Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone on the fence about ordering new X vs just waiting for refresh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... He lies, it's well documented. ...
A couple Elon missteps:
2014/2015: Driverless is a solved problem
Funding secured.
I wouldn't say "no refresh" is a lie. He has in his mind what a refresh is. Doesn't have to match what you and I think a refresh is. Is a battery chemistry change with 10% improvement in range and 250 kW charge rate a refresh? No, but very significant to us.

A couple Elon missteps:
2014/2015: Driverless is a solved problem
Funding secured.
I wouldn't say "no refresh" is a lie. He has in his mind what a refresh is. Doesn't have to match what you and I think a refresh is. Is a battery chemistry change with 10% improvement in range and 250 kW charge rate a refresh? No, but very significant to us.

A couple? I see you've decided to conveniently forget all of the timing proclamations for AP, EAP, FSD... How quaint...

Elon lies. It's just that simple. He lies out of necessity, he lies out of hubris, he lies for other motivations not readily apparent...

Jeff

I pulled the trigger last week on a new X long range and was hoping that the delivery rep would find a demo steal like some other stories I’ve read, being cheaper by $10k+ and free charging. But finally just a few days ago it was announced Free Superchargering again. I’m happy I’m getting best of both worlds.

Reactions: alloverx
I pulled the trigger too. I have a 2012 Model S P85, and a Model 3 RWD LR. Decided that it was time to finally switch out the S after nearly 7 years, and I figured the raven changes were good enough for now. Couldn't wait any longer for something more significant. I ordered the X performance on July 13th before the pricing change, and received the car today. The pricing change ended up working out for me as the car would have been $3k more expensive if I had waited.
Were you able to argue for the free charging ?

I pulled the trigger last week on a new X long range and was hoping that the delivery rep would find a demo steal like some other stories I’ve read, being cheaper by $10k+ and free charging. But finally just a few days ago it was announced Free Superchargering again. I’m happy I’m getting best of both worlds.
Congrats, what color/interior/seat configuration you ordered? I'm going to see if I can get 10k off on inventory when come September. Hope they will have a refresh by then but I'm not counting on it.

Model S range and interior update imminent?

@glusc2002 , I remember reading the thread linked above in early 2017 when debating my purchase. And here we are over TWO YEARS LATER and it’s still being debated.

My dude, buy the car you want. Tesla doesn’t operate like other car manufacturers. This is sometimes good (and sometimes very not-so-good), but one thing you should not do is try to time a refresh. If you did, you’d be waiting like the guys in that other thread who were sure a refresh was “imminent” back in 2017. And in 2018 electrek ran an article that an interior redesign was imminent. Still waiting...

All garbage so far. I love my June 2017 X and don’t regret missing this or that one bit. Good luck either way!

Reactions: glusc2002
Congrats, what color/interior/seat configuration you ordered? I'm going to see if I can get 10k off on inventory when come September. Hope they will have a refresh by then but I'm not counting on it.

I got white, long range, 22", 5 seater. I have a kid on the way so it'll be at least a few years before another and i really wanted to maximize the cargo space. the extra compartment in the mid section and 60/40 split made it an easier decision. ill use the saved money for ceramic tint and PPF. Its possible Sept you get a discounted price even steeper or maybe performance will be standard and cheaper by a bit, thats what im guessing.

Model S range and interior update imminent?

@glusc2002 , I remember reading the thread linked above in early 2017 when debating my purchase. And here we are over TWO YEARS LATER and it’s still being debated.

My dude, buy the car you want. Tesla doesn’t operate like other car manufacturers. This is sometimes good (and sometimes very not-so-good), but one thing you should not do is try to time a refresh. If you did, you’d be waiting like the guys in that other thread who were sure a refresh was “imminent” back in 2017. And in 2018 electrek ran an article that an interior redesign was imminent. Still waiting...

All garbage so far. I love my June 2017 X and don’t regret missing this or that one bit. Good luck either way!

thanks bro! im really excited about the X, i think as-is, its such as great design and i actually prefer the in dash screen over my wife's M3 fixed screen. I think she does too but she's got used to her design and minimalist interior.

Hi All,

First of all, let me share that this is my first post, so if you feel its not the correct thread to ask these questions, please do guide accordingly.

So I live in GTA, Canada and have started understanding more and more about Model X.
I have been reading a lot about the car and had a few questions, which I think have not been asked consolidated, and so may help any owner who is looking to buy a used model X.
So here they are:

1. How will one know if the Model they are buying had "Full Autonomous Driving". Is there a way to look for that in the Dash Screen? Probably a version etc?

2. I have heard there have been some problems with the Falcon Wing doors. I know it was there in 2016 for sure, but are new buyers still getting those issues?

3. Which version of AS should one go for?

4. Which year Model X had the center seats fully folding (Flat)?

5. What is the total average running cost(monthly) of Model X?

6. When going for Vehicle inspection, is there a Cheat book one can refer that lists the most important things to check for?

Thanks all for the help in advance and am looking forward to the day I get my hands on the technological marvel.

Regards,
GD

Hi All,

First of all, let me share that this is my first post, so if you feel its not the correct thread to ask these questions, please do guide accordingly.

So I live in GTA, Canada and have started understanding more and more about Model X.
I have been reading a lot about the car and had a few questions, which I think have not been asked consolidated, and so may help any owner who is looking to buy a used model X.
So here they are:

1. How will one know if the Model they are buying had "Full Autonomous Driving". Is there a way to look for that in the Dash Screen? Probably a version etc?

2. I have heard there have been some problems with the Falcon Wing doors. I know it was there in 2016 for sure, but are new buyers still getting those issues?

3. Which version of AS should one go for?

4. Which year Model X had the center seats fully folding (Flat)?

5. What is the total average running cost(monthly) of Model X?

6. When going for Vehicle inspection, is there a Cheat book one can refer that lists the most important things to check for?

Thanks all for the help in advance and am looking forward to the day I get my hands on the technological marvel.

Regards,
GD

You'd get more attention if you started your own thread for the questions instead of burying them at the end of this thread.

For a car equipped with enhanced Autopilot, I'm not sure how you can tell if it has paid for Full Self Driving. There are options in the center screen that only show up if the car has the features, but right now there aren't any that are in FSD but not eAP to see (that may change soon, or may not.)

My 2016 had no FWD issues, my 2019 hasn't so far either. YMMV, but I think the majority are fine.

Maybe you mean versions of Autopilot hardware (AP)?

Everything except AP1 is supposed to be upgradable to full self driving. I'd suggest at least AP2.5, because they redid the car's electronic architecture and created safety redundancy. Right now we aren't aware of any differences between AP2.5 and AP3 except for the AP computer, which will be upgraded for FSD.

No 6 seat X has ever folded the middle row, including current production. Every 5 seat is folding. The 7 seat changed somewhere in 2017 I believe.

I don't know how to answer your cost question. The only routine costs are electricity, washer fluid, tires, and depreciation. The cost of electricity varies widely by location and charging method, and the rest are generally insignificant, except for depreciation.

You'd get more attention if you started your own thread for the questions instead of burying them at the end of this thread.

For a car equipped with enhanced Autopilot, I'm not sure how you can tell if it has paid for Full Self Driving. There are options in the center screen that only show up if the car has the features, but right now there aren't any that are in FSD but not eAP to see (that may change soon, or may not.)

My 2016 had no FWD issues, my 2019 hasn't so far either. YMMV, but I think the majority are fine.

Maybe you mean versions of Autopilot hardware (AP)?

Everything except AP1 is supposed to be upgradable to full self driving. I'd suggest at least AP2.5, because they redid the car's electronic architecture and created safety redundancy. Right now we aren't aware of any differences between AP2.5 and AP3 except for the AP computer, which will be upgraded for FSD.

No 6 seat X has ever folded the middle row, including current production. Every 5 seat is folding. The 7 seat changed somewhere in 2017 I believe.

I don't know how to answer your cost question. The only routine costs are electricity, washer fluid, tires, and depreciation. The cost of electricity varies widely by location and charging method, and the rest are generally insignificant, except for depreciation.

Thanks for taking time to reply back. :)

I didnt wanted to start a thread for my first post as I thought there may be answers somewhere.

Any pointers to look for when we have to go for in the car. Reason I am asking is that since it's different from a conventional car, are there any issues that have been reported specific to Model X that one should try to check in the first go?

Model X has a configuration page on their website. You simple click through it and will get all the options and pricing. Also estimated delivery date and where to send your deposit.

Will tell you your battery options, wheels, colors, etc. Takes only a few minutes.

Thanks for taking time to reply back. :)

I didnt wanted to start a thread for my first post as I thought there may be answers somewhere.

Any pointers to look for when we have to go for in the car. Reason I am asking is that since it's different from a conventional car, are there any issues that have been reported specific to Model X that one should try to check in the first go?

They've been very solid cars overall so far (of course, the oldest of them are barely four years old.) You'll want to make sure all the seals look properly seated, especially around the Falcon Wing Doors, and that the FWDs operate smoothly, fit well when closed, and aren't rubbing the paint. Most of them are fine and it's usually just a cosmetic issue anyway, but that's probably the most trouble prone area.

Look at the Rated mileage and Percentage the battery is showing - comparing that to what it was EPA rated for will show you how much the car has lost (though in my experience the brand new "rated miles" on the display is five miles less than the EPA rating - might be a coincidence, but my 2016 X75D was 237 EPA miles and 232 when at 100% initially. My Performance Raven is 305 EPA and 300 Rated new.

All just a numbers game, doesn't really matter - you just want to know how the used car compares to what it had when new. Teslas mostly don't degrade much at all - 5% after 50k isn't uncommon, and 10% lost after 100+k seems to be the norm so far.