Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone received a VIN with 19” wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been a few deliveries of 19" wheels, but I havent seen anyoine with VIN's from the recent batch.

Not sure why they are not offering them at the moment. I had to drop them when I upgraded to LRAWD.

Interesting. I was planning on ordering a set from France but I thought that might happen (EU 19" option removed) and looked into USA instead. Then Tesla UK honoured my request to add them to my order because I had initially ordered my car before the option was removed. They also said it wouldn't impact my delivery date. Hmmmm.

@-DB- @Huggybear Having thought about this, the only reason I can think of as to why they have removed the option is the simplification of spec variants for international shipping and logistics. Particularly as they are manufacturing variants before matching orders.

One more variant like wheels doubles the permutations of specs to match to orders. EG 1 wheel option = 60 permutations and 2 wheel options = 120 permutations (for 3 models, 5 colours, 2 interiors, 2 wheels and 2 Towbars (a towbar or not) = 120 permutations to manufacture, ship and match = more margin for error = more cost and time.

Thinking about it, reducing the choice of wheels to 1 reduces the permutations by a factor of 2. There are no wheel choices (LRAWD and SR+ have 18" and P has 20").

It's not that simple because you couldn't choose a different wheel option or a towbar for every model, but you get my point. I can't remember all the option changes precisely, but it has been something like this...

SR+, LRAWD, P with choice of colour and interior on all 3 (plus wheels and Towbar on 2) = 90 Permutations
SR+, P-, P+ with choice of colour on all 3 (no tow, Interior or wheel choice) = ONLY 15 Permutations
SR+, P-, P+ with choice of colour and interior on all 3 (no tow or wheel choice) = 30 Permutations
SR+, P-, P+ with choice of colour and interior on all 3 (Towbar on SR+ no wheel choice) = 40 Permutations
SR+, LRAWD, P with choice of colour and interior on all 3 (Towbar on 2) = 50 Permutations

So they seem to have settled on 50 Permutations for now.

If they added the 19" Wheel choice back it would go up to 90 again (70 if it was just for LRAWD).

SR+, LRAWD, P with choice of colour and interior on all 3 (plus wheels and Towbar on 2) = 90 Permutations

70 would seem a reasonable compromise and may tweak orders up on LRAWD, but it's still 20 more permutations to confuse VIN/Order matching.

I think this is the reason.

Arguably wheels are an easy retrofit (as is a spoiler) but it still massively complicates the whole process, (more than just for a spoiler).

Most people say FSD is a software option.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Roy W. and -DB-
19s with a sc vin and delivery estimate. You're a rare commodity. What's the rest of your options?

Pearl white, no FSD. I have an early reservation and a <200 invoice number, so would hope that’s helped. I’ve now had it confirmed by Tesla that I’ve been allocated a VIN.

It’s a bit strange that they’re no longer offering the 19’s - I read somewhere that they are supply constrained, or it could be they’re trying to keep things as simple as possible by reducing options.

Last edited:
I think this is more likely the reason.

What's your interior choice and when did you make your reservation? If your initial order no is <200 you must have ordered on 1/5/19? Did you have finance, trade-in? Do you actually have a proper full-fat VIN and final invoice?

Want me to throw in my star-sign and inside leg measurement too? :D

Black interior, line waiter, 1 May, Cash, 42XXXX VIN, no final invoice.

• Funny
Reactions: davidmc
Same here still waiting no VIN.19" Alloys.September delivery I think.At least a 69 plate anyway.
Hi @Thunderbird1 Any news on your delivery date/VIN/Final invoice? I've heard nothing since the last text I received from Tesla which said "Tesla Update : Deliveries will continue through August and September. Once your car is in transit we will provide your estimated delivery week via Email." So I can only assume my car isn't even in transit yet. My mind boggles at the lack of communication from Tesla leaving everything so open-ended. June, then July, then August, then September, will it be October next and onto November...?

Reactions: Roy W. and navt