Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone with a Tesla roof rack...I need some help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after installing my rack (purchased in June of 2020), my glass cracked under the passenger rear mount, even though I used a torque wrench per instructions. I've read elsewhere that some racks were shipped with the wrong bases (the rubber feet). Can anyone with a recent purchase take a picture of their passenger rear pad & part number? Tesla automatically denied the warranty claim via the app. I need some ammunition to take to the service advisor.
Thanks in advance!

• Funny
Reactions: Hrtme and E_R_N
So after installing my rack (purchased in June of 2020), my glass cracked under the passenger rear mount, even though I used a torque wrench per instructions. I've read elsewhere that some racks were shipped with the wrong bases (the rubber feet). Can anyone with a recent purchase take a picture of their passenger rear pad & part number? Tesla automatically pqq the warranty claim via the app. I need some ammunition to take to the service advisor.
Thanks in advance!
In a previous thread about a similar disaster, they determined some incorrect rear rack parts were included in the kit, and therefore did the repair under warranty. I would search that thread and DM that TMCer.

I put the rack on and requested Mobile service to come out and check my install as I had trouble with the driver side front pad. Tech said all was good. The pad should not contact the glass. There should be a slight gap between the pad and glass. On my rack the gap is about 1/32”-1/16”. In other words, the glass should set below the rails. I think that if the glass is high and the rack pad is torqued down on the glass is where the problem occurs and the glass cracks.

The attached photo shows the gap.
30D0B738-3E88-418D-A45E-3E75B18405BA.jpeg

I have the gap as well.. it’s possible the sound I heard was a little “mechanical strain”.

I talked to a Tesla service tech who said there are issues where the metal “hook” that “J” clip attaches to - has come off..

So I didn’t want to jinx it, but TLDR: Tesla replaced the glass under warranty.

About an hour after I scheduled service on the app, stating it should be warrantied as I followed the instructions, the service was cancelled and rescheduled with a local body shop. They claimed it would not be covered. I responded to the text and asked for a phone call. I spoke to an awesome tech and he agreed for me to bring the car in so he could take a look. He cautioned that it was unlikely that it would be warrantied, as they had a number of these issues on both the 3 and the Y due to user error. I was pretty adamant that since I used a torque wrench and followed the instructions that surely there must be some other issue.

When I arrived at the SC, they took the car back and had it for about 30 minutes. The tech up and said they could find no fault with my installation. They also said there were no obvious issues with the parts. He agreed to replace it under warranty as a matter of goodwill, since I only had the car for about 3,000 miles. He also agreed they would put the rack back on for me.

The only issue that he raised, was my use of a cargo box (once). I told him I was very careful not to overload it, only putting blankets and dog beds and those kind of bulky items up there. At most the combined weight wouldn’t have been over 100 pounds. He said the really big boxes might generate lift at the front (particularly at highway speeds) which would in turn put too much pressure on the rear bar, causing the crack. I’m not 100% sure I agree with this, but my box was in the forward most position, which would provide the most leverage for that scenario.

As for the pads, the front ones still have some clearance between the glass of about 2-3mm. The rears are still touching, but don’t appear to have nearly as much compression. As an added bonus, my glass is now centered in frame and lines up properly with the hatch.

In the end I’m grateful for a good service team that recognized the value of goodwill. They could have easily stood behind a no warranty position. I’ll be going on a trip shortly so I can test it again. I’ll probably move the box back a few inches just to be safe.

3A9666BB-80E6-4F79-8509-F5B902E09232.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: noshadow and house9
So I didn’t want to jinx it, but TLDR: Tesla replaced the glass under warranty.

About an hour after I scheduled service on the app, stating it should be warrantied as I followed the instructions, the service was cancelled and rescheduled with a local body shop. They claimed it would not be covered. I responded to the text and asked for a phone call. I spoke to an awesome tech and he agreed for me to bring the car in so he could take a look. He cautioned that it was unlikely that it would be warrantied, as they had a number of these issues on both the 3 and the Y due to user error. I was pretty adamant that since I used a torque wrench and followed the instructions that surely there must be some other issue.

When I arrived at the SC, they took the car back and had it for about 30 minutes. The tech up and said they could find no fault with my installation. They also said there were no obvious issues with the parts. He agreed to replace it under warranty as a matter of goodwill, since I only had the car for about 3,000 miles. He also agreed they would put the rack back on for me.

The only issue that he raised, was my use of a cargo box (once). I told him I was very careful not to overload it, only putting blankets and dog beds and those kind of bulky items up there. At most the combined weight wouldn’t have been over 100 pounds. He said the really big boxes might generate lift at the front (particularly at highway speeds) which would in turn put too much pressure on the rear bar, causing the crack. I’m not 100% sure I agree with this, but my box was in the forward most position, which would provide the most leverage for that scenario.

As for the pads, the front ones still have some clearance between the glass of about 2-3mm. The rears are still touching, but don’t appear to have nearly as much compression. As an added bonus, my glass is now centered in frame and lines up properly with the hatch.

In the end I’m grateful for a good service team that recognized the value of goodwill. They could have easily stood behind a no warranty position. I’ll be going on a trip shortly so I can test it again. I’ll probably move the box back a few inches just to be safe.

View attachment 619577

Glad it worked out, and I hope it won't happen again.

It seems weird that the glass would crack even if it was overloaded or having a lot of lift. The glass shouldn't be holding any load, ever.

My 2 cents are to pay for Tesla to install the rack so they take the hit if they screw up and crack the glass. Or, don't install a rack on the glass roof car to begin with. Not only could it get cracked due to installation, it could also get cracked due to loading mishaps + other reasons (below).

It is a huge shame that Tesla decided not to offer a metal roof (as originally planned on the 3) on the 3 nor the Y. That was one of numerous contributing factors as to why I didn't buy a 3 back in Jan 2019. And, it wasn't because of the roof rack case but rather concerns about the numerous folks who had what seemed like stress cracks on the 3's glass roof besides damage from road debris or falling objects (e.g. at Supercharger - Los Gatos (LIVE 24 Sep 2018, 12 Urban type)).

As I've written about before, I was riding in a car w/my dad ages ago and right as we went under a highway overpass, a rock hit the windshield and caused a star pattern. A glass roof is an extra large and expensive piece of glass that's vulnerable.

This 1st post at OEM TESLA roof racks Crack Glass is also of concern, if his hypothesis is correct.

Last edited: