Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tried active noise cancellation in 2021.40?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a PIREP for those getting ANR as an observation. I was driving home from work last night and heard a very audible low frequency rumble that made me think that my front left mud flap had come loose and was rubbing on the tire. It was that loud. For fun, I turned off the ANR and it disappeared. For sure the ANR has bugs. I am sure what I was hearing was the audio that the car generates to negate the actual road noise however it was not perfectly synchronized with the road noise so it was not cancelling, it was adding to it. On the next drive the problem was gone. I put this out there for the ANR pioneers so that if all of a sudden you are hearing a loud rumble that will clearly get your attention, toggle the ANR OFF as that is probably the problem. For sure it is doing something.... and probably not fully shaken out....

I got the holiday update last night and it has the Sentry remote view, blind spot camera view, light show (awesome) and other reported features. One of the best yet. The light show especially right now is worth the price of the car (kidding….somewhat 🙌). 8000 kM on the car since delivery in September and I love it every day.

Last edited:
Reactions: DBV1
It is interesting reading reports on how long people have had their cars (MS refresh) and what SW version they are on. Knock on wood, since delivery in September, I seem to get them within 1-2 days of them being released. It does not seem to have rhyme or reason.

It is interesting reading reports on how long people have had their cars (MS refresh) and what SW version they are on. Knock on wood, since delivery in September, I seem to get them within 1-2 days of them being released. It does not seem to have rhyme or reason.
I am not sure either. At least you are getting them quickly. If you have tried the blind spot, how do you like it?

I have a PIREP for those getting ANR as an observation. I was driving home from work last night and heard a very audible low frequency rumble that made me think that my front left mud flap had come loose and was rubbing on the tire. It was that loud. For fun, I turned off the ANR and it disappeared. For sure the ANR has bugs. I am sure what I was hearing was the audio that the car generates to negate the actual road noise however it was not perfectly synchronized with the road noise so it was not cancelling, it was adding to it. On the next drive the problem was gone. I put this out there for the ANR pioneers so that if all of a sudden you are hearing a loud rumble that will clearly get your attention, toggle the ANR OFF as that is probably the problem. For sure it is doing something.... and probably not fully shaken out....
I have done some more testing by now and continue to find a similar issue here but with mine it's a monotone sound somewhere in the 150 hz range. It's quite consistent. I found that the ANR works actually on the low rumbles of an uneven road, quite well actually, but at some point the system is drifting out of sync with the actual road noises and that humming sound comes through quite loud. Enough for my everyone to hear.
Waiting for improvement via a software update. Until then...

Solid observation. For sure it is a road noise remover and not a random ambient (trucks, horns etc) or airflow noise remover. I have snows on and it does a decent job of suppressing the tire tread noise. So well that I forget I have snows on and when I first mounted them..... I was disappointed at how much tread noise there was over the stock AS. For sure, with wear in the noise settled down as well but the ANR, when in sync basically removes it from my conscious observations. I expect over time this is going to get more and more refined and maybe even a wider scope of ANR in the cabin.

@omarsultan coming in with some good details.

So, just finally got updated off of factory software to 2022.8.2, from 2021.43.201, and still no ARNR option! Am I missing something? I know it’s hit and miss anyway, but I’d still like the option to try it…
By now, you should definitely have it. Unless it got removed. I got updated, but I rarely check ARNR. You might need to drive a few times before it shows up.

Tesla still hasn't fixed this. My 2022, just built last week - has the same problem. ARNR is really broken. I thought it was just my 2021 S that was flawed in this regard. How come so few people are really talking about this?

Reactions: jebinc
Tesla still hasn't fixed this. My 2022, just built last week - has the same problem. ARNR is really broken. I thought it was just my 2021 S that was flawed in this regard. How come so few people are really talking about this?
Mine works. I realized there was some sort of ringing in the hi frequencies so i switched it off. immediately i started hearing low end road noise. Switched it back on, high frequency noise came back on. Overall i preferred ANC to be on, since the cabin felt quieter for sure without all of the low frequency road noise, even with the bit of hi frequency that it “added”.

Last edited: