TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anyone replace the horn?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by artsci, Dec 1, 2013.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Thinking that an extra margin of defensive safety is a good idea, I've always installed air horns on my cars. To that end I've ordered a PsychoBlasters V2 Electric Air Horn from Hornblasters. Here's a sample of the sound: http://c.hornblasters.com/audio/horns/psychoblasters-v2.mp3

Has anyone else installed air horns? Frankly, I don't even know where the stock horn is located. Some tips would be helpful. Thanks!

2. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

I've never had good luck with air horns as the compressors go out after a year or so. I've had good luck with Hella Supertones, but I'll make the call once we get the car in 2-3 days.

3. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Never had a compressor failure before with the Hellas.

4. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Holy crap! We took delivery yesterday and the horn is LOUD! I don't think I'll be upgrading them. ;)

One gripe I do have about the horn is the lack of direct interaction. One tiny blip of the horn button gets you a long "BLAAAP" of the horn. I've had some rental cars that did this, and I didn't like it. If I want to give someone a light honk to, I can't.

5. Jason

Jason Member

I left the stock horns - but here some pic's:
    (1st pic, horn is on far left, 2nd is showing where both mount on the front core support)

IMG_5690.JPG IMG_5735.JPG

6. T B

T B President, Tesla Club Sweden

7. artsci

artsci Sponsor

#7 artsci, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    The video is hilarious. That's a train horn on a very small EV.

The Model S apparently has two horns, a high tone on the right and a low tone on the left.

8. DrTaras

DrTaras R254->R725->S1364-->X769

#8 DrTaras, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    So Artsci... did you replace it? Do tell. I am interested and know that if anyone can do it, its you! :wink:
    PS-Can you pretty much get any 'standard' horn for the Model S or is there something specific? :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

Made me truly LOL!

- - - Updated - - -

I think this is a fab idea!

9. Frankrb

Frankrb Member

Personally, I think the MS horn is plenty load, AND I really would like some sort of pedestrian alert.

I hate blasting the horn in parking lots, but the MS is so quiet, and many people are just oblivious to their surroundings (we also live in a 55+ community and there may be more "hearing issues" around than most places) so I don't have much choice:) If I could find a little 12v bicycle bell type device (or anything a little more "gentle" I'd install in a minute.

10. artsci

artsci Sponsor

#10 artsci, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    I haven't yet. It's a bit of a job and I've had other priorities with the car. I think the Model S horn is an electric horn

The air horns require a compressor or air tank of some kind, making installation a bit more complicated. Plus space in the frunk innards has to be found for the horn trumpets. So I may have this done.

11. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

The video was hilarious, but this is one mod I'll skip.

12. DrTaras

So if I wanted to simply replace the Model S horn with a different 'electric horn' is that something that can easily be bought on the Internet and then swapped? :redface:

13. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

I've always imagined something like an ooga horn or a farting noise for something to warn peds that a stealth car is right next to them. Maybe a bicycle bell?

14. DrTaras

15. Zextraterrestrial

#15 Zextraterrestrial, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    bicycle bell?

gets some pretty funny looks from peds sometimes :tongue:

16. william cooney

william cooney New Member

I have a Nathan M5 horn. it is not very loud, but works great. i have recently purchased a truck and wants to buy horn for it. want something loud. any suggestion?

17. ByICE

ByICE Member

bike horn.jpg

This would be even better! Nosecone drops down, horns pop out and......berp, berp.

18. Chgd Up

Chgd Up Sig 1004

The Hella looks almost identical to the existing horns and could probably be a direct replacement on the existing mounts. There is quite a bit of room up front there to fit in the air trumpets as well but they would require a more elaborate installation.

19. siai47

siai47 Member

Model S's with air suspension have both a compressor and a fairly large air tank. Maybe that could supply air for the short period of time an air horn would be used.

20. invisik

invisik Member

How about mount it on top of the driver's side mirror!! Roll the window down and squeeze with your hand! I think the curvy one would look the best. :)

Seriously, Mercedes S-Class from the 1980's had City (quieter) and Country (louder) horns. There was a switch on the dashboard to toggle between them. Just leave it in Country mode until you need City, was a great setup for the manual button era. I do like the end of the stick Volt method (like older Peugeot's) for the City horn. Just how to rig it tastefully in the Model S interior?!

-m