Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone used Watling Engineering tow bars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have experience with Watling Engineers -> Towing Brackets for UK Vehicles : UK Vehicles Towbars : Watling Engineers
On their facebook page they have pictures of a tow bar with electrics that they fitted to a Model 3P, wondered if anyone has used them and what the experience is like. I don't know if their wiring kit means that the car is aware the tow bar is connected etc. If the tow bar is just used as an 'accessory hitch' then it should be legal etc.
I'd been looking for a used M3, but would need a tow bar for a bike rack and this would open up some possibilities.

No help, but I'll follow this thread with interest as I'd love a bike rack for my M3P.

I've looked at that picture of the M3P on facebook. It probably is one, but they've downgraded the wheels and the line under "Dual Motor" isn't red. Something slightly odd about it.

That is correct. I would be weary even for carrying a bike rack and not towing.
It would be illegal to tow, but not to carry an 'accessory'. Not sure about the insurance part. It can't be any worse than strapping a plastic rack onto the boot and hanging a bike off that.

Kia e-niro is also is not rated for towing, but Brink make an 'accessory only' tow bar with pins on the ball to stop you towing with it, which is perfectly legal. They don't make one for the Tesla though.

My SR+ has a tow bar and is plated with the towing weight of 1000kg.
My understanding is that the car has to be homologated for towing which surely the SR+ and LR must be but according to Tesla they are only if purchased with the tow bar.
Most ICE's are rated for towing if you look in their manual and can be fitted with a tow bar from any supplier so why the difference?
The only difference to software I can see is that you cannot select TACC or AP when trailer lights are detected. It performs and brakes/regens exactly the same.

I had a BMW M3 that wasn't homologated for towing but the less powerful 3 Series is and a 3 Series tow bar fitted perfectly using the existing holes in the chassis.
Possibly not legal but my insurance added towing to the cover for no extra cost. Luckily I never needed to test it with them.

My understanding is that the car has to be homologated for towing which surely the SR+ and LR must be but according to Tesla they are only if purchased with the tow bar.

The homologation will be for the car with the tow bar hardware ... which is more than just the tow ball attachment. If the car is supplied without this hardware then it is deemed not suitable for towing so rated as 0. Given that Tesla don't make the hardware changes available after purchase or define a specification for aftermarket manufacturers you can't have a legal tow bar. Of course there's no reason why someone else can't make identical bits of metal for attaching tow bars but the rules don't allow it to be regarded as legal. It's a shame but there you go!

Reactions: Envchem