Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone having trouble loading the Tesla App. On the new Apple 5S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

2Pearls

Aug 10, 2013
NJ
I just got my wife the Apple 5S and we cannot load the Tesla Model S App. On her new phone, yet it works fine on her Apple 4 iPhone. We talked with Tesla Ownership and they stated that they would look into it and get back to us. Just curious if anyone else is having this problem with the new IOS7 software?

I have the iPhone 5 using IOS 7 and it works just fine. If you are using WiFi on your iPhone, turn it off and use cellular only. From what I understand, ios7 uses multipath IP, which transmits simultaneously over WiFi and cellular. Maybe there is an authentication issue.

I've never turned off WiFi and it usually connects, but once in a while it will just spin. My assumption has always been that either the Tesla servers are overwhelmed with requests, Tesla is down for maintenance, or there is a network problem. Connected or not to WiFi hasn't made a difference.

FWIW, 4.4 was rock solid, 4.5 takes two attempts for the app to do things such as close or vent the sunroof or use the climate control. My hope is that when 5.0 comes out it will be rock solid again. (Telsa seems to run on an "every other release isn't so good" rollout).

I have the iPhone 5 using IOS 7 and it works just fine. If you are using WiFi on your iPhone, turn it off and use cellular only. From what I understand, ios7 uses multipath IP, which transmits simultaneously over WiFi and cellular. Maybe there is an authentication issue.

AFAIK, iOS7 is currently only using multi path IP for Siri. Not open to other apps yet. Probably not the reason for the glitch.

I wonder what could be wrong as the App just spins and does not connect?

I had the same issue on my new Iphone 5s. It would quickly reject a bad password, but the correct password would just result in a hung login screen with a spinning circle. Uninstalling and reinstalling the app didn't solve the issue. I called Tesla Ownership and they said this was a sporadic known issue. The had me go into Settings, Safari, Block Cookies and change the setting from "Always" to "From third parties and advertisers" and then reboot the phone. That fixed the problem for me. The ownership rep said that seemed to fix the problem for most (but not all) people.

For what it's worth, the Tesla app on my iPhone 5s (AT&T, iOS 7.0.2) works just fine, with or without wifi, possibly even better than it did on the 4s, and my car has 5.0 firmware (1.35.102). I just checked, and my "Block Cookies" setting on Safari matches the recommendation that @Robbo mentioned.