Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Roof Rack CRACK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the worst feelings ever... Was finger tightening the final tower and crack, lame. Now gotta wait nearly two weeks to get it fixed. Pretty sure it's a manufacturing issue since it wasn't over-tightened and the other three towers went on ok. Anyway, thought I'd share more joys of Tesla ownership...

Attachments

• C8778E9E-926B-4F4C-8E36-ADA97A0D6E20.jpeg
    C8778E9E-926B-4F4C-8E36-ADA97A0D6E20.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 2,768
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I'm amazed three went on ok, the whole process seemed super sketchy to be honest. So, after it's fixed I'm definitely not gonna re-attempt installation. Question is, shall I request Tesla to do it or just skip the whole thing? I don't really need the roof rack it's just a nice to have. Worried about cracking the glass when i go over a bump with a load up top.

I'm amazed three went on ok, the whole process seemed super sketchy to be honest. So, after it's fixed I'm definitely not gonna re-attempt installation. Question is, shall I request Tesla to do it or just skip the whole thing? I don't really need the roof rack it's just a nice to have. Worried about cracking the glass when i go over a bump with a load up top.
a) if they replace it for free or cheap and offer to reinstall I'll do it.
b) if i end up paying a ton, I'll live without a roof rack and tell everyone i know my horror story!

Given OEM TESLA roof racks Crack Glass, I would never want to DIY. I would pay to have Tesla service do it and let them take the hit if they crack it.

That said, I wouldn't want a roof rack on a car with a glass roof anyway. One could have loading mishaps --> cracked roof.
True, i didn't realize until i started the process how sketchy it'd be. I only plan to put surfboards up there so not too much risk of damage during loading but now second guessing how the roof would handle the rough ride of the performance+ and a large stand-up paddle board.
Also, fyi - the glass externally shed fragments but so far looks intact inside. Guessing this isn't small arms resistant either?

Reactions: cwerdna
The roof rack shouldn't ever actually touch the glass, and neither should the J hooks if they are properly inserted into the pockets. Is there any chance that you got the J hook above the pocket such that it was against the glass? (Well unless the pocket didn't get properly welded to the body.)

Here is what the pockets look like:

Model Y Roof Rack Pocket.png

I guess it could also be from where one of the pockets got filled with sealant, but I would think you might have noticed something being wrong if it was difficult to insert the J clip:

Model Y Roof Rack Pocket Filled.png

Last edited:
So, it's impossible to tell since you can't see anything during install and instead it's all done by measurement and "feel". The J clip was positioned 412mm from the back of the glass panel same as the other side. It felt similar to the other 3 that I did prior to this one. Also, it is still on there and feels super secure, the cross bar doesn't move at all. I plan to do 20 min drives but not load anything on the rack.

But regarding installer error - anything's possible, and I'm willing to accept responsibility, but given Tesla's super (uber?) brazen policy of quantity over quality (my car had misaligned hood, misaligned passenger door, dented rearmost driverside window frame, spoiler not fully glued on, loose wheelarch trim, intermittent trunk latching issues), I'm open to other possibilities too.

The roof rack shouldn't ever actually touch the glass, and neither should the J hooks if they are properly inserted into the pockets. Is there any chance that you got the J hook above the pocket such that it was against the glass? (Well unless the pocket didn't get properly welded to the body.)

Here is what the pockets look like:

View attachment 566150

I guess it could also be from where one of the pockets got filled with sealant, but I would think you might have noticed something being wrong if it was difficult to insert the J clip:

View attachment 566151
Thanks for the pics.

So, it's impossible to tell since you can't see anything during install and instead it's all done by measurement and "feel". The J clip was positioned 412mm from the back of the glass panel same as the other side. It felt similar to the other 3 that I did prior to this one. Also, it is still on there and feels super secure, the cross bar doesn't move at all. I plan to do 20 min drives but not load anything on the rack.

But regarding installer error - anything's possible, and I'm willing to accept responsibility, but given Tesla's super (uber?) brazen policy of quantity over quality (my car had misaligned hood, misaligned passenger door, dented rearmost driverside window frame, spoiler not fully glued on, loose wheelarch trim, intermittent trunk latching issues), I'm open to other possibilities too.

That has to be a sickening feeling. Best of luck in getting it repaired.
Thanks, having now done some YouTube "scholarship" I've determined that 1) these large pieces of glass are prone to stress induced fractures i.e. not via rock chip or other (see Ben Sullins' M3) and 2) my installation technique was consistent with "experts" (see Rack Outfitters). Anyway, service scheduled for July 30...

So sorry to see this. I love a roof rack on almost any vehicle. I'm coming from owning 3 BMW i3's over the past 5 years and the only option was seasucker. Before that we had an e46 ZHP sedan with a roof rack and a 2007 CRV with a roof rack. A roof rack is on my list for the TMY but I think I'll wait to see how this plays out as well as others. Keep us posted.