Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone went from model S to model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quite frankly, first time I sat in an M3 (back at Park Royal when it was doing its rounds), I couldn't have felt more letdown. I had sat in Model S's several times before and loved them, but I simply could not justify spending that kind of money on a car any more than I could justify buying xyz. The 3 was a huge anticlimax - a case of being over hyped and under delivered. The only thing the person doing the demo was going on about was the heaters.

This led to a complete reappraisal of what we were going to buy. Our aging Passat estate was starting to run on borrowed time and at that point, there was not a full BEV that could replace that car. It was a very disappointing time, and as a result, widened our net. I even thought about relaxing the spend - which we ironically did for the Model 3.

Yes, we did go Model 3 in the end - it got across the finish line first. Everything has been a challenge with it, and still is. I wish the Model S was the size of the Model 3 and built by the Tesla of a few years ago, or at least the view of Tesla that I had in my head from a few years ago. If I had to make the choice again, I'd wait 6 months then decide. I very nearly did. The Model 3 is no Model S and to anyone that says the Model 3 is better will have burst another Tesla bubble if they are right.

None of this is a dig at model S. It is what it is. And anything I say about it, will end up applying to model 3 in the future too.

The S however is well on the way of reaching classic status, the 3 is simply a mass produced money generator for Tesla. No amount of gimmicks will ever make the 3 as ground breaking or as thought after as the S.

The way Model S sales have fallen and 3 sales sky rocket will future increase the unqiues of the S over the 3 in coming years.

The best thing about the 3 is its the price.

The S however is well on the way of reaching classic status, the 3 is simply a mass produced money generator for Tesla. No amount of gimmicks will ever make the 3 as ground breaking or as thought after as the S.

They are the same. Anything you say about the 3 will be said about the S. They are both mass produced vehicles.

So in your words: "There is nothing special about the model S, it's just using an electric power train as a gimmick"

My last Porsche was one of about 4000. There's over 160,000 Model S' made so far.

Look, there's nothing wrong with liking your S. But don't get all uppity about it, or start to assume model S is some magic car. It's a great car, so is the 3. There's also no shame in the interior being outdated. It was designed around 2010-, and released in 2012 after all. This is a decade later, we'd be stagnating if not moving forward.

...there's nothing wrong with liking your S...It's a great car, so is the 3.

Indeed. I drove an S for over 100k miles, I have 30k on a 3, and when my wife needs a new car we're getting her an S. Its weird that people allow their emotions to create out of context narratives so they can argue on the internet, but...I guess that's what the internet is for. :p

Just to recap, this blew up because people felt insulted over the near-objective fact that the model 3 has a newer/fresher/more futuristic/etc driver environment than the S. I suppose some folks might honestly feel differently--and that's cool too--but they're very much in the minority. Despite otherwise overwhelming negativity toward the 3 from a few, nowhere was judgement passed on those who prefer the S environment over the 3.

To play off the football analogy upthread, this thread isn't quite analogous to fans of rival sides. It's more like the attacking line not understanding that the middies behind them are on the same team. ;)

To play off the football analogy upthread, this thread isn't quite analogous to fans of rival sides. It's more like the attacking line not understanding that the middies behind them are on the same team. ;)

Nobody understands a word of what you are talking about. Sounds like you are describing some completely different game than the football many here all know and love. You know, being the UK and Ireland part of the forum, we kind of do, say and respect things a bit different here, its part of our long and diverse history.

Nobody understands a word of what you are talking about. Sounds like you are describing some completely different game than the football many here all know and love. You know, being the UK and Ireland part of the forum, we kind of do, say and respect things a bit different here, its part of our long and diverse history.
You sound disrespectful to me. Just my opinion. Speaking of opinions.. that's all we've been sharing on here. If someone prefers the S then that's just their opinion. I really wish the experience going from an S to a 3 was as remarkable as going from an ice to an S, for me. They're just really not that different.

I really wish the experience going from an S to a 3 was as remarkable as going from an ice to an S, for me. They're just really not that different.

Back to the phone analogy. Going to the first iPhone was pretty amazing. Going from the first iphone to any iphone since then, not so much. It's more of the same.

Which is also my "problem" with buying the cybertruck. I could logically justify buying my model 3 because of the $1800 in fuel savings per year. Buying the cybertruck is just expense. There is no additional savings, in fact, it uses more power than the 3 does.

Bugger me that was patronising. This forum, including our little corner of it, is for everyone, not just Brits. I don't really know why you've felt the need to be quite so unpleasant to another member of what is generally a very pleasant place to hang out. Maybe just have a think about that?

2) Audio Equalizer with +/-12 dB instead of just +/-8 dB

Tam, what kind of audio settings are you running to want these extremes of EQ? If you were a noise-boy EQing a PA rig to a hall with some weird shapes etc then I’d get it but In a vehicle, premixed sources like radio or music are pretty much there already. A hint of EQ to ‘season’ I get. however, +/- 12dB on anything in a car seems odd to me. Be interested to hear your thoughts on that.

Bugger me that was patronising. This forum, including our little corner of it, is for everyone, not just Brits. I don't really know why you've felt the need to be quite so unpleasant to another member of what is generally a very pleasant place to hang out. Maybe just have a think about that?

I had a very long think before posting and stand by my views. I, like some others it seems, are getting tired of non UK and Ireland centric comments taking over our regional threads, often having no relevance to our geography. Also the way that some views are put, are not the way things many like to do things. My post was carefully toned, I stooped to the levels of some areas of this forum and other forums. You didn't like my tone, all I can say is don't venture too far off piste. I got riled as someone in last week bought that tone to this part of forum.

Sometimes people wander into our areas by accident, usually as a result of following a latest post. Its nice when they go oops, sorry when they realise that they recommended location thousands of miles away. But when threads are hijacked by post upon post of totally irrelevant banter, sometimes in a tone that we do not use in our part of the forum, and paying no respect that we just have different cultures over here and we do things our way, it gets very tiresome.

Helpful generic comments are one thing, I'm all for that, but keep it relevant on topic to UK and Ireland. Just in same way that Model 3 owners should not take over Model S specific threads and vice versa etc etc etc. Its all about respecting how we do things over here. Such as not turning a previous comment about football, into a comment about American football - I be not an ounce of thought went into thinking that the original comment was about a totally different game and many on here would not understand what was being said.

I'm sure if anyone wanted a global view of their problem, they can wander over to the global forums. Or stay here, and get the UK and Ireland perspective.

imho

Useful global topics
Tesla: Vehicles | Tesla Motors Club
Roadster 2008-2012
Model S
Model X
Model 3
Software Updates
Autopilot & Autonomous/FSD

To be fair, this is a US-based forum run (and primairly paid for, one would assume) by Americans. The "aliens" here are us Brits, regardless of what this section of the forum may be labelled. I'm personally very fond of this valuable resource and welcome input from all users, regardless of location.

I accept that the (American) football analogy was inappropriate for "the UK section" of the forum, although I think there are more constructive ways of voicing displeasure about that.

It’s worth remembering also that the Model 3 is half the price of the S.

i would certainly hope that a car up in the 90s price wise has commensurate feel to it.

The guy earlier saying it’s basically the 5 series vs 3 series had it about right imo. One isn’t necessarily better than the other, but can be if that’s the metrics you’re looking for yourself (e.g. cheaper than an S, smaller than an S, etc)

That being said I really wish the 3 had the S instrument cluster screen too.

...odd...

I love the bass because of its vibration. Music to me is just more than just loudness but also its vibration. So, I have always cranked up the bass to the maximum. +8 dB does not boost enough vibration to me. I need +12 dB or more.

It seems that by default, the midrange is too loud so I don't need that so I decrease it to -12 dB. -8 dB does decrease it some but it's still too loud.

Tesla's tweeters seem not to be crystal clear to my ears, so I need to boost it to +12 dB to compensate for the deficiency.

So, my graphic Equalizer looks like a V or a U where both the bass and treble are maxed out and the midrange is maximally reduced.

I love the bass because of its vibration. Music to me is just more than just loudness but also its vibration. So, I have always cranked up the bass to the maximum. +8 dB does not boost enough vibration to me. I need +12 dB or more.

It seems that by default, the midrange is too loud so I don't need that so I decrease it to -12 dB. -8 dB does decrease it some but it's still too loud.

Tesla's tweeters seem not to be crystal clear to my ears, so I need to boost it to +12 dB to compensate for the deficiency.

So, my graphic Equalizer looks like a V or a U where both the bass and treble are maxed out and the midrange is maximally reduced.
Ok Tam. Each to their own.

Ok I never owned an S... And paying 65k (in 2016) for one was a bit rich for my blood at the time. But when I sat in one - as a tall person - I was very disappointed. To the point where I remember thinking "Tesla doesn't make cars for me".

2 main reasons for this;

1. Unless I go for the glass roof option my head would touch the roof on the lowest seat setting
2. The view out was mostly the road, like having a permanent sun visor down.

Compared to my BMW 7 Series, which had a similar price when new, this was a huge downer.

The 3 is way more roomier and the view is way better. The only thing I don't like 100% is the ride comfort, bit too bumpy going over country potholes. The S, at least during my test drive was a bit better, but not a huge amount.

I honestly don't see the huge difference in sound deadening in the cabin that a lot of people talk about. I did install additional seals, not sure it made much of a difference.

And at least coming from a BMW 7 I don't miss the speedometer and the obsolete rev counter in the middle. I do miss the extra windscreen wiper frequency controls (was on a little roller on the stalk), but maybe Auto will be fixed into usefulness at some point...

The X would probably be the perfect car for me, but it's too expensive.

Just jumped out of a X into my 3 after driving the X over the weekend, it is much more easier and sportier to drive in UK. The X is big (in a good and bad way) and plushish. Prefers the 3 except for the fancy doors and self opening.closing doors of the X. IMHO

I accept that the (American) football analogy was inappropriate for "the UK section" of the forum, although I think there are more constructive ways of voicing displeasure about that.

Is it an American football analogy though?
An attacking line exists in UK football, and I presume the "Middies" are the Mid-field. A concept that doesn't exist in American Football but does in UK football.

And so it turns out it was all a big misunderstanding and we're all friends again :cool:
On with the thread....