Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone understand the M3 used car market?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TLLMRRJ

Dec 19, 2019
Houston
Just a quick glance, there's a bunch of M3's that have branded Lemon and Salvage titles on AutoTrader, and they are asking prices very close to new cars.

What's up with that? Are they actually getting anywhere close to those prices? Should I be putting up my clean title M3 for sale to make a profit and then order another one??

BMW M3 models tend to hold their value better than other 3 series.
dedzP2O.png

Just a quick glance, there's a bunch of M3's that have branded Lemon and Salvage titles on AutoTrader, and they are asking prices very close to new cars.

What's up with that? Are they actually getting anywhere close to those prices? Should I be putting up my clean title M3 for sale to make a profit and then order another one??

what is asked does not mean that they will get that price. There is another thread here taking about high prices for used model 3s. Why? Not enough supply

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
what is asked does not mean that they will get that price. There is another thread here taking about high prices for used model 3s. Why? Not enough supply

That's the whole point of my thread. What is really going on?? Even the prices on Carvana seem crazy high, and they don't haggle yet they have pending sales.

And it's amazing how many on the market that were owned for very few miles and very short ownership.

It's very different than an average car, and I am wonder what's really going on. Anyone in the car biz know for sure? I can speculate as well as the rest of you, but looking for some real insight.

I have a friend looking to buy his first car. I was steering him toward a used Honda Civic but it turns out that a BMW 3-Series car of the same year and mileage sells for less than the Civic. I guess it makes sense given how unreliable they become when they get to be around 6-8 years old.
Yes...run, run, run from a 6-8 year old BMW, unless you have the bank for repairs.

Reactions: ElectricGhost
That's the whole point of my thread. What is really going on?? Even the prices on Carvana seem crazy high, and they don't haggle yet they have pending sales.

And it's amazing how many on the market that were owned for very few miles and very short ownership.

It's very different than an average car, and I am wonder what's really going on. Anyone in the car biz know for sure? I can speculate as well as the rest of you, but looking for some real insight.

It wouldn't surprise me that Tesla is buying them back.

I could see Tesla buying back Model 3’s from owners looking to upgrade to another Tesla. But where else are they getting them from? Has anyone heard of a Tesla Model 3 owner selling their car and buying an ICE vehicle? Maybe an upgrade to an X or S? There can’t be that many of them out there.

Should I be putting up my clean title M3 for sale to make a profit and then order another one??

I’ve been wondering the same, not to make a profit but to trade from AWD to Performance without taking a bath.

I checked yesterday and there were ZERO new or used model 3s available through Tesla. Seems my low mileage, super clean AWD could sell for a very good price right now.

It’s a lot of hassle, but I’m mulling it over.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I’ve been wondering the same, not to make a profit but to trade from AWD to Performance without taking a bath.

I checked yesterday and there were ZERO new or used model 3s available through Tesla. Seems my low mileage, super clean AWD could sell for a very good price right now.

It’s a lot of hassle, but I’m mulling it over.

Are you just looking on their website or calling a sales rep? There’s a lot of cars that don’t show up on the site as I learned firsthand. Mine was one of them.