Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone know what these dots under PRND mean?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
76EC0F66-A700-4D7F-B253-8218DA33C6B7.jpeg
I assume it has something to do with regenerative braking but local Tesla service didn’t know either.

KFORE is right. I charged to 100% for a trip and had no regeneration (it coasted), and showed even more dots than that until I ran down the battery a bit. Then the regeneration returned and the dots changed to the line.

Yes.

(Smarta$$ answer based upon query used in thread title.)

Related note: When I rented a 3 back in January I saw warning message the morning after the car was delivered to me. It said that regen had an issue. I thought I had broken the car. Only after I did some reading here did I realize that cold weather affects the battery charging.

Related note: When I rented a 3 back in January I saw warning message the morning after the car was delivered to me. It said that regen had an issue. I thought I had broken the car. Only after I did some reading here did I realize that cold weather affects the battery charging.

Same. I even called it out as a bug with the firmware in my original review post for the car. It was still under 30F back then.

Yeah, page 43 https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf

On the energy bar, black (or white in night brightness) represents energy being used during acceleration and green indicates energy being gained through regenerative braking. A dashed line appears on the energy bar when power available for acceleration or power that can be gained by regenerative braking is being limited. Model 3 limits power for many reasons. Here are just a few examples:

• Acceleration may be limited when the Battery is reaching a low state of charge or if the powertrain is hot. • Both acceleration and regenerative braking may be limited when the ambient temperature is either very warm or cool.

• Regenerative braking may be limited when the Battery is fully charged.

View attachment 323935 I assume it has something to do with regenerative braking but local Tesla service didn’t know either.

I see you're located in MN. Wait until the winter. Those dotted lines are going to look like this:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Interesting. I only charge to 80% and still get these dots on my short commute. The conditions don’t seem to match any listed in the reasons why the dots would appear. Maybe the battery is just cold even though the temps are in the 50s

Interesting. I only charge to 80% and still get these dots on my short commute. The conditions don’t seem to match any listed in the reasons why the dots would appear. Maybe the battery is just cold even though the temps are in the 50s

For me it seems to need to be above 70 to have no dots when starting out. Now with the temp being in the 40s a couple day I don't even get rid of all the dots before I finish my short commute.

And then on the road trip to Winnipeg and it'd change to:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If I was in Winnipeg (or anywhere cold) -

. . . - - - . . .

Yes to even with "temps in the 50s". We noticed this in our Model S too first year we were driving it, although it appears in yellow there so more noticeable on the screen. Surprised us as 50s didn't seem all that cold to us. Got warmer outside and not there.