Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone use CoolVu to tint their Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok,

I went to a place called AP Tinting in order to have the pano roof on out 2019 Subaru Ascent done.

My plan was to have them tint it with Photosync IRD 75, and see how that turned out. However, the sales rep there told me that they had this product called CoolVu transitional tint, and very slyly tried to move the conversation toward this product.

I wasn't terribly concerned, as I was just a much trying to find out how good a job they do. (I'm happy to say that they do good work...)

However, I can't find ANYTHING about this CoolVu tinting film that are pushing.

One of the techs did tell me that AP is transitioning away from Photosync, and indicated that he's had one or two issues with Photosync staying dark permanently. ...but that it's a decent product.

1) Anyone know anything useful about 'CoolVu'?
2) Anyone hear anything interesting about issues with Photosync? (Which appears to be highly regarded here...)

GB

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
Ok,

I went to a place called AP Tinting in order to have the pano roof on out 2019 Subaru Ascent done.

My plan was to have them tint it with Photosync IRD 75, and see how that turned out. However, the sales rep there told me that they had this product called CoolVu transitional tint, and very slyly tried to move the conversation toward this product.

I wasn't terribly concerned, as I was just a much trying to find out how good a job they do. (I'm happy to say that they do good work...)

One of the techs did tell me that AP is transitioning away from Photosync, and indicated that he's had one or two issues with Photosync staying dark permanently. ...but that it's a decent product.

2) Anyone hear anything interesting about issues with Photosync? (Which appears to be highly regarded here...)

GB
AP Tinting did my car with Photosync and I love it. I can tell you CooVu's website is garbage, it doesn't seem to work. I also wouldn't want transitional tint at all. I don't want my windows becoming clear at night. Stupid.

So what did you put on your car? That is the say what specific photosync product did you use?

I suspect that AP is moving to CoolVu because it’s cheaper and they’ll make more money on it…

I did send the sales person a message telling her that I want them to wrap the front end of my car, but that I want to know why they’re pushing CoolVu and why they didn’t tell me they were phasing out photosync...

Photosync is an awesome technology for heat blocking and different than CoolVu.
CoolVu is transitional and darkens when exposed to a certain part of the UV light spectrum. CoolVu film is more expensive for the installing dealer than Photosync. CoolVu also blocks up to 83% IR heat and 99% UV light. Here's a sweet image of a TESLA recently completed by one of our dealers. For more information visit www.CoolVu.com. Not sure what the problem was in finding the website before but check it out.
Image-66.jpg

Ok,

GB
GB - Have you been to the website? Let me know if you want additional information sent to you directly - J
www.CoolVu.com

AP Tinting did my car with Photosync and I love it. I can tell you CooVu's website is garbage, it doesn't seem to work. I also wouldn't want transitional tint at all. I don't want my windows becoming clear at night. Stupid.
EJ - Sorry there seemed to be an issue w the site. I am inviting you back for a visit though. Please check it out www.CoolVu.com.
There is a large market that won't buy window tinting for cars due to reduced nighttime visibility. CoolVu is a product that's designed for this target market, among others. Hope that helps.

EJ - Sorry there seemed to be an issue w the site. I am inviting you back for a visit though. Please check it out www.CoolVu.com.
There is a large market that won't buy window tinting for cars due to reduced nighttime visibility. CoolVu is a product that's designed for this target market, among others. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply. Your website has some great information about your products. While I prefer darker tint than what the model 3 allows (damn autodimming mirrors), I agree there is a market for your product.

I'm looking for more technical data... etc.

1) How long has the product been being used or sold?
2) What is the product made out of?
3) Is CoolVu made in the United States, or someplace else? If not, where is the someplace else?
4) How many dealers do you currently have?

You web site is well done, but it doesn't give ANY of that information. In fact, it really doesn't give any detailed information at all.

Given that I'm not seeing an obviously long history of use, I'm looking on you site for much more in-depth detail.

Yes, I'm an engineer. To me, it matters.

When I look a Photosync, 3M, etc., there are tons of installations, and lots of feed back. When I asked a well known installer if he'd ever used CoolVu, I got a 'Never heard of it...?'

Give us details man!

I had AP do my MS about a month ago. I was originally looking for Photosync but, as you know, they were moving to CoolVu. So far, it looks fine and does a good job of reducing cabin heat and keeping me from feeling like a baked potato. I wanted a transitional film for better visibility at night. The difference between light/dark isn't obvious when you're looking at the entire car. But today, since it was cool, I took a drive with my window partly down. Once I reached the highway I rolled up the window and the light/dark line was pretty obvious. Mind you, the 15%-20% difference doesn't look like a big difference when you see it side by side. It's not like comparing an untinted window to one with 20% tint, but it's a definite difference. They have sample demo sheets at AP so you can see the difference for yourself.

tl;dr: Got CoolVu. So far it does what they claim. AP did a good job, I'm satisfied with the results.

I had AP do my MS about a month ago. I was originally looking for Photosync but, as you know, they were moving to CoolVu. So far, it looks fine and does a good job of reducing cabin heat and keeping me from feeling like a baked potato. I wanted a transitional film for better visibility at night. The difference between light/dark isn't obvious when you're looking at the entire car. But today, since it was cool, I took a drive with my window partly down. Once I reached the highway I rolled up the window and the light/dark line was pretty obvious. Mind you, the 15%-20% difference doesn't look like a big difference when you see it side by side. It's not like comparing an untinted window to one with 20% tint, but it's a definite difference. They have sample demo sheets at AP so you can see the difference for yourself.

tl;dr: Got CoolVu. So far it does what they claim. AP did a good job, I'm satisfied with the results.

Any haze, glare or sunlight issues? How is it holding up - any scratching or other issues?

Any chance you want to answer MBMaryland's questions? He's got a number that should be answered easily enough. I'd like to see them answered as well (as long as I identify the right person to post this to).

Any haze, glare or sunlight issues? How is it holding up - any scratching or other issues?
Haven’t seen any scratches, but it doesn’t get any abuse from kids or dogs, so I wouldn’t expect to see any.

For the most part, I can easily forget it’s there. The only time I notice it is when the sun is at a certain angle and I’m headed directly into it. Then I see a haze that looks like the windshield needs cleaning. Any other time, I don’t see a thing.

Reactions: TrevTremaine