Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone replace the horn?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking that an extra margin of defensive safety is a good idea, I've always installed air horns on my cars. To that end I've ordered a PsychoBlasters V2 Electric Air Horn from Hornblasters. Here's a sample of the sound: http://c.hornblasters.com/audio/horns/psychoblasters-v2.mp3

Has anyone else installed air horns? Frankly, I don't even know where the stock horn is located. Some tips would be helpful. Thanks!

Holy crap! We took delivery yesterday and the horn is LOUD! I don't think I'll be upgrading them. ;)

One gripe I do have about the horn is the lack of direct interaction. One tiny blip of the horn button gets you a long "BLAAAP" of the horn. I've had some rental cars that did this, and I didn't like it. If I want to give someone a light honk to, I can't.

I left the stock horns - but here some pic's:
(1st pic, horn is on far left, 2nd is showing where both mount on the front core support)

IMG_5690.JPG
IMG_5735.JPG

Thinking that an extra margin of defensive safety is a good idea, I've always installed air horns on my cars. To that end I've ordered a PsychoBlasters V2 Electric Air Horn from Hornblasters. Here's a sample of the sound: http://c.hornblasters.com/audio/horns/psychoblasters-v2.mp3

Has anyone else installed air horns? Frankly, I don't even know where the stock horn is located. Some tips would be helpful. Thanks!

So Artsci... did you replace it? Do tell. I am interested and know that if anyone can do it, its you! :wink:
PS-Can you pretty much get any 'standard' horn for the Model S or is there something specific? :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

Made me truly LOL!

- - - Updated - - -

I know the Chevy Volt isn't universally adored around here, but one kind of clever feature it has is a "pedestrian alert" feature where it sounds the horn as a friendly "beeple" (my term) instead of a blast. See video below:
I think this is a fab idea!

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I think the MS horn is plenty load, AND I really would like some sort of pedestrian alert.

I hate blasting the horn in parking lots, but the MS is so quiet, and many people are just oblivious to their surroundings (we also live in a 55+ community and there may be more "hearing issues" around than most places) so I don't have much choice:) If I could find a little 12v bicycle bell type device (or anything a little more "gentle" I'd install in a minute.

So Artsci... did you replace it? Do tell. I am interested and know that if anyone can do it, its you! :wink:
PS-Can you pretty much get any 'standard' horn for the Model S or is there something specific? :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

Made me truly LOL!

- - - Updated - - -

I think this is a fab idea!

I haven't yet. It's a bit of a job and I've had other priorities with the car. I think the Model S horn is an electric horn

The air horns require a compressor or air tank of some kind, making installation a bit more complicated. Plus space in the frunk innards has to be found for the horn trumpets. So I may have this done.

Last edited:
The Hella looks almost identical to the existing horns and could probably be a direct replacement on the existing mounts. There is quite a bit of room up front there to fit in the air trumpets as well but they would require a more elaborate installation.

View attachment 43412

This would be even better! Nosecone drops down, horns pop out and......berp, berp.

How about mount it on top of the driver's side mirror!! Roll the window down and squeeze with your hand! I think the curvy one would look the best. :)

Seriously, Mercedes S-Class from the 1980's had City (quieter) and Country (louder) horns. There was a switch on the dashboard to toggle between them. Just leave it in Country mode until you need City, was a great setup for the manual button era. I do like the end of the stick Volt method (like older Peugeot's) for the City horn. Just how to rig it tastefully in the Model S interior?!

-m