
Cost: $27,010 fed tax $8103 Net price $18,907
They don't give you the SREC up front like Tesla so I would get $72.84 a month from NJ according to the paper work but over the phone he said $69 average. Spring summer months would be more.

If I do a 20 year loan (you can pay off early or pay more without penalties) the rate is 5.74% payment $138.70 a month they factor in you will put the tax credit back in to the loan. They give you 18 months to do it. If you don't put the tax towards the loan after 18 months the loan payments would be $198.15 After everything I should be paying about $7100 for the solar panels.

I can go with their loan of 5.74% fixed rate. Or use my heloc at 4.75% up from 4% but I heard rates are going up he also did say rates are going up for that 5.74% he thinks sometime in September. I am not sure what the rates will be for my heloc when the rates do go up. I was thinking go with their loan which is 0% upfront and see what the rate is after September for my heloc.

The thing is this does not have powerwall so no backup for when the power goes out. They do offer but said they don't recommend the ones that are out now because battery isn't that good. They said you should wait until the technology gets better for the batteries. 30% has been extended so that would work out.

Tesla offered me 73% offset with powerwall at $20,550 and $14,560 after tax credit which will be the total cost because they take the SREC upfront. So the local company is better option but more upfront. Unless I have my facts wrong about the srec from Tesla.

The local company also has a dedicated team for tech after installation.

Okay got it.

I found a local solar company called Green Power Energy

7.3 kW 100% offset
Cost: $27,010 fed tax $8103 Net price $18,907
They don't give you the SREC up front like Tesla so I would get $72.84 a month from NJ according to the paper work but over the phone he said $69 average. Spring summer months would be more.

If I do a 20 year loan (you can pay off early or pay more without penalties) the rate is 5.74% payment $138.70 a month they factor in you will put the tax credit back in to the loan. They give you 18 months to do it. If you don't put the tax towards the loan after 18 months the loan payments would be $198.15 After everything I should be paying about $7100 for the solar panels.

I can go with their loan of 5.74% fixed rate. Or use my heloc at 4.75% up from 4% but I heard rates are going up he also did say rates are going up for that 5.74% he thinks sometime in September. I am not sure what the rates will be for my heloc when the rates do go up. I was thinking go with their loan which is 0% upfront and see what the rate is after September for my heloc.

The thing is this does not have powerwall so no backup for when the power goes out. They do offer but said they don't recommend the ones that are out now because battery isn't that good. They said you should wait until the technology gets better for the batteries. 30% has been extended so that would work out.

Tesla offered me 73% offset with powerwall at $20,550 and $14,560 after tax credit which will be the total cost because they take the SREC upfront. So the local company is better option but more upfront. Unless I have my facts wrong about the srec from Tesla.

The local company also has a dedicated team for tech after installation.
Since you are getting a loan, you need to consider that will be a lot of interest you will be paying over the next 20 years. This is how the solar companies do (most of them). Either they give you lower upfront cost like Tesla, they will recoup the "loss" with high interest for 20-25 years and they will always come on top, not the buyers.
Mine is 11 kw with 130% offset and I am going with 12 year "ZERO" interest, and I am paying about $189 a month before SREC.

Main reason to not do a loan tied to solar is when you sell or suddenly want to sell, it just complicates things uncessarily. I see a lease/loan in any solar talk and my eyes just glaze over and walk the other way.

My advice is to always simplify things and get outside financing so it's a straight "cash purchase" from the installer and it eliminates a possible "game/rip off" from another party.

Your bank/credit union is not going to play those games or have as many/any hidden fees so any savings you get from some complex loan is not worth it.

This is all my opinion of course, but our lives are busy enough already...I don't want to study/fine tooth comb a solar loan from an installer personally.

Since you are getting a loan, you need to consider that will be a lot of interest you will be paying over the next 20 years. This is how the solar companies do (most of them). Either they give you lower upfront cost like Tesla, they will recoup the "loss" with high interest for 20-25 years and they will always come on top, not the buyers.
Mine is 11 kw with 130% offset and I am going with 12 year "ZERO" interest, and I am paying about $189 a month before SREC.
How did you get 0 interest? Are you saying you just paid it upfront or you got a deal when the rates were low? This company also offers 0% interest but only for 18 months then 7%or something like that. I don't plan on taking the whole 20 years to pay it off. Probably 3 maybe 4 years.

Main reason to not do a loan tied to solar is when you sell or suddenly want to sell, it just complicates things uncessarily. I see a lease/loan in any solar talk and my eyes just glaze over and walk the other way.

My advice is to always simplify things and get outside financing so it's a straight "cash purchase" from the installer and it eliminates a possible "game/rip off" from another party.

Your bank/credit union is not going to play those games or have as many/any hidden fees so any savings you get from some complex loan is not worth it.

This is all my opinion of course, but our lives are busy enough already...I don't want to study/fine tooth comb a solar loan from an installer personally.
Thanks. It's from a heloc loan so I think it would be the same thing as far as having to pay it off before selling. But good point.

How did you get 0 interest? Are you saying you just paid it upfront or you got a deal when the rates were low? This company also offers 0% interest but only for 18 months then 7%or something like that. I don't plan on taking the whole 20 years to pay it off. Probably 3 maybe 4 years.
That's why you need to get the quotes from different companies (That's why I messaged you). There is no upfront or hidden fee other than you pay the federal tax amount by the 18th payment cycle, which is the same for all the solar loan companies.

Reactions: itsallaboutme
Which solar company or CU provides 0% interest. Pls let me know. I am thinking solar

Also here are my kW

I have Sunrun and Customer Service is very good.