Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone reconsidering their order after seeing how Elon is reacting to COVID-19?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't tout Sweden as an example. They have been lax in implementing social distancing and are now having an emergent epidemic. South Korea and Germany are better examples of testing.

Their efforts focused on the vulnerable quarantining vs everyone stay at home. I'm curious to see their per capita deaths vs just disease occurrence.

Their efforts focused on the vulnerable quarantining vs everyone stay at home. I'm curious to see their per capita deaths vs just disease occurrence.
Sweden's Relaxed Approach to the Coronavirus Could Already Be Backfiring
Sweden has a relatively high case fatality rate: as of April 8, 7.68% of the Swedes who have tested positive for COVID-19 have died of the virus. Neighboring countries, like Norway and Denmark, have case fatality rates of 1.46% and 3.85% respectively. (The U.S. case fatality rate is 3.21%.) While Sweden’s elevated case fatality rate could be a result of its low testing rates compared to its neighbors, experts say Sweden’s laissez-faire approach could also be to blame.

Sweden Coronavirus: 10,483 Cases and 899 Deaths - Worldometer
'They are leading us to catastrophe': Sweden's coronavirus stoicism begins to jar
Panic, though, is exactly what many within Sweden’s scientific and medical community are starting to feel. A petition signed by more than 2,000 doctors, scientists, and professors last week – including the chairman of the Nobel Foundation, Prof Carl-Henrik Heldin – called on the government to introduce more stringent containment measures. “We’re not testing enough, we’re not tracking, we’re not isolating enough – we have let the virus loose,” said Prof Cecilia Söderberg-Nauclér, a virus immunology researcher at the Karolinska Institute. “They are leading us to catastrophe.”

Ethnic minorities bear the brunt of Sweden’s coronavirus deaths | World | The Sunday Times

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Sweden's Relaxed Approach to the Coronavirus Could Already Be Backfiring
Sweden has a relatively high case fatality rate: as of April 8, 7.68% of the Swedes who have tested positive for COVID-19 have died of the virus. Neighboring countries, like Norway and Denmark, have case fatality rates of 1.46% and 3.85% respectively. (The U.S. case fatality rate is 3.21%.) While Sweden’s elevated case fatality rate could be a result of its low testing rates compared to its neighbors, experts say Sweden’s laissez-faire approach could also be to blame.

Sweden Coronavirus: 10,483 Cases and 899 Deaths - Worldometer
'They are leading us to catastrophe': Sweden's coronavirus stoicism begins to jar
Panic, though, is exactly what many within Sweden’s scientific and medical community are starting to feel. A petition signed by more than 2,000 doctors, scientists, and professors last week – including the chairman of the Nobel Foundation, Prof Carl-Henrik Heldin – called on the government to introduce more stringent containment measures. “We’re not testing enough, we’re not tracking, we’re not isolating enough – we have let the virus loose,” said Prof Cecilia Söderberg-Nauclér, a virus immunology researcher at the Karolinska Institute. “They are leading us to catastrophe.”

Ethnic minorities bear the brunt of Sweden’s coronavirus deaths | World | The Sunday Times

I'm curious whether this herd immunity method pays off in the long term if no vaccine is developed (it'll cause more deaths in the interim)

Ethnic minorities bear the coronavirus deaths here in the US too. Do they tend to be more vulnerable here (comorbid conditions) , Sweden similar?

I'm curious whether this herd immunity method pays off in the long term if no vaccine is developed (it'll cause more deaths in the interim)

Ethnic minorities bear the coronavirus deaths here in the US too. Do they tend to be more vulnerable here (comorbid conditions) , Sweden similar?
Disease is always worse than vaccine (for individuals as well as the herd). Multiple vaccines under development and will be available soon. This is not a new disease just a minor variation on existing vaccines.
Yes disadvantaged populations always suffer more. Less access to health care, food, housing, education, etc. That's a feature of capitalism.

Disease is always worse than vaccine (for individuals as well as the herd). Multiple vaccines under development and will be available soon. This is not a new disease just a minor variation on existing vaccines.
Yes disadvantaged populations always suffer more. Less access to health care, food, housing, education, etc. That's a feature of capitalism.

Only a sith deals in absolutes :)

define "soon" for vaccine. It could take a year or longer. This disease is not as bad for the herd If it was ebola I'd agree.

Sweden does not have our version of capitalism

Only a sith deals in absolutes :)

define "soon" for vaccine. It could take a year or longer. This disease is not as bad for the herd If it was ebola I'd agree.

Sweden does not have our version of capitalism
What's a sith?
Herd immunity requires 80+% infection. The most hard hit areas are less than 10%. Achieving "natural" herd immunity would require millions more dead.
Vaccine could take a year. Treatments sooner. Until then, hunker down, test, quarantine, contact trace.
Sweden has a "progressive" neoliberal capitalism. Somewhat better social services. There are still poor and they still suffer while the rich do well.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
What's a sith?
Herd immunity requires 80+% infection. The most hard hit areas are less than 10%. Achieving "natural" herd immunity would require millions more dead.
Vaccine could take a year. Treatments sooner. Until then, hunker down, test, quarantine, contact trace.
Sweden has a "progressive" neoliberal capitalism. Somewhat better social services. There are still poor and they still suffer while the rich do well.

“Only a Sith deals in absolutes.”

Unfortunately given the tribal nature of our current political system, we're all either here or there. I'd be curious to see what "eventually" happens in Sweden type response. I know some states here are trying something similar, but for some reason closing schools

“Only a Sith deals in absolutes.”

Unfortunately given the tribal nature of our current political system, we're all either here or there. I'd be curious to see what "eventually" happens in Sweden type response. I know some states here are trying something similar, but for some reason closing schools
Critics question Swedish approach as coronavirus death toll reaches 1,000

The Public Health Agency announced a death toll of 1,203 people from Covid-19 on Wednesday, a rate of 101 per million inhabitants, compared to 51 in Denmark and just 11 in Finland, both of which imposed strict early lockdowns to curb the virus’s spread.

I don't think that's exactly an unbiased source! I think people are rightfully criticizing Elon and Tesla because they promised to deliver "ventilators" and so far they have only delivered cpal or bipap machines. Elon is not a medical professional, and I doubt that most of the people responding to this thread are either. Sure, donating 1,000 bipap machines is a really generous gesture, and is certainly better than what many companies are doing. However, that doesn't change the fact that he publicly promised ventilators and hasn't delivered. I know some people are getting into the semantics of "well, a bipap machine is now an FDA approved device", but that does not mean it fits the commonly understood definition of what a ventilator is, as clearly evidenced by the response of California.

Overall, I love Tesla, and I respect the hell out of Elon and the way he has changed so many industries through sheer force of personality, intelligence, and hard work. The downside to his personality, however, is this sense of showmanship and his arrogance. He is a very smart guy, but he is not a medical expert and his advice here is essentially meaningless. He was wrong about the dangers of COVID-19, and stubbornly dug in for days. Again, his donation was very generous, but it wasn't what was promised or requested by California and those hospitals. Better than nothing, sure. But by promising one thing and delivering another, this seems more like a cynical PR move that's going to backfire and do Tesla more harm than good in the public eye.

That being said, what Elon says on Twitter has nothing to do with my love for the Model 3. I don't base my car purchases on what the company CEO says on twitter, and I think Tesla makes a fantastic product.

The Public Health Agency announced a death toll of 1,203 people from Covid-19 on Wednesday, a rate of 101 per million inhabitants, compared to 51 in Denmark and just 11 in Finland, both of which imposed strict early lockdowns to curb the virus’s spread.

Meanwhile:

Sweden could have 'herd immunity' by next month, claims its infectious diseases chief | Daily Mail Online

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

I wonder if you could do this in some states here:

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I plan to get another Model 3 later this year, and will still probably get one. But I am really starting to get put off by Elon's reaction to COVID-19. Am I the only one that feels this way? Here is an article that kind of sums it up:

Elon Musk Has Played An Extremely Dangerous Game

The part of me that still wants the model 3 is telling my more sensible side that he is supposed to be our "Tony Stark" and Tony Stark is a smart, yet arrogant A-hole sometimes... so it kind of fits? lol

Not trying to stir *sugar*, just want to see if anyone else feels the same way as me? Or am I being too dramatic here?

So how did you like his rants on the earnings call today? LOL, have you ever heard such a desperate man to get his bonus regardless of fate of humanity?? He's definitely a piece of work, and he needs to lay off the mushrooms.

So how did you like his rants on the earnings call today? LOL, have you ever heard such a desperate man to get his bonus regardless of fate of humanity?? He's definitely a piece of work, and he needs to lay off the mushrooms.

He's definitely coming across as stubborn and ignorant. However, I agree with an earlier Reddit thread about this topic. I don't usually base my car buying decisions off of the political or social beliefs of the OEM's leadership, and I suppose Tesla shouldn't be any different. I had postponed my delivery due to COVID, but have rescheduled it for the end of next quarter. Elon is not Tesla, and I can enjoy the performance and features of the car whether or not I agree with him on a personal or moral level.

Tesla is a publicly traded company where Elon owns about 20%. If it gets to the point where his antics are holding the company back, he'll get removed from his position as CEO. For now, his vision, generally positive publix perception, and cheerleading for Tesla and EVs outweigh his occasional ignorant Twitter rants, but if he ever becomes a liability I have no doubt the board with do the necessary thing and remove him.

Reactions: AlanSqB
Love his talent and vision but man...I am getting embarrassed for him. I almost feel like he says things like this in a strategic way to try and drive discord with TSLA and then on the counter release positive news (obvious like earnings or non-obvious stuff like new FSD features) to drive ups and downs.

If he went full bonkers it would be really tough to remove him Papa John's style...it would be a long and protracted process that wouldn't make sense until the company moves from this 'introductory' mode to a more stable model (like maybe in 2022+). IMO.