Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone like the New Model 3 smell?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model 3 since March. The new car smell is still slightly detectable when you first get in. But pretty much gone now. Also, no more weird smells from the HVAC, though I've always expected weird smells from HVACs so was never an issue.

I love new car smells. might give that spray a try.

I love my new car smell too. Its too bad mines was a demo model which meant it already had a whole month of waste new car smell :'(. Since I tend to sleep and eat in my car more often than I should, I'm afraid of when it'll turn from new car smell to the me-car smell....

It may smell nicer but it is still a toxic soup of chemicals. I had to use alergy medicine a few days into getting my M3 to stop a massive spate of itching on my legs, shins, and feet... so I opened the window a bit after that to clear all those chemicals out.

Wow, you just ruined the new car smell experience. :eek:

You may be right that it is smell of chemicals. I don't know if it is toxic, tho'.

I have owned it for a month now, but the smell still lingers but not as strong.

It doesn't bother me, but it bothers my wife. She remarks on it every now and then. Doesn't give us headaches or anything though. We bought a BMW about 2 months after the 3 and admittedly, the BMW smells far better. Dunno if it's the leather or what, but it does smell a lot better.

I use to hate new car smell as a child. It made me constantly sick and hated ICE cars in general and into clean air/EV's as a child (thus my current career in green tech field....). But then they figured out how to make it smell a whole lot better ~2000s and now I'm in love with it. I think there were a lot more VOCs before 2000 than there are now.

I can tell you sure love the car! :)

2950 miles on odometer.....27 days of ownership.....and 17 supercharges....

• Love
Reactions: Maximilien
I use to hate new car smell as a child. It made me constantly sick and hated ICE cars in general and into clean air/EV's as a child (thus my current career in green tech field....). But then they figured out how to make it smell a whole lot better ~2000s and now I'm in love with it. I think there were a lot more VOCs before 2000 than there are now.

2950 miles on odometer.....27 days of ownership.....and 17 supercharges....

At the rate you are supercharging (assuming at the constant rate), you may be better off with keeping FUSC than getting $5K back.

At the rate you are supercharging (assuming at the constant rate), you may be better off with keeping FUSC than getting $5K back.

Yeah I thought about it...but if I wasn't using FUSC, I'd just charge at home.....at $0.09/kWh except for road trips which I don't imagine would be more than 4-5k miles a year on average.

So assuming 5k/year SC miles, 25k/year home charging (HC) @ 280 Wh/mi (lifetime average so far).
Let say 5 years.
SC kWh = 5000*0.280 * 5 years = 1400 kWh * 5 = 7,000 (I think Tesla charges for DC energy in your battery)
HC kWh = 25000*(0.280*1.1) * 5 years= 7700 kW = 38,500 (10% AC charging losses)
SC Cost @$0.26: $1820
HC Cost @0.09: $3465
Total Cost over 5 years; $5285
- Not pictured, less wear and tear on battery. convenience of charging at home.

It's a tough decision for me to give up FUSC, but I really pushed my expenses to get the P3D+, so having $5k back would be really nice....

Reactions: Maximilien
Normally, I don't like the new car smell as I get vertigo. I didn't like the new car smell in Model S and Model X. I always rolled down the windows for couple months so that the smell goes away. Model X smell went away after like 6 months or so.

But for some weird reason, Model 3 smell is more pleasant and I am not feeling dizzy. In fact I like it and I am not opening window to keep it last long. This is weird because the ride is smoother with Model S(good handling) and X (Smart Air Suspension). My Model 3 handling and ride feel stiffer but opposite result is perceived.

Maybe because it is the psychological effect? or maybe Tesla added different smell?

Well, at least I seem to be cured from new car smell. Thank you, Model 3!

It's horrible.

I picked it up my 3 seven days ago and didn't think the smell was that bad at first. But it seems to have grown stronger since then.

It's nauseating. And I'm going to find some sort of air freshener to try and mask it.

The 3 smelled great, when my friend got his S I would start to feel sick when going to lunch with him. Now that i think about it I think it was the toxic smell mixed with me not diving and the heat. It went away after a while though. I haven't felt that way in the 3 ever.

The Shell will probably be gone by the time I get the car back.

Lol- I finally got around to buy a bottle of this!
It sorta smells like a new car scent, but not *exactly* the Tesla new car smell... will need to let it sit overnight and I’ll see what my first impression is when I get into my M3 tomorrow...
2D91FA90-46C4-4B80-9F06-919EDCF47791.jpeg

Reactions: Glamisduner
Lol- I finally got around to buy a bottle of this!
It sorta smells like a new car scent, but not *exactly* the Tesla new car smell... will need to let it sit overnight and I’ll see what my first impression is when I get into my M3 tomorrow...
View attachment 352427
Update on the “New car scent” air freshener spray:
It is terrible. Smells like synthetic vinyl and gives me a headache and makes me nauseated. Do NOT buy. I wonder if Amazon will accept a return on this.

Additional update:
Amazon is awesome. I requested to return the item, and they didn't even want me to return the item after refunding!
11-13-2018 9-26-30 PM.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MXWing
I think I’m going to wait until summer to order mine. New car smell gives me headaches. I drove in a model 3 last week and it still had a bit of it, it was 9 months old. I agree though, the model 3 doesn’t smell like “typical” new car smell. It’s got a different odor to it.

6 months later and the car smell is starting to rub off. Anyone know how I can get the smell back?

I remember several months back the smell was gone bc someone brought food in my car and I had to air it out via the window and noticed when I went into my car the smell was gone. There was a week where I didn't use my car bc I was out of town and because the doors and windows never opened, the smell was there again when I came back