Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tell me what functions now work on a "S" with autopilot-1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just sold my 2014 S to upgrade to autopilot as I need autopilot for some functions. The one I really need is self parking and "summons" as I am handicapped. I realize it is not approved but....
1. If I get a 2014 S with autopilot, will I ever get the function of it parking itself with me not in the car? Will it ever have the function to come get me at the front of the store while shopping.
IF not, what year, function like autopilot 2 will I need to make it drop me off , park itself, and come an get me.

Thanks

"Come get me at the front of the store while shopping" would be an "advanced summon", which was touted as a feature of Enhanced Autopilot, i.e. AP 2.0. I don't think you'll ever see an AP1 car do that. I don't think you'll ever see an AP2 car do that either, but that's just me.

An AP1 car will "park itself" with Summon right now, though only in the sense of pulling straight into or out of a parking space or garage.

Reactions: JPUConn
"Come get me at the front of the store while shopping" would be an "advanced summon", which was touted as a feature of Enhanced Autopilot, i.e. AP 2.0. I don't think you'll ever see an AP1 car do that. I don't think you'll ever see an AP2 car do that either, but that's just me.

An AP1 car will "park itself" with Summon right now, though only in the sense of pulling straight into or out of a parking space or garage.
You are not alone in thinking those will never be features of AP2. As an AP1 owner, I feel that as soon as AP3 hardware is released, AP2 will be just as much of an orphan as AP1 is now. Those features will never be released on AP2.

<grabs a bucket to put all the "Disagrees" from wishful AP2 owners into>

Thanks, you have been a big help.

Got the manual forward, back thing in a straight line...

But can you explain the "SUMMON" in the AP-1 or is there even one???

Opinion? Will AP-2 be able to do what the commercial does, "pull out of a parking slot, drive to your cell phone"?

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
I think I am getting confused about AP-1 and AP-2.

Am I correct. AP-1 is on 2014, used. AP-2 is on 2015? 2016? etc. AND MAY HAVE parking, driving itself...

I have an option: NEW, but big bucks for a "promise"
,GOOD USED 2014 with AP-1, from Tesla, new warranty, Tech package..... etc.

SO, AP-2 is a "promise" of parking and a REAL SUMMOMS.

What exactly is AP-1? Staying in your lane AND making car go straight forward, and straight back? That's it?

Last edited:
AP1 and AP2 are functionally the same. AP1 was Mobileye technology, used by mercedes and others now. AP2 is Tesla in-house. It's about at parity with AP1, but has many more cameras (3 in front instead of 1, several more on the sides instead of none). Tesla intends to take AP2 to full self drive, but has been catching up to Mobileye so right now they are even. The hardware limits of AP1 are lower, so there is unrealized potential in AP2, but right now it's difficult to tell them apart functionally.

If you bought FSD on an Ap1 car, you'll probably get AP2/3/whatever retrofitted to your car, AP1 almost certainly won't be able to do it on Tesla software and Tesla has no reason to develop for Mobileye.

• No Tesla car today will summon anywhere but a few feet forward or backwards and only in a straight line.
  • Current summon can hit curbs, imperfectly shaped walls or even a person laying down in front of the car. It's a "use it at your own risk" beta feature (personally I keep it disabled).
  • Elon said it will happen soon, but he's been saying it since latter part of 2014 (yes, he did promise that for AP1 at launch, including a picture on Tesla site showing 90 degree summon for AP1 out of your garage and meet you at the curb), so draw your own conclusions.
  • Most people who actually own AP1 or AP2 don't believe it will ever happen on their cars. Tesla very carefully made sure that they included fine print to state that it may never ever happen.
  • Elon has stopped talking about such features recently at all, note the Semi + Roadster launch there was nothing about self driving or auto-pilot, only "driving assist features".

I think I am getting confused about AP-1 and AP-2.

Am I correct. AP-1 is on 2014, used. AP-2 is on 2015? 2016? etc. AND MAY HAVE parking, driving itself...

i took delivery of my P100D (one of the first!) in September of 2016, and it has AP-1. I think it was very near the end of AP-1. There are probably not many P100D's with AP-1. AP-2 probably started somewhere around October of 2016.

Reactions: BerTX
interesting in that the Tesla has under their USED INVENTORY has lots of used 2014 saying they have AP-1 Autopilot?? Some one said, the pre-december 2014 do not have but some of the after December 2014 do

Anyone know for sure???

Thanks all, especially "whitex" as that is very informative.
Too bad for the walking impaired. Being able to have your car drop you off at a stores door, park itself, then come and get you after shopping, so you can dump your shopping item in the car would be wonderful. That way I could leave the electric cart at the store and drive off. A true SUMMON would be perfect. I can care less about it driving itself as I LOVE TO DRIVE MY TESLA MYSELF. Maybe when 90 I might like it to.

AP1 and AP2 are functionally the same. AP1 was Mobileye technology, used by mercedes and others now. AP2 is Tesla in-house. It's about at parity with AP1, but has many more cameras (3 in front instead of 1, several more on the sides instead of none). Tesla intends to take AP2 to full self drive, but has been catching up to Mobileye so right now they are even. The hardware limits of AP1 are lower, so there is unrealized potential in AP2, but right now it's difficult to tell them apart functionally.

If you bought FSD on an Ap1 car, you'll probably get AP2/3/whatever retrofitted to your car, AP1 almost certainly won't be able to do it on Tesla software and Tesla has no reason to develop for Mobileye.
How would I know if I had FSD on my 14 plate P85 with AP1 please?