Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App Using Apple Maps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was using the app today on my iPad, and noticed this:
A5D982E8-13C2-41C1-BA49-A22D486F6F17.jpeg

I opened the app on my iPhone as well, and got the same thing. It appears that the Tesla app is using Apple Maps, at least on Apple’s devices. Anyone noticed this before? Has it been this way all along but the logo is new? Personally, I’m a fan of Apple Maps so I’m glad to see this; I wish the car’s UI used Apple Maps too. Thoughts?

It's likely always been a Map API call for the app, just as nearly every other app that shows maps. It's easy and built-in..
As far as Tesla's maps, they are literally the worst of any available out there. I hope the team up with SOMEONE for better street maps AND topography. The 'satellite view' of the Tesla UI in the car is just awful.. and there's so much out there they could lean on to make it better
Or better yet, let the driver choose which maps and topography to show! It would be pretty neat if the topography maps of the Tesla would use the data Google Earth can supply =)))

..... Has it been this way all along but the logo is new? Personally, I’m a fan of Apple Maps so I’m glad to see this; I wish the car’s UI used Apple Maps too. Thoughts?
The iOS app uses Apple Maps to locate your car. The iOS app has always used (years) Apple Maps as long as I can remember.

Reactions: mycroftxxx
It's likely always been a Map API call for the app, just as nearly every other app that shows maps. It's easy and built-in..
As far as Tesla's maps, they are literally the worst of any available out there. I hope the team up with SOMEONE for better street maps AND topography. The 'satellite view' of the Tesla UI in the car is just awful.. and there's so much out there they could lean on to make it better
Or better yet, let the driver choose which maps and topography to show! It would be pretty neat if the topography maps of the Tesla would use the data Google Earth can supply =)))
They already use Google for satellite maps which you said is just awful. So not sure how Google Earth would help

Reactions: alexcue
Yes, and when that goes wrong (like a street near me that is now been closed to traffic) how do you let Tesla know? Both Apple Maps and Google Maps get it, but the car tries to turn into the barrier every day as I pass.

Yes, and when that goes wrong (like a street near me that is now been closed to traffic) how do you let Tesla know? Both Apple Maps and Google Maps get it, but the car tries to turn into the barrier every day as I pass.
Change it on OpenStreetMap. There are a few threads here previously on this dataset being the source for the map data that Tesla uses for routing:

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Change it on OpenStreetMap. There are a few threads here previously on this dataset being the source for the map data that Tesla uses for routing:

Aside: OpenStreetMap is used by MapBox, which is used by Supercharge.info. When I've edited it, it's taken a week or so to come into effect.

Good thing I drive past this closed street every day and the car tries to make the turn every time
You could place an intermediate waypoint to have it avoid the closed street. But you'd still have to disengage/reengage when you reach the waypoint. That's what the YouTube video guys do to make FSDb follow a route correctly.

Reactions: israndy
SAME
View attachment 919198
I opened the app on my iPhone as well, and got the same thing. It appears that the Tesla app is using Apple Maps, at least on Apple’s devices. Anyone noticed this before? Has it been this way all along but the logo is new? Personally, I’m a fan of Apple Maps so I’m glad to see this; I wish the car’s UI used Apple Maps too. Thoughts?
SAME

Attachments

• IMG_3903.jpeg
    IMG_3903.jpeg
    305 KB · Views: 69
I’ll take any maps over Google Garbage

Aside: OpenStreetMap is used by MapBox, which is used by Supercharge.info. When I've edited it, it's taken a week or so to come into effect.
There might be more to it. Tesla Nav thinks I can’t turn left onto my street. Same with Google maps.

But, openstreetmap shows left turn allowed.

I submitted feedback to Google, and will post back here if/when they implement the correction and also if that ends up propagating to my car.

I have a second example but it’s a deeper mystery. A road that Tesla thinks we can’t turn *right* into. Tesla Nav has us go straight, make a u-turn then return from the other side making a left turn. So strange. And in this case it’s ONLY the Tesla Nav doing this. Both openstreetmap And Google maps knows the right turn is allowed. It’s been like this for years.