Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone having problems using CCS on public chargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think scheduled charging only affects AC charging, not DC.

I’m at a supercharger now and the option to change the Start Charging At time is active but the “all week / weekdays” buttons are greyed out

77115085-A23A-4C0D-A375-81842A8C5F5A.jpeg

I've tried to use CCS on two different public chargers and both failed to connect. Only reason I can think of is that I have scheduled charging set up for my home with economy 7. Will this make a difference?

No, it shouldn't make any difference. I've used CYC (Chargeplacescotland) CCS using a RFID card successfully. Having a schedule set had no effect.

I've tried to use CCS on two different public chargers and both failed to connect. Only reason I can think of is that I have scheduled charging set up for my home with economy 7. Will this make a difference?

Public CCS fails more often than it works for me. But the rare occasions it has worked just go to show it’s the shoddy public infrastructure rather than the car (or the scheduled charging which I also have enabled).

I find that you need to do thinks in the correct order e.g. use the Card or App to initiate the Charge and then plug the Car in. I've existed in purely Public Charging for 6 Months with few Issues.

I echo the earlier suggestion someone make earlier about Zap Map which tries to show Broken Chargers that and User Comments are very useful,

Public CCS fails more often than it works for me. But the rare occasions it has worked just go to show it’s the shoddy public infrastructure rather than the car (or the scheduled charging which I also have enabled).
This!
Loads of public CCS chargers are a disgrace. If they do connect they charge at rates not much higher than AC, or they stop after a matter of minutes and you have to kick them off again.
I've only had reliability from Shell and Instavolt as a complete network (by that I mean - there's some great new polar one and useless old ones, but all the shell and instavolt are new). Sometimes the shell chargers have only managed 26KW .. which is still better than 11.
The biggest disappointment is the ecotricity network as it's more likely I'd need to rapid charge on a main road/motorway than a town or back road, and it's utterly useless.

It appears to be very patchy around the country because the 2 charger locations (CYC/ChargeplaceScotland) that I have used in the Borders have worked flawlessly for CCS. I'm not sure if it's luck of the draw or if some authorities are better at maintenance and repair.

Reactions: Roy W.
(CYC) Charge your Car or (CPS) both worked ok with my Hyundai Kona and BMW i3 so don't understand why they won't work with the M3.

The exact same stalls you tried to use with the other EVs? or a different location (operated by CYC / CPS)? I would have little faith in the latter ...

I've heard plenty of stories that more modern cars have failed to work with older CCS pumps. There seems to be a fair bit of evidence that the modern cars adhere correctly to the standard, and older pumps might not (i.e. whatever bug there is just didn't come to light at the time, or the standard has been updated but not the pumps). Probably to do with hand shaking [to initiate the charge] and/or safety enhancements.

I haven't been following it closely recently, but several months ago there was talk of Ecotricity upgrading their pumps to conform to the newer standard ... and it not happening. May well be that has happened by now ... but wouldn't surprise me if it was hit-and-miss at a given random CCS pump.

I would hope that somewhere where a Model-3 charge has been successful that any Model-3 would be able to charge there, but that certainly wasn't the case for all (for example) iPaces - some could charge at pretty much any CCS, and some couldn't charge at any,a nd most had problems with given brands (such as Ecotricity).

Worth a look on Plugshare / Zap-Map to see if any Tesla owners have left comments (either success or failure) as an indication of likely outcome. You probably need to use both APPs as people are only likely to leave a comment on one, or other, and comments are usually quite sparse - and thus can be quite old and possibly no longer relevant as a result.

Reactions: ythanbank