Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have this piece fall out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine also fell off. Charge door needs a replacement.
SC explained that gluing it back will not work because nothing is supposed to be in between the magnet and door so it can sense door touches.

Just a warning that when the piece falls out it CAN cause a bigger problem than just not being able to touch the door to open/close it.

A few days ago, I wasn't able to plug my wall charger into the car, and was getting several charging errors on the screen. After spending almost a half hour with Tesla support, they said they'd have to send a ranger out to check it out. That hasn't happened yet because of the holiday.

BUT... I did some searching on YouTube and found someone having the exact same problem. He was able to get things working again by using double-sided tape to stick that piece back in the door.

I didn't even know that piece was missing in my car, until I looked and found it on the floor of my garage. As soon as I taped it back in, the charging worked again. I'm guessing the errors have to do with if the piece falls out while it's in the process of opening or closing?

Mine also fell off. Charge door needs a replacement.
SC explained that gluing it back will not work because nothing is supposed to be in between the magnet and door so it can sense door touches.

Curious so yesterday I tested it with my fingernail and it easily detached. I cleaned both surfaces with alcohol and 'Krazyglued' it back on. The adhesive worked really well. The door works normally from the screen, APP, charge handle button and by pushing on the closed door.

Mine fell off while driving and the car refused to charge. Had to wait for mobile service to come replace the port door.

In the interim, a small washer with double sided tape made the error go away until the service appointment.

CEC72C1C-61EF-410C-80A5-CF7456728C6A.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: TQCLove
Mine fell off. I live in Alaska so, out of curiosity, I decided to request support, just because I wanted to see if there would be any support up here. (I live in a town with no Tesla techs and no roads one could take to get here.)

Sure enough.. (a about two months later), a Tesla ranger flew into town and came to where I parked at work and took care of it for me. He roughed up the surface and then glued it on with an epoxy. He was unimpressed with the from-the-factory approach of gluing two smooth pieces of plastic with a tiny dab of glue. With all the care he took, I'm pretty sure I won't have the problem again.

So... Happy Tesla owner up here in the north !

Reactions: longshot49
Hate to revive an old and dead thread but just wanted to give an update to the charge port magnets falling off. Mine fell of months ago and I had held off repairing it because it didn’t make sense to me to replace the charge port rather than getting a replacement magnet. Apparently the procedure was to replace the entire port if you were missing this diamond shaped magnet. Well, I had a mobile tech come out a few weeks ago for some other minor issues and apparently Tesla finally decided that it’s more cost effective to replace the magnet than the charge port. So, they do have these magnets on hand now if anyone is missing one. Now I can open my charge port again by touching it.

• Informative
Reactions: TQCLove