Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone trade in their Model 3 lease to another dealer? [not currently possible in US as of 10.28.2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well...after much negotiation and back and forth, I decided to take the plug and get into the BMW. We ended up with only a couple grand in negative equity which is a hell of a lot cheaper than the several thousands I’d owe in mileage overages if I kept the Tesla lease to term so that’s exciting.

Looking forward to being back in a real luxury car again. Going to miss a few things about the Tesla (namely Autopilot, the instant torque, 0-60 time, remote control, and other little gimmicks like Netflix/Hulu) but overall I am thrilled to have a car company that actually has the capacity to service their customers.
Congrats OP. Glad it worked out. Enjoy the new ride.

Reactions: idealdreams
My situation is a bit different. I leased a M3P in Sept 2019 more or less 'blind.' Never even drove a Tesla. Now, I want to keep the car -- economics aren't an issue -- but how? Tesla has begun loosening up in some markets to allow Y & 3 owners to buy out their car at lease end. So, we'll have to see on that. However, I have a car dealer/friend who would be willing to do a sort of 'loop transaction' -- buying my car and reselling to me for the costs involved. Anyone see a landmine in this that I'm missing? Thanks

My situation is a bit different. I leased a M3P in Sept 2019 more or less 'blind.' Never even drove a Tesla. Now, I want to keep the car -- economics aren't an issue -- but how? Tesla has begun loosening up in some markets to allow Y & 3 owners to buy out their car at lease end. So, we'll have to see on that. However, I have a car dealer/friend who would be willing to do a sort of 'loop transaction' -- buying my car and reselling to me for the costs involved. Anyone see a landmine in this that I'm missing? Thanks
if you are in a 3 year lease, you should simply let it play out and engage your friend in the last month to see what their buyout price would be from tesla, and decide from there. For all we know, Tesla may relax those rules before your lease ends. There is no reason to do anything before the end.

My wifes car is a 2019 BMW X3, which we leased in January of 2019 (January 4th, 2019 actually). Right now, in April of 2021, it has 5100 miles on it. She normally drives about 5-6k a year, but.. last year neither she nor I did much driving. I normally put almost 20k miles a year on my vehicles driving to work and back, and last year I put like 6k on my model 3.

Just found this thread. As far as online buyers... I confirmed today that Carmax will buyout Tesla leases. Anyone know what others do or don't? Also, how can I find out their buyout/residual price. The tesla chat assistant wouldn't disclose that to me. I'm a little over a year into a 3 yr MY LR lease 2020, and upgrading to a new Y this december. Figured I could at least get my initial downpayment and a years worth of lease payments back (maybe net 10k?) I see carvana offering $58k for this model, I just don't know what the buyout is... $48k or less? What do you all think? Thanks

I'm about 13 months into my 3 yr lease on my 2020 MY LR. I take deliver of a new MY LR this december, (or so they say!). I know Carmax is one of the dealerships that can buy me out of my lease, I believe Carvana can't. Anyone know which of the online ones, or others, can or can't do this? My big question is, what is their buyout figure? The offers I'm getting if I owned the car are around $58k. I'd love to walk away with a 10K check, which gives me my downpayment and a years worth of payments back, but I don't know what margin's they have. The online tesla assistant would not "speculate" what that would be. Made no sense, obviously someone has to know before offering right? What is your experience with this?? Thanks!!!

Chris

I'm about 13 months into my 3 yr lease on my 2020 MY LR. I take deliver of a new MY LR this december, (or so they say!). I know Carmax is one of the dealerships that can buy me out of my lease, I believe Carvana can't. Anyone know which of the online ones, or others, can or can't do this? My big question is, what is their buyout figure? The offers I'm getting if I owned the car are around $58k. I'd love to walk away with a 10K check, which gives me my downpayment and a years worth of payments back, but I don't know what margin's they have. The online tesla assistant would not "speculate" what that would be. Made no sense, obviously someone has to know before offering right? What is your experience with this?? Thanks!!!

Chris
Sorry about the repeat post... I thought the first one was lost. lol

Just found this thread. As far as online buyers... I confirmed today that Carmax will buyout Tesla leases. Anyone know what others do or don't? Also, how can I find out their buyout/residual price. The tesla chat assistant wouldn't disclose that to me. I'm a little over a year into a 3 yr MY LR lease 2020, and upgrading to a new Y this december. Figured I could at least get my initial downpayment and a years worth of lease payments back (maybe net 10k?) I see carvana offering $58k for this model, I just don't know what the buyout is... $48k or less? What do you all think? Thanks
What is your monthly payment?

I thought someone posted that Tesla stopped doing the lease buyout for model y and 3 to 3rd party dealerships starting this week. Or am I wrong?

This is brand new I am seeing on Tesla's website:

Purchase Your Tesla​

You may be eligible to purchase your leased Tesla. Review your lease agreement to see if you qualify.

Eligibility

• Model 3 and Model Y are not eligible at this time.
  • Third-party dealerships and third-party individuals are not eligible to purchase leased vehicles.

I thought someone posted that Tesla stopped doing the lease buyout for model y and 3 to 3rd party dealerships starting this week. Or am I wrong?

Purchase Your Tesla​

You may be eligible to purchase your leased Tesla. Review your lease agreement to see if you qualify.

Eligibility

• Third-party dealerships and third-party individuals are not eligible to purchase leased vehicles.
Given the current market, that’s become VERY common from many manufacturers. Resale is significantly higher than the residuals so they’re capturing that value for themselves.

Purchase Your Tesla​

Eligibility

(moderator note)

Locking this thread as there is an active discussion thread on this topic currently, which can be found here:

Its currently not possible per that thread as of October 28th.

Status
Not open for further replies.