Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone saved from an accident by autobrake?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That may be in part to reduce liability. Otherwise auto makers that release automatic braking may be setting expectations of no front collisions.

I'd like to see a controlled experiment. Perhaps drive into a Mylar sheet? Would radar detect that?

Here is an explanation of many related topics with demos. This is, thankfully, starting to become a more mature and widely available technology:

ULTIMATE ANTI CRASH - Fifth Gear - YouTube

Your stories are twitter-famous now.

Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 1.54.26 PM.png

I had TACC on at a 2 distance (in light traffic) and was approaching an interchange to another highway...the car in front of me abruptly slammed on his brakes and while TACC couldn't react in time, the auto braking engaged before I could step on the brakes manually. Scared the crap out of me..but it worked!

I had TACC on at a 2 distance (in light traffic) and was approaching an interchange to another highway...the car in front of me abruptly slammed on his brakes and while TACC couldn't react in time, the auto braking engaged before I could step on the brakes manually. Scared the crap out of me..but it worked!

What do you mean when you say "while TACC couldn't react in time?"

If TACC was tracking a target car, then TACC braked and prevented you from rear-ending that car, exactly as it was designed to do.

What would lead you to believe that TACC failed, but that Emergency Braking saved the day?

My understanding: TACC and AEB is that they work independently of each other. I use TACC all the time and it does an excellent job in managing safe distance, especially in v7 where it has been greatly improved. AEB I've only experienced a few times, it's scary because AEB kicks in near last-minute, right at the time where, once you realize it, you'd end up slamming on the brakes anyway. AEB kicks in moments before you do if you weren't paying attention. Though, I think it wont take you to a complete stop, I think it just slows you down so that instead of smashing into the car in front of you, you'll end up hitting it at under 9 MPH. Hopefully by that time you'll have smashed the brakes on yourself.

FYI ... I now use AutoPilot for 99% of my freeway driving and it's freaking awesome. The chance of an accident caused by me is further reduced because of it. Keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times.