Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone still rocking a Pi Zero W smart drive for TeslaCam on Sentry Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@THX723 I am using TeslaFi in combination with TeslaUSB. I don’t have time at the moment but can test your solution next week.
FYI, the TeslaFi integration has officially made it into the latest macrone/teslausb build. So no need for the ad hoc testing anymore. Just re-setup your device from scratch and it'll pull the latest greatest from the server. Be sure to use the latest config file and update with your settings accordingly.

Hi All,
Been using TeslaUSB for a few days now on my 4B and its been working well and all of a sudden the Car does not see the device, i have tried plugging the usb into a laptop and nothing but if i plug a USB stick in to the 4b it works and i can see it.

Tried to reinstall teslausb but made no difference, also with the 4b plugged in and if i soft reboot the car i get a error saying touchscreen not responding and to reboot, disconnect the USB and soft reboot again eveything is working.

The USB ports in car works too i can plug a standard USB in and it work.

not sure whats happing

Can you clarify what you mean by 'plugging the usb into a laptop'?
Do you mean an USB stick? an USB port on the Pi? if on the Pi, which USB port... USB-C or USB-A???
sorry, as part of my trouble shooting i plugged the PI in to my laptop expecting to see the Cam folder however nothing is detected by the laptop, USB-a to USB-a, as said i can plug a USB stick into the PI and it works and gets mounted within the PI however when the PI is plugged in to the car nothing happens and further more if i soft reboot the car it then displays a message saying touch screen not responding and to soft reboot. disconnect the PI from the car and reboot everything back to normal.

sorry, as part of my trouble shooting i plugged the PI in to my laptop expecting to see the Cam folder however nothing is detected by the laptop, USB-a to USB-a, as said i can plug a USB stick into the PI and it works and gets mounted within the PI however when the PI is plugged in to the car nothing happens and further more if i soft reboot the car it then displays a message saying touch screen not responding and to soft reboot. disconnect the PI from the car and reboot everything back to normal.
Is your Pi setup to boot AND work from the SD Card? or external USB Drive?

i thought the USB-C was power only, there is only one USB-C and two USB-3 and two USB-2
The USB-C port is power & data. And as mentioned earlier, the only port capable of host mode (act as an USB storage device).

If you weren’t using that port with an USB-C to USB-A cable connected to the car, I don’t see how you ever had TeslaUSB working. That probably also explains why you’re getting weird behaviors from the car when plugged in.

Last edited:
The USB-C port is power & data. And as mentioned earlier, the only port capable of host mode (act as an USB storage device).

If you weren’t using that port with an USB-C to USB-A cable connected to the car, I don’t see how you ever had TeslaUSB working. That probably also explains why you’re getting weird behaviors from the car when plugged in.
Typo: When I say host mode, I mean device (aka gadget) mode.

A bit of a late reply but I’ve only just got hold of a pi zero 2w and installed TeslaUSB tonight. I used the most recent marcone image which is teslausb-20211106 but I believe it downloads more recent updates when you install it on the SD card.

I’ve got it to the point where the car recognises it and is recording to it. I can also remotely ssh to it from inside the house so I know it’s got a good connection to my network and the internet. It was nearly midnight by the time I got it plugged in so haven’t yet tested to see if it will transfer the files. I’ve configured it to transfer to Microsoft OneDrive with rclone so will see if that works tomorrow.

Can you elaborate on how you got OneDrive working with TeslaUSB?

I've been trying to set up Teslausb on my Model 3 but cannot get it to work. I've watched the video over and over and followed the instructions to the letter. I tried multiple SD cards in case they're faulty. Does anyone have an idiots guide as to the settings to use as this can only be the issue. I have a new local user (Tesla), two new shared folders (TeslaCam and TeslaMusic) and password is P@SSWORD. If my IP address is 192.168.x.y then are these correct

archiveserver=192.168.x.y
sharename=TeslaCam
sharepassword=P@SSWORD

The Pi looks like it's speaking to the PC but nothing happening,

If I plug Pi into PC I can see two file TeslaCam and TeslaTrackMode on the SD card - both blank

Plugging into the car does nothing and nothing is transferred to my PC.

Does anyone know where I'm going wrong or prepared to run me through this?

Thanks