Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone here get a refund for Acceleration Boost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The instant torque is addictive and the shove back in the seat is always enjoyable but I agree EVs have a way of dulling the driving experience for enthusiasts. No sound, no rowing your own gears, no smell, no tire spin, etc. The Model 3 entertains in many other ways and is a great daily driver but when it comes to pure driving enjoyment it can't tickle all the senses. You still need a true sports car if you want the best of both worlds.
Great opinion but personally I disagree. That sound, smell, tire spin etc is wasted energy that could be propelling you faster, but instead makes you look slow. Notice i said slow instead of cool because after getting my Model 3 thats how i look at these guys revving their engines and spinning their tires as they struggle for traction. I think “dude for all that noise you should be in the next county by now and instead you are still trying to cross the intersection, the intersection I blew through about 3 seconds ago after the light turned green and i put my foot down as i was sitting next to you.” I’m sure the “Lambo” sounds great and all but how much faster is it really? Now take the difference in price into consideration. Personally I feel i have the best of both worlds. More acceleration than 95% of the cars around me at a price I’m not embarrassed to talk about.

Great opinion but personally I disagree. That sound, smell, tire spin etc is wasted energy that could be propelling you faster, but instead makes you look slow. Notice i said slow instead of cool because after getting my Model 3 thats how i look at these guys revving their engines and spinning their tires as they struggle for traction. I think “dude for all that noise you should be in the next county by now and instead you are still trying to cross the intersection, the intersection I blew through about 3 seconds ago after the light turned green and i put my foot down as i was sitting next to you.” I’m sure the “Lambo” sounds great and all but how much faster is it really? Now take the difference in price into consideration. Personally I feel i have the best of both worlds. More acceleration than 95% of the cars around me at a price I’m not embarrassed to talk about.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Driving today on Interstate 80, I saw a Loud Mustang, a Subaru WRX and a Dodge Challenger all playing games ahead. Each one stomping the loud pedal to overtake the next, etc.

I was on Autopilot at 70mph watching all this, very smug with myself that I could embarrass all 3 of them *any damn time I wanted*.

This - this is fun. I don’t need to show up anyone - just knowing that I can is more than enough.

I get it but for a lot of car guys the driving experience is about more than just 0-60 times. A Miata ND was the slowest car I ever owned and turned out to the be to the most fun to drive. The exhaust sounds, running the tachometer up to 7k rpm, top down wind about the cabin, only 2,300lbs, shifting your own gears, etc.

Reactions: BR666T and TyH2009
I get it but for a lot of car guys the driving experience is about more than just 0-60 times. A Miata ND was the slowest car I ever owned and turned out to the be to the most fun to drive. The exhaust sounds, running the tachometer up to 7k rpm, top down wind about the cabin, only 2,300lbs, shifting your own gears, etc.
This. Some people aren’t “car enthusiasts” and won’t understand, but that’s ok.

Reactions: raptor5244
I agree wholeheartedly.

Driving today on Interstate 80, I saw a Loud Mustang, a Subaru WRX and a Dodge Challenger all playing games ahead. Each one stomping the loud pedal to overtake the next, etc.

I was on Autopilot at 70mph watching all this, very smug with myself that I could embarrass all 3 of them *any damn time I wanted*.

This - this is fun. I don’t need to show up anyone - just knowing that I can is more than enough.

Now, I am not condoning actions of those three jokers but it sounds like they were having the fun.

Make sure you race a Hellcat or Corvette Z06 from a stop since they will easily chase and pass us down at highways speeds but the Tesla has a lot more usable power for the street.

Go to 1:00 in the video. and c'mon, you have to at least like the sound of the supercharger whine. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Phlier and TyH2009
I agree wholeheartedly.

From a 70 mph roll, depending what trim of Mustang and Challenger, probably not.

Reactions: Phlier
Did we just become best friends?

Wanna go do karate in the garage?

laughing.gif

Roush*

Pretty sure a LR AWD wouldn’t run for long at 70 mph with a new Mustang GT or Challenger SRT 8 either. Those speed is where they start to pick up speed.
You mean they start to catch up at speeds that will get your license revoked. Whats the point in that. Dont get me wrong ive owned a Mustang GT, BMW135i, BMW 335, VW GTI and an Audi S4, all of them chipped and as bolt on as you could get. My model 3 performance has at a fundamental, level changed how i think about acceleration and driving pleasure in general and on top of that i didnt need to spend thousands of dollars in addition to the purchase price to get it to perform the way i want. When at the stoplight to want to get all loud and obnoxious in your Mustang or Charger, thats fine. You can be all loud and obnoxious when your behind me too, and if you want to go 90 to “catch up” when i hit the speed limit whatever.

Last edited:
Roush*

Pretty sure a LR AWD wouldn’t run for long at 70 mph with a new Mustang GT or Challenger SRT 8 either. Those speed is where they start to pick up speed.

Thank you. I work with a "Rausch" so that's just force of habit. Sorry.

Speed limit here is 65. Who beats who at 75+ is irrelevant to me; I'm not taking my car to a track ... and if those knuckleheads want to haul ass down the NJ Turnpike, they can do it when my family and I aren't around ... not interested in becoming a statistic.

Thank you. I work with a "Rausch" so that's just force of habit. Sorry.

Speed limit here is 65. Who beats who at 75+ is irrelevant to me; I'm not taking my car to a track ... and if those knuckleheads want to haul ass down the NJ Turnpike, they can do it when my family and I aren't around ... not interested in becoming a statistic.
Cool. Don’t keep thinking you’re faster than everything on the road though.

Cool. Don’t keep thinking you’re faster than everything on the road though.

I'm sure there's plenty out there that are faster... but those 3 knuckleheads, I knew I could pass all 3 of 'em. Even if I'm just telling myself that in my head, it's good enough. I'm not in any mood or position to prove my sense of reality right or wrong.

That said, I know I always (always!) have more than enough acceleration at foot for any situation that may crop up - a quick merge, emergency pull-away, whatever. There's no denying that ...

Reactions: Rachmaninov
I have had numerous great muscle (442s etc) and sports cars (Miata, S2000,etc) but I have never had as much fun on the streets as I do with my Stealth.

An important point is that there are very few cars that can actually perform as well on the street and almost none that can go from Clark Kent to Superman and back to Clark Kent mode instantly.

I have had numerous great muscle (442s etc) and sports cars (Miata, S2000,etc) but I have never had as much fun on the streets as I do with my Stealth.

An important point is that there are very few cars that can actually perform as well on the street and almost none that can go from Clark Kent to Superman and back to Clark Kent mode instantly.

I used to have an S2K, and driving it top down like you stole it through the twisties on the Skyline in the Santa Cruz mountains was epic. I loved that car. Next to my e36 M3, it’s been a favorite in terms of the fun to flog category.

I don’t have that same connection with my Model 3 but agree that for a daily it is hard to beat.

Miatas are an absolute blast. Drove them (5) as a daily drivers for 20 years. Smiled every time. Still have one in the driveway I want to fix up for my soon to be 16yo.