Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone switch from a M3 to a MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did.

In addition to the storage space, I like the idea of being higher off the ground. I hated the poor visibility out the back of the 3 and this prevented my wife from ever wanting to drive it. The Y is worlds better in this respect. AP being included was a big bonus as well.

I always thought Tesla should have done the Y first, and if they had, there probably would have never been a 3. The Model 3 felt a little like a prototype and I'm hoping the Y is a little more refined. So far, I'm finding that to be the case.

There are other reasons too as my 3 was involved in a hit and run and the car never felt right after getting fixed (by Tesla's own body shop).

• Informative
Reactions: Zer0t
I always thought Tesla should have done the Y first, and if they had, there probably would have never been a 3.
The Model 3 felt a little like a prototype and I'm hoping the Y is a little more refined. So far, I'm finding that to be the case.
I was very disappointed that the Model 3 didn't have a hatchback.
I was in the market for a new car when I got the Model 3 otherwise I would had waited a little bit more for that reason.
But at the time nobody had any idea how the 'Y' would look like, even there was some speculation that there will be FWD like the 'X'.

There are other reasons too as my 3 was involved in a hit and run and the car never felt right after getting fixed (by Tesla's own body shop).
Did Tesla bought back the car?
Does your car lose value because of the 'accident' title?
Did you got a Diminished Value from your insurance?

Note: I noticed that the stop light are very small, do you think that could have been a reason for the accident?

I still have the 3 and my wife now has a Y.

The main draws for us on the Y are the hatchback making the storage space so much more usable, more rear seat space, the larger glass roof, and the higher ride height.

On the 3, we mainly like the better efficiency (and range) and lower price.

Here's a bit more, if you're interested:

• Informative
Reactions: Zer0t
I did.

In addition to the storage space, I like the idea of being higher off the ground. I hated the poor visibility out the back of the 3 and this prevented my wife from ever wanting to drive it. The Y is worlds better in this respect. AP being included was a big bonus as well.

I always thought Tesla should have done the Y first, and if they had, there probably would have never been a 3. The Model 3 felt a little like a prototype and I'm hoping the Y is a little more refined. So far, I'm finding that to be the case.

I'm seriously thinking of the trading in my Model 3 for the Y because it seems to fix all of the small issues I have with the 3 like:
  • Ground clearance
  • Hatchback
  • Cargo Space
  • Decreased cabin noise (from most reports)
However, I am trying to be reasonable as I've only had my Model 3 for a year and would end up paying an additional ~$20k to get the Model Y. Also, because I have a 6/18 M3 I have a few features which I really like that are either no longer included or available that I would lose upgrading to the Y. None of these are deal breakers but it's part of my decision-making process as it increases overall cost if I want these features:
  • No plastic/solid dead pedal (Not sure what aftermarket options are available)
  • No frunk mat (~$50)
  • No Auto-dimming side mirrors (Not sure this is available aftermarket)
  • No pre-installed Homelink ($300)
  • No door pocket lights (Maybe can DIY for $30 if wiring exists)
  • No premium connectivity for life ($120/yr)
  • Lose various aftermarket mods installed in M3 (Soundproofing, console vinyl, trunk roof mat, etc.)
How did you rationalize upgrading to the Y and what do you think it ultimately cost you?
Also, how are you finding the efficiency on the Y? - I have the LR RWD so have generally great range but saw a real world range test of the Model Y where it only got about 250-260 miles out of 315 rated.

• Informative
Reactions: Lobstahz

Did Tesla bought back the car?
- No, it was repairable. Damaged the rear bumper, trunk and driver side quarter panel. No frame damage, but the bill was over 12k.

Does your car lose value because of the 'accident' title?
- Absolutely. I sold it privately, but a lot of people shied away just because of the accident. The person who bought it knew of the accident, but I was happy to get more that Tesla offered for a trade, so I took his low offer. I probably could have held out for more, but it was a quick and painless sale.

Did you got a Diminished Value from your insurance?
- I don't know.

Note: I noticed that the stop light are very small, do you think that could have been a reason for the accident?
- It was a Friday night when I got hit and when I pulled over, the guy sped off. My flash drive was full (this was back when it gave you no notice the drive was full), so I didn't capture anything from the cameras. I'm assuming alcohol was involved.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I still have the 3 and my wife now has a Y.

The main draws for us on the Y are the hatchback making the storage space so much more usable, more rear seat space, the larger glass roof, and the higher ride height.

On the 3, we mainly like the better efficiency (and range) and lower price.

Here's a bit more, if you're interested:

Is that you in the video? Well done!

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
I'm seriously thinking of the trading in my Model 3 for the Y because it seems to fix all of the small issues I have with the 3 like:
  • Ground clearance
  • Hatchback
  • Cargo Space
  • Decreased cabin noise (from most reports)
However, I am trying to be reasonable as I've only had my Model 3 for a year and would end up paying an additional ~$20k to get the Model Y. Also, because I have a 6/18 M3 I have a few features which I really like that are either no longer included or available that I would lose upgrading to the Y. None of these are deal breakers but it's part of my decision-making process as it increases overall cost if I want these features:
  • No plastic/solid dead pedal (Not sure what aftermarket options are available)
  • No frunk mat (~$50)
  • No Auto-dimming side mirrors (Not sure this is available aftermarket)
  • No pre-installed Homelink ($300)
  • No door pocket lights (Maybe can DIY for $30 if wiring exists)
  • No premium connectivity for life ($120/yr)
  • Lose various aftermarket mods installed in M3 (Soundproofing, console vinyl, trunk roof mat, etc.)
How did you rationalize upgrading to the Y and what do you think it ultimately cost you?
Also, how are you finding the efficiency on the Y? - I have the LR RWD so have generally great range but saw a real world range test of the Model Y where it only got about 250-260 miles out of 315 rated.
In my experience, the cabin noise is considerably less than the Model 3. I had a 7/18 car, so I don't know if they changed things after that.

There is a nice place to put your left foot. I don't know if you've seen the car or not, but that's not an issue at all (for me).

Frunk mat - I really don't care. I can count on one hand the amount of times I put anything in the frunk on the Model 3. I could easily cut a piece of carpet to fit.

Mirrors -Yeah, that concerns me. I haven't driven much at night, but haven't had a problem so far. I'm getting the windows tinted Wednesday, so that will probably alleviate any potential issues. If not, I'll get the mirrors tinted with 70% or something.

Homelink - I shelled out the $300. It sucks, but I can't really expect people who don't have Homelink to subsidize my unit.

Pocket lights - Didn't know. The pockets on the car are super deep too.

Connectivity - yes, this sucks

I can't really rationalize the cost. After rebates on the Model 3 are taken into consideration, it cost me about 20k. It's money flushed down the toilet. I'm lucky enough to be able to flush some money every now and then without hurting me too bad.

As far as the efficiency goes, my Model 3 was horrible. The Model Y is equally horrible, but most of my driving is on the freeway @80MPH. I might get 200 miles on a 90% charge. I don't travel with the car too much. I can charge for free at work and have solar at home, so it doesn't cost me anything.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNation and Zer0t
In my experience, the cabin noise is considerably less than the Model 3. I had a 7/18 car, so I don't know if they changed things after that.

There is a nice place to put your left foot. I don't know if you've seen the car or not, but that's not an issue at all (for me).

Frunk mat - I really don't care. I can count on one hand the amount of times I put anything in the frunk on the Model 3. I could easily cut a piece of carpet to fit.

Mirrors -Yeah, that concerns me. I haven't driven much at night, but haven't had a problem so far. I'm getting the windows tinted Wednesday, so that will probably alleviate any potential issues. If not, I'll get the mirrors tinted with 70% or something.

Homelink - I shelled out the $300. It sucks, but I can't really expect people who don't have Homelink to subsidize my unit.

Pocket lights - Didn't know. The pockets on the car are super deep too.

Connectivity - yes, this sucks

I can't really rationalize the cost. After rebates on the Model 3 are taken into consideration, it cost me about 20k. It's money flushed down the toilet. I'm lucky enough to be able to flush some money every now and then without hurting me too bad.

As far as the efficiency goes, my Model 3 was horrible. The Model Y is equally horrible, but most of my driving is on the freeway @80MPH. I might get 200 miles on a 90% charge. I don't travel with the car too much. I can charge for free at work and have solar at home, so it doesn't cost me anything.
Thanks for the candid response. I feel very similar to you but I do happen to take more trips in the car and we are 1 car household. The irony is of course that the Model Y is more functional for trips but also is less efficient and has less range.

If I'm being honest, even my LR RWD has a lifetime 287 wh/mi which seems to be way higher than most but I believe that is because I live downtown and do lots of city driving but on a road trip it is closer to 250 wh/mi.

Maybe I'll wait a year for the Model Y to come down by ~$3k and my M3 will depreciate by ~$5k+ and such is life haha. This is more of an emotional than rational decision most of the time- which you understand

I went from a MX 100D to P3D+ to MY LR.

The P3D+ is a great car. However, my primary use is long road trips. I live in the major Seattle area and took my 3 to Banff, Denver, Vegas, LA, SF. While the 3 itself is a great car the P3D+ is not as efficient as the LR version. At the time I purchased it, Tesla was advertising the same range of the two. I was lucky if I got 230 miles of range. Nowhere near the 310. I also didn't realize how much how low the car is would bother me. I go camping a lot and the bottom of the car would scrape sometimes. One other expected use was car-camping. Once they added camp mode I slept in my 3 on road trips about 5 times. While it works in the 3 it's more comfortable in the Y. The hatchback is a huge win over the trunk in the 3. The only reason I can see to get the 3 is you want the smallest Tesla possible.

tl;dr
LR Y more efficient than P3D+
More ground clearance
Quieter
More room for car camping
Hatchback!

I also didn't realize how much how low the car is would bother me. I go camping a lot and the bottom of the car would scrape sometimes. One other expected use was car-camping. Once they added camp mode I slept in my 3 on road trips about 5 times. While it works in the 3 it's more comfortable in the Y. The hatchback is a huge win over the trunk in the 3.
This is my use case as well. I recently was making my way up to Mt. Colchuck and bottomed out once or twice on some deep potholes on the way up. Had to abort and do the lake trail about a third of the way up because I was afraid it would get worse so ground clearance is much needed. I have been looking into lift kits to improve that for the M3 but the MY would solve most of these issues (just for a lot more $).

Was planning a trip to Banff and Whistler for this year that I sadly do not think will happen since the world doesn't want us visiting any more :(

This is my use case as well. I recently was making my way up to Mt. Colchuck and bottomed out once or twice on some deep potholes on the way up. Had to abort and do the lake trail about a third of the way up because I was afraid it would get worse so ground clearance is much needed. I have been looking into lift kits to improve that for the M3 but the MY would solve most of these issues (just for a lot more $).

Was planning a trip to Banff and Whistler for this year that I sadly do not think will happen since the world doesn't want us visiting any more :(

Even at Lake Chelan State Park my P3D+ bottomed out when leaving the main loop... so glad I got the Y instead.

I went from a Subaru Outback (mid-size wagon/SUV) to a Model 3 (sedan) to a Model Y (CUV).

1. The family has been enamored with the new Model Y in Tesla's backyard (along with every Model X).
2. The family felt small in the Model 3 for shelter-in-place drive-in events, so I started shopping for a used Model X. The pre-owned 2016 Model X costed slightly more than a new Model Y today. I saw a comparison video on Youtube which pointed out there's not much difference. Assuming you are firm about a 5-seater, and are not after a smoother ride from the Model X's air suspension.
3. The Model Y has a factory 2" hitch. I did not want to install a hitch onto the high-mileage Outback or the Model 3 which was not advised by Tesla. I didn't want to invest anymore into the Outback's roof rack systems with whole bike carriers. The kids' disc brakes require adjustment when front wheels are fitted.
4. The trade-in value for the Model 3 was too good for me to pass up (via Tesla). This is the 2nd car sold to Tesla, which beat two national used car dealers by fair margin. Tesla didn't bother inspecting the car. Immaculate interior and exterior sold with 2/32nd tread on the tires, and a chip in the windshield. The national dealers would have deducted for these.
5. New tires, AWD, increased acceleration, slightly smoother ride over crumbling roads, tinted windows, factory 2" hitch, 40/20/40 seats, higher seating position, and the volumes of cargo space.
6. I did concede and opted out of FSD as the most useful options are included in standard autopilot. Auto lane change is nice though, but not worth $7/8k. It took 2 years from the advent of auto lane change for Tesla to deliver stoplights, which now causes the kids to get motion sickness.
7. Kicker: Tesla delivered too fast for me to change my mind after ordering! 15 hours, 2 minutes.

Photos: Model Y new hidden compartment fits everything that was in the Model 3 lower compartment. Click thumbnail for Model 3 trunk mat footprint in Model Y.

IMG_4513.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4491.jpg
    IMG_4491.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
I did as well. Main reason was that my M3 was rear-ended and they didn’t total it but repaired it. The repair bill was almost $30,000 and once repaired, it would occasionally cause a fault on my charger. I put the deposit down on it a week after my car was hit as a backup. It took 4-1/2 months to get my car repaired and back to me. The other reason I traded it in was that I’m a bike rider and like that I can put my bike in the back. I had a Eco Hitch installed on my M3 but it was a pain to put on and see the red flashing lights on the screen when carrying my bike. I like the M3 better as far as handling. And efficiency. When I traded in my M3, my lifetime range average 222 Wh/mi so I was getting almost 120% of expected range. BTW I had a LeMR so my range was only 260 miles and actually was down to 245 miles. I only have 260 miles on my MY but my efficiency is 248 Wh/mi. So it’s a ways off from my M3 although it hasn’t been broken in yet, i.e. tires are still “grippy”. Also I decided that Dual Motor would be nice for winters here in the PNW. I already put custom wheels on it so I’ll put snow tires on the stock 19” wheels. I think I will be glad in the long run that I switched to the MY but in the short run, I miss my M3!

I didn't switch but we added a MY to the M3 my wife got last year. I had a cross-over SUV (Acura RDX) and we use the extra space for trips and to carry our dog in the back. Much easier to get the dog in/out of a hatch without having to fold the back seats down.

I did.

This.