Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone using Michelin CrossClimate+ tyres on their Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Living in central Scotland it's not cold or snowy enough to merit winter tyres. The winter temperature goes under and over 7C for several months which is around the temperature, I think, where the rubber compound in most tyres starts to harden and lose grip

I have noticed that Michelin CrossClimate+ tyres are now available in 245/45 R19 size (available from blackcircles and other places) These tyres are generally very well rated and seem provide a genuine all season option - but has anyone tried them on a Model S yet? I'd be really grateful for any experience people have had with this tyre. I'm wondering if the high weight and high inflation pressures of the Model S might have a detrimental effect

I am wondering is that’s a Euro-only size as I’m not seeing it available here in the US. I do see that some of our consumer rating groups like the Michelins very much - Tire Rack and Consumer Reports.

I recently went with the Nokian WRG4, which is in the same class of tires, and I like them very much on my MS.

For my P85D I opted for the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ which is an Ultra High Performance All-season tire. So far I love them for year 'round use in the Front Range of Colorado. This is my first winter on them and so far so good. Great traction in the summer and very little difference in 0-60 blasts from the 21" Pilot Sports that came on the car. I couldn't feel a difference but my guess is that you would measure a tenth or so difference which is an easy compromise for the traction I get on the snow which is very good compared to miserable on the 21" Pilot Sports. Good tire, good price, good wear ratings and good summer performance. Not sure about the Crossclimate but I'd say to compare then against each other before buying. The A/S 3+ was one of the better rated/reviewed tires on multiple tire websites so check them out for sure.

For my P85D I opted for the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ which is an Ultra High Performance All-season tire. So far I love them for year 'round use in the Front Range of Colorado. This is my first winter on them and so far so good. Great traction in the summer and very little difference in 0-60 blasts from the 21" Pilot Sports that came on the car. I couldn't feel a difference but my guess is that you would measure a tenth or so difference which is an easy compromise for the traction I get on the snow which is very good compared to miserable on the 21" Pilot Sports. Good tire, good price, good wear ratings and good summer performance. Not sure about the Crossclimate but I'd say to compare then against each other before buying. The A/S 3+ was one of the better rated/reviewed tires on multiple tire websites so check them out for sure.

Thanks. The OEM tyres on my car are Pilot Sport 3s with a TO Tesla specific marking I think referring to acoustic foam in them. (but without A/S 3+ bit) They are great tyres - I see now we can also get the Pilot Sport 4 for the 19" wheels over here too. But I think we must get slightly different tyres in Europe which probably makes sense . We don't see as much snow as you - which makes me and the kids unhappy but suits my wife :).

I am wondering is that’s a Euro-only size as I’m not seeing it available here in the US. I do see that some of our consumer rating groups like the Michelins very much - Tire Rack and Consumer Reports.

I recently went with the Nokian WRG4, which is in the same class of tires, and I like them very much on my MS.

Could well be . Thanks for the reply I'll look those up

Thanks. The OEM tyres on my car are Pilot Sport 3s with a TO Tesla specific marking I think referring to acoustic foam in them. (but without A/S 3+ bit) They are great tyres - I see now we can also get the Pilot Sport 4 for the 19" wheels over here too. But I think we must get slightly different tyres in Europe which probably makes sense . We don't see as much snow as you - which makes me and the kids unhappy but suits my wife :).
Just know that each tire maker makes about a billion different tires that have similar names minus one or two letters or numbers usually. These tires can vary GREATLY with the change of a simple letter. Don't base your decision on a tires on a tire that is "close" in name. Even the Pilot Sport A/S 3 isn't anywhere near as highly rated as the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and the only difference is the "+" sign at the end which is used to name a tire that is entirely different. It's newer, has better tech and MUCH better performance numbers. The standard Pilot Sport isn't even in the same category as it's great traction in the summer since it's geared towards warm weather performance but in the winter it's one of the most dangerous tires I've ever driven on. This is why I was very specific in recommending the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ for your needs as it one of the best "Ultra High performance, all-season" (one of the only tires that checks both of these boxes) made. I have no idea how the Pilot Sport 4's compare or what's available to you so you'll have to do your own research. Just know that your needs differ from others who may review a tire one way or the other and all tires can differ incredibly with the change of one letter or number so make sure you know what you're getting as they make it intentionally confusing.

Living in central Scotland it's not cold or snowy enough to merit winter tyres. The winter temperature goes under and over 7C for several months which is around the temperature, I think, where the rubber compound in most tyres starts to harden and lose grip

I have noticed that Michelin CrossClimate+ tyres are now available in 245/45 R19 size (available from blackcircles and other places) These tyres are generally very well rated and seem provide a genuine all season option - but has anyone tried them on a Model S yet? I'd be really grateful for any experience people have had with this tyre. I'm wondering if the high weight and high inflation pressures of the Model S might have a detrimental effect

Just to report back - I ended up getting these fitted Michelin CrossClimate+ 245/45 R19 They are made in Spain and may differ from North America market tyres of same name? They are M+S and snowflake marked just in time for the first snow here.

They seem quieter than the OEM Michelin PS3 T0 tyres despite the lack of accoustic foam. Economy seems the same though watt hours per mile always increases a bit in the winter.

Seem to handle fine and comparable to old tyres though the Model S is too heavy and the steering too numb to be a car your really hustle through the bends. I'm optomistic these will work out well. Posting this in case it helps anyone else considering this choice. If I have anything to add after running longer on these tyres I'll add it in later

Reactions: cityhpper
Don't have much help to give here, but from what I've read the CrossClimates are great all round tires but at the cost of a high rolling resistance. I mean for me if I needed the best all round tire I would give up a bit of range.