Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Tesla Y USB Drive Formats. not Recognized

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what you are getting at. I am just saying take out the Tesla USB drive and look at the actual glovebox USB port bar. If you look at it at least in HW3 cars it currently has a black bar which shows it should be a USB 2.0 port. Not sure if it changed in HW4 to be a blue port but maybe you can verify it for HW4 cards.

Just because you put a glovebox USB hub with USB 3.0 ports doesn't mean it will operate at USB 3.0 speeds since the source USB port is just a USB 2.0 port and will be bottlenecked by USB 2.0 speeds.

Personally since Tesla seems to be moving towards a glovebox data USB port only, it should include a USB-C port instead of just a USB 2.0 or even USB 3.0 port. That way if you put in a USB-C hub in that glovebox USB port it has the bandwidth to support multiple devices.

View attachment 1015688
It probably is 2.0 then. They are not using USB c because they probably don't want you to use multiple devices in there. Keep it for the dash cam and maybe music that is it. What else needs data? Nothing else. Charging my phone is with qi or one of the 4 USB c ports.

This is what I am using right now. The one on the right. The one on the left won't read anything not sure why. It is 2.0 I think. Not sure what name brand. They were just generic I think. Anyhow it seems to record video and play back just fine from the car. So its good enough for now I think. No need for 3.0.

Edit: I threw the one on the left away. It was not working.

Last edited:
I doubt that speed will be an issue with music or even with video.
Also flash drives are really cheap these days.
Read speeds are fine for music and video. But if it's One Drive To Rule Them All, it has to work for dashcam and sentry. And those are writing multiple video streams. That requires a USB drive that can Keep Up On Writes. There are those that can, of course, but this is the precise area where USB drive manufacturers play silly buggers with the truth.

It's the actual flashing of the Flash RAM that takes time, not the reading of same.

But if it's One Drive To Rule Them All, it has to work for dashcam and sentry. And those are writing multiple video streams
This seems highly unlikely and does not match anything I've seen. Are there any situations when the dashcam and sentry mode are enabled simultaneously and streaming separately?

Even if there were situations when they are both enabled, all the streaming goes to the RecentClips folder. The files are labeled with a data/time stamp and the camera position. There is no distinction between dashcam and sentry. When a sentry mode event occurs, the appropriate video files get copied to a subfolder of SentryClips. When you save dashcam footage, the appropriate video files get copied to a subfolder of SavedClips.

The car stores about 15 Gbytes per hour (hardware 3) which is less than 5 Mbytes/sec and well within the usb-2 bandwidth which has a theoretical maximum ten times higher. Likewise, the Samsung Pro Endurance micro-sd card has a write bandwidth of 40 Mbytes/sec.

Finally, since the system has plenty of bandwidth to stream multiple video channels simultaneously, adding a single stereo audio steam should not have a noticable impact on the performance.

Sure, you can always buy crap that will fall flat on its face but if you get decent products from a reputable manufacturer then usb-2 write speeds are simply not an issue in a Tesla. OTOH, perhaps depending on where you live, heat is an issue so a high speed usb-3 device will be less reliable than a quality micro-sd card with limited bandwidth.

I tried the USB hub from 5 below finally found it. It fits perfectly. But nothing shows up. They are cheaply made. Did not even work in my computer. Only 1 port even worked for charging.
My USB hub worked great when I had a MY with HW3, I used the OEM stick, and plugged my music stick into another port.

Just got a new MY with HW4, and only the Tesla stick was recognized.

SSSoooooooooooooooooo. Took another stick and created two partitions. The first was done in the manner of the OEM stick with the appropriate subdirectories. I created a second partition labeled Music. I then copied the files off of the OEM stick and my music stick onto the new stick.

This works fine, until my external USB SSD arrives.

I have 2 partitions also works great. But went to bestbuy today. Got this.

Works great. It shows 2 drives now and even shows music from the tesla drive I use for the dashcam. Not sure why it shows. But it only show the usb icon if I add a second drive. not sure why. But if I add a second drive it shows files from both drives. Without it only shows dashcam and no other files.