Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone non-owner want me to help them get an M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just thinking that Tesla should allow owners who want to wait on the performance or AWD model to "give" their reservations to a non-owner who wants a car now - without losing a reservation spot for the car they want in the future. There are a lot of pissed of non-owners right now and this would help alleviate that.

With that said, I just found out that, as an owner, I can reserve now and get a car some time in March or April. I am on the fence about actually getting an M3 because I don't like smaller cars. So, I was thinking that I could use my spot to help someone out. I could reserve now, and have a non-owner configure the car they want. Of course, I'd have to actually buy it.

I'm not even sure this would work being that I'd surely have to pay tax in Georgia, and then the buyer would have to do the same in their own state (unless they live in a state that doesn't have tax on private car sales). I'm not looking to make a penny. I'd just like to help a non-owner get a car without having to pay a $10k premium. And yes, I'd qualify for the tax rebate and you can have that too. I really don't want to make a penny.

Anyway, if anyone thinks this could work and wants to talk about it, PM me.

I am an owner, I had 2, first minute, in store, reservations that have been delivered to close family members. I am waiting for Model Y. In mid January 2018, I reserved another Model 3, and my earliest delivery is "Late 2018". I would be curious if you reserved, what your delivery would be?

@Buddyroe,
Check out the federal tax credits rules here. There is a rule about not buying for resale.
  • You are the owner of the vehicle. If the vehicle is leased, only the lessor and not the lessee, is entitled to the credit.
  • You placed the vehicle in service during your tax year.
  • The vehicle is manufactured primarily for use on public streets, roads, and highways.
  • The original use of the vehicle began with you.
  • You acquired the vehicle for use or to lease to others, and not for resale.
  • You use the vehicle primarily in the United States.

There is already a thread concerning how to give a 'friend' your Model 3 reservation without harm to either party.

All the registration info is done in the new owner's name, all monies are paid by the new owner, who gives the reservationist the deposits back. If there is any question, just say you are 'life partners'. You will not have to demonstrate your commitment, but that's up to you. :D

Personally, I've always had a pet peeve about line cutting, but that does not fit in with modern times, where even Disneyland endorses cutting line as do public highways. Like opening doors for women, a memory of past days and ways.

• Helpful
Reactions: Swift
I believe that the date ranges from Tesla are a bit on the "high optimistic" side, especially with you becoming a new owner and just now reserving the M3. As an example, we configured in late January and haven't had a VIN assigned yet. We were told that we should be taking delivery the first week of March. Just giving you a current example of the timelines.

normally, with an asset like a sports car or a tractor-trailer, it's a good idea to set up an llc to take title. then, if you later want to sell, you just sell the new buyer the llc, rather than having the llc sell them the car and pay tax on that.
here's a book about how and why.
How to Be Invisible: Protect Your Home, Your Children, Your Assets ...
https://www.amazon.com/How-Be-Invisible-Protect-Children/dp/1250010454
How to Be Invisible: Protect Your Home, Your Children, Your Assets, and Your Life Hardcover – July 17, 2012. ... In this thoroughly updated third edition of his immensely popular guide How to Be Invisible, J.J.... How to Be Invisible: The Essential Guide to Protecting Your Personal….

however, i'm not sure how that works with the tax credit.

I was just thinking that Tesla should allow owners who want to wait on the performance or AWD model to "give" their reservations to a non-owner who wants a car now - without losing a reservation spot for the car they want in the future. There are a lot of pissed of non-owners right now and this would help alleviate that.

With that said, I just found out that, as an owner, I can reserve now and get a car some time in March or April. I am on the fence about actually getting an M3 because I don't like smaller cars. So, I was thinking that I could use my spot to help someone out. I could reserve now, and have a non-owner configure the car they want. Of course, I'd have to actually buy it.

I'm not even sure this would work being that I'd surely have to pay tax in Georgia, and then the buyer would have to do the same in their own state (unless they live in a state that doesn't have tax on private car sales). I'm not looking to make a penny. I'd just like to help a non-owner get a car without having to pay a $10k premium. And yes, I'd qualify for the tax rebate and you can have that too. I really don't want to make a penny.

Anyway, if anyone thinks this could work and wants to talk about it, PM me.
You know, if everyone is like you, this world would be a better place for all of us.

Interesting. I am a non owner and my delivery estimate was pushed back to July. My husband’s relative is a Tesla employee and was asking family if anyone wanted to reserve through him, but I didn’t want to lose the tax credit. I’m fine waiting unless I lose the credit.