Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone wondering about the "Coming Soon" Supercharger Stations in Florida?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys are saying exactly what I said.

Re read my posts. I said the high density Tesla owner areas need to be priority and chargers to fill the gaps shouldn't be a priority but they should be on the list for eventual addition. Glad we all agree.

I hate to keep picking on the Yeehaw location but what purpose does it serve? Larry --> you say the focus needs to be along major routes and urban areas. This location is neither. Fort Drum is just down the Turnpike. Placing this charger in Bartow or Lake Wales would make way more sense. Or just add chargers to the Port St Lucie and/or Canoe Creek service plaza instead. The Yeehaw exit is a wasteland. Bartow or Lake Wales have shopping centers to occupy yourself while charging and the service plazas have plenty of amenities. And both of those are currently under construction so adding the infrastructure now would be perfect timing.

You guys are saying exactly what I said.

Re read my posts. I said the high density Tesla owner areas need to be priority and chargers to fill the gaps shouldn't be a priority but they should be on the list for eventual addition. Glad we all agree.

I hate to keep picking on the Yeehaw location but what purpose does it serve? Larry --> you say the focus needs to be along major routes and urban areas. This location is neither. Fort Drum is just down the Turnpike. Placing this charger in Bartow or Lake Wales would make way more sense. Or just add chargers to the Port St Lucie and/or Canoe Creek service plaza instead. The Yeehaw exit is a wasteland. Bartow or Lake Wales have shopping centers to occupy yourself while charging and the service plazas have plenty of amenities. And both of those are currently under construction so adding the infrastructure now would be perfect timing.
I don't know if we exactly agree, but it does appear that you and I are in essential agreement on the main points.

Regarding Yeehaw Junction, yes that's a bit of a head-scratcher since its only 10 miles from Fort Drum. Depending on where it is located it probably would be located off a major highway, the Turnpike. The travel center I posted up thread would be right off of the Turnpike and have the basic amenities. I do however agree with you that expanding Fort Drum would be better, but of course we're not privy to the discussions between Tesla and the Turnpike Authority.

Regarding your earlier remarks questioning the usefulness of the Brandon Station, I'm afraid I don't agree. Being at the intersection of I-75 and Rt 4 I find the location both strategic and convenient. When I travel to Orlando or Tallahassee, it is conveniently located right on my routes, no detours whatsoever. I guess it just depends on which direction you are approaching the Tampa area. I'm coming from the south and its perfect for me.

Larry

Last edited:
Yeah. From the south it's perfect. 100% agree. But if heading to or from tampa in any direction other than South it's a diversion.

I was actually at that truck stop yesterday at Yeehaw. It's not someplace I'd like to spend more than a minute of my life at and from my encounters with most Tesla owners I'd venture to say they'd feel the same way.

Yeah. From the south it's perfect. 100% agree. But if heading to or from tampa in any direction other than South it's a diversion.
brandon is not much of a diversion when coming from the north or east, if heading to downtown tampa just take 60 for the last few miles into town. depending on the time of day it might actually be faster than staying on 4/275 to get downtown.

Moderators Note:

In responding to viperboy's legitimate criticism of having allowed, and even contributed to, this thread to go off-topic, I have moved a number of postings to Opinions on Supercharging.

This thread's purpose is to discuss the new "Coming Soon" Florida Supercharger locations and suggestions for future Florida Superchargers.

What happened is that a number of us, myself included, starting an off-topic discussion of our opinions regarding various Supercharging philosophies, etc.

The Opinions on Supercharging thread is intended to collect those opinions on Supercharging, particularly with emphasis on Florida.

My apologies for any confusion.

Larry

Reactions: viperboy and ajfus
Well looks like they removed the supercharger dot for North Pinellas, we need one at least in North Tampa Bay Area like Tarpon Springs or even New Port Richey. looks like we are getting a supercharger in South with St. Pete

Was there one in North Pinellas? From this list below, the only change I see is that the Homestead/Florida City one wasn't included on the maps initially.

Per the new map, it looks like FL would be adding:
  • Miami (Brickell)
  • Miami (Wynwood)
  • Aventura
  • Sunrise / Plantation (Expansion?)
  • Boca Raton
  • West Palm (Expansion?)
  • Ft. Myers
  • Sarasota
  • St Petersburg
  • Yehaw Juntion (off the turnpike)
  • Melbourne
  • Orlando
  • Almonte Springs
  • Live Oak (off I-10)

As I noted in another post (in the charging section) it looks like the dots are on the city's name, not necessarily the exact site.

I received a credible rumor regarding the location of the Supercharger Station coming to Sarasota. My source believes that the station will be located at a Whole Foods Market in Sarasota. There currently is a Whole Foods in downtown Sarasota, but that would not be an ideal location.

However, Whole Foods is currently building a large 40,000 square foot anchor store at University Station which is located at the southwest corner of University Parkway and Honore Avenue in Sarasota. This development is expected to be completed in the fourth quarter of this year which is consistent with Tesla's information on their Find Us page.

This is located nearby the University Town Center area and is a good location for a Supercharger Station once the major road construction is completed to facilitate access to this area.

Here's a photo published on May 26th showing the progress.

University Station.jpg

Here's a vicinity map of the location of University Station. You can see how close it is to UTC mall (see Kona Grill) and I-75.

University Station Vicinity.jpg

Larry

I asked the University Station Facebook page folks whether they could confirm that they would be hosting a Tesla Supercharger there. I received an interesting response. They didn't ask me what a Supercharger was, nor did they deny it. Here's their response. "University Station - Sarasota We cannot confirm that but stay tuned to our page for updates."

Larry

Some really big new SC's being built.....there are two 40 stations underway in Cal and now this one.

This would allow me to skip Brandon going South.....any other services planned other than Whole Foods?

btw: hopefully plenty of parking spots......in Naples Mercado location there is never enough parking in season and even off-season.

Based on all this info and my knowledge that Fort Myers is getting a Whole Foods near Six Mile Cypress and Daniels Parkway. I would be willing to be that is where the second Fort Myers Supercharger will be. It's odd because it is about 15 miles from the Gulf Coast Town Center Supercharger that has 8 stalls.

Based on all this info and my knowledge that Fort Myers is getting a Whole Foods near Six Mile Cypress and Daniels Parkway. I would be willing to be that is where the second Fort Myers Supercharger will be. It's odd because it is about 15 miles from the Gulf Coast Town Center Supercharger that has 8 stalls.
It's possible, and it will have plenty of room. However, that project is due to be completed in Summer 2018 while the Tesla Find Us page says that the Superchargers will be ready by end of this year. Daniels Marketplace, where the project is located, is actually only 8 miles from the Gulf Coast Town Center Superchargers. However, to get to the Whole Foods from I-75 would be almost 4 miles away. I think that the 4 mile drive (or 8 mile round trip) might be too far to make it an ideal candidate for a Supercharger location.

I have no inside information, but another speculation that would solve the Supercharger proximity issue, would be that Tesla plans to add more charging stalls at Gulf Coast Town Center.

Larry

IMG_6899.JPG
IMG_6900.JPG
IMG_6901.JPG
Wow I should GPS'd it before I said the distance. I didn't realize it was that close. I would hope that they would expand the Gulf Coast Location and upgrade the current Superchargers. But it was odd that the map I saw before put the pin point on Downtown Fort Myers, maybe they just generically just dropped a pin on Fort Myers to represent the Gulf Coast Town Center getting additional stalls? I don't know where they would put the additional stalls as it is a 1 sided roll of spaces and they all have a stall by the parking spaces. I guess they could create spaces adjacent to the current ones on the other side of the road.

View attachment 236103 View attachment 236104 View attachment 236105 Wow I should GPS'd it before I said the distance. I didn't realize it was that close. I would hope that they would expand the Gulf Coast Location and upgrade the current Superchargers. But it was odd that the map I saw before put the pin point on Downtown Fort Myers, maybe they just generically just dropped a pin on Fort Myers to represent the Gulf Coast Town Center getting additional stalls? I don't know where they would put the additional stalls as it is a 1 sided roll of spaces and they all have a stall by the parking spaces. I guess they could create spaces adjacent to the current ones on the other side of the road.
Yes, it's been my opinion that the pins are merely attached to the center of the label. In this case Fort Myers and the mapping system that they are using puts the label in Downtown Fort Myers.
I agree that it should be possible to place another row of stalls on the other side of the road at Gulf Coast Town Center.
I guess we will have to wait and see how this plays out, but it's fun to speculate.

Larry

Does anyone know anything about the Altamonte Springs (N Orlando) planned location? I tried looking for the permit, but there was no way to search by name. Just curious where they would put it, at the mall or closer to I-4. Does Tesla have a single crew for Florida? I saw in the other thread that the people that did Florida City are now working, or will be working, on the West Melbourne location. But Sarasota is also being actively worked on? Maybe local contractors for the digging/concrete/conduit/spaces, and then Tesla's crew comes in to install the actual Supercharger equipment?

Does anyone know anything about the Altamonte Springs (N Orlando) planned location? I tried looking for the permit, but there was no way to search by name. Just curious where they would put it, at the mall or closer to I-4. Does Tesla have a single crew for Florida? I saw in the other thread that the people that did Florida City are now working, or will be working, on the West Melbourne location. But Sarasota is also being actively worked on? Maybe local contractors for the digging/concrete/conduit/spaces, and then Tesla's crew comes in to install the actual Supercharger equipment?
I don't have an answer to your specific questions about the location of the "Coming Soon" North Orlando Supercharger Station.

However, I have a feel for your other questions. Tesla uses Black & Veatch as the engineering firm that does the design work. They and Tesla project managers manage multiple local electrical contractors to apply for permits and do the construction work. I don't think that there are local Tesla crews that install Supercharger equipment.

Larry

I would love to know more about that one also. We travel to Florida often and that location would be great.