Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tried Rock Auto's "Suspensia" brand for compression rod bushings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019 M3P, 70K miles.

Never tracked, usually driven very mildly. I don't like the looks of the compression rod bushings. I'm considering trying the "Suspensia" brand from Rock Auto, a whopping $8.37 each.

I could find only one mention of that brand on TMC - someone had used that brand on a Model S and was happy with the results.

So, any opinions on this part or the brand?

Thanks.

If a part doesn't cost much and takes very little time and effort to fit, the risk in choosing it is quite small.
Would you say that's the case with this part?
It's not wiper blade, after all...

Thanks for the wisdom. All good points I'll admit.

I'm good at replacing suspension bushings. Got good at it during my old BMW days. Plus I'm near retired so I've got the time.

Rock Auto shows it as a "favorite" part, meaning they apparently sell a lot of them. As long as it's as good as OEM I'm good with it.

I'd buy the bushing from Tesla but my understanding is they only sell the complete arm. I'm too cheap for that. So far, this part at Rock Auto is the only one I've found that looks like the OEM part. I know MPP and others make some performance bushings but I don't want the NVH hit.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DocHolliday
I've purchased the Suspensia lower control arm and sway bar end link. The ball joints started clunking in less than 3 months. I wouldn't recommend, but if you're willing to do the work, the rubber bushing may be OK.

My experience has been that even the OEM ball joint on the lower control arm goes bad shortly after the bushing, so you may end up back down there again anyway.

I've purchased the Suspensia lower control arm and sway bar end link. The ball joints started clunking in less than 3 months. I wouldn't recommend, but if you're willing to do the work, the rubber bushing may be OK.

My experience has been that even the OEM ball joint on the lower control arm goes bad shortly after the bushing, so you may end up back down there again anyway.
Thanks.

Got the Suspensia bushings from RockAuto. I've not pulled the arms from my car so I can't compare them side by side, but I'll comment here on what I find.

As another experiment, I'm considering filling the voids with JB Weld ...
Highly unlikely JB Weld is going to hold up IMO.

Filling them with some sort of bonding agent would probably work better, but likely wouldn't stiffen them much.

Or, just get the tried and true solution.

Got the Suspensia bushings from RockAuto. I've not pulled the arms from my car so I can't compare them side by side, but I'll comment here on what I find.

As another experiment, I'm considering filling the voids with JB Weld ...
From my observation, that would impede the design of that bushing. The slots are there so the arm can move up and down. It will limit its movement if one was to fill the recesses. Proper orientation of the busing is important I think?
Too bad that the spherical bearing destroyed the outer ball joint over time. I think a hybrid spherical and polyurethane may be the solution for the compression rod issue in my observation?

From my observation, that would impede the design of that bushing. The slots are there so the arm can move up and down. It will limit its movement if one was to fill the recesses. Proper orientation of the busing is important I think?
Too bad that the spherical bearing destroyed the outer ball joint over time. I think a hybrid spherical and polyurethane may be the solution for the compression rod issue in my observation?
That's what the Powerflex arms come with. A poly spherical. Hardrace also have "uprated" bushes but I haven't tried them myself.