Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anything I'll miss upgrading to "just" a M3 SR+ from Audi A4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Define handling? Most Audi weight distribution isn’t even. (They are a bit front heavy). However, they do have Quattro which helps some. The model 3 RWD handles more neutral like a RWD BMW, that is so say it will probably handle “better” but you will probably oversteer at the limit vs the Audi which tends to understeer.

I don’t think the B&O “premium” system in the current A4 is all that amazing, especially given the price. Not sure what you’d think of the Model 3 Premium sound system. It’s probably a step up from the base system. Frankly I like the “Fender” system in the GTI better than both. But the options are what they are...

Snow tires/wheels are a must on any RWD car that sees even a minor amount of snow. You’ll be all over the place with all seasons or summer tires. I drove half a winter in a RWD 3 series on all the same Continental contiprocontact tires that come on many model 3s. I got stuck a lot and slid many times. Even “mild/performance” snow tires are a huge improvement.

Last edited:
Depends on what driving you do.
I’m in NJ, have an LR, but would be more than fine with an SR+. Don’t go anywhere long distance - furthest is 50 miles each way. SR+ would’ve been fine for me.

That's the thing. I used to have long commutes, but now my job is only 20 miles away and I rarely ever hit traffic. Go in 3 days week or at least not when global epidemics happen.

For long trips, it's almost always for my CX-9 since I'll need the size to accommodate the rest of my fam.

Define handling? Most Audi weight distribution isn’t even. (They are a bit front heavy). However, they do have Quattro which helps some. The model 3 RWD handles more neutral like a RWD BMW, that is so say it will probably handle “better” but you will probably oversteer at the limit vs the Audi which tends to understeer.

I don’t think the B&O “premium” system in the current A4 is all that amazing, especially given the price. Not sure what you’d think of the Model 3 Premium sound system. It’s probably a step up from the base system. Frankly I like the “Fender” system in the GTI better than both. But the options are what they are...

Snow tires/wheels are a must on any RWD car that sees even a minor amount of snow. You’ll be all over the place with all seasons or summer tires. I drove half a winter in a RWD 3 series on all the same Continental contiprocontact tires that come on many model 3s. I got stuck a lot and slid many times. Even “mild/performance” snow tires are a huge improvement.

Really surprised. Thought Tesla's RWD would have significantly less oversteer than your typical BMW.

And, yes, if I got the SR+, I'd get winter tires.

Thanks, guys. I'm more so looking for the not so obvious stuff (examples of obvious stuff: dealing with dealers, gas, acceleration, etc.). My fault for not being more clear.

Also, as much I'd love to get a M3 LR, it's way above my budget. I wouldn't even mind a similarly priced LR used, but it then becomes not worth it since I'll be getting a $5k rebate from NJ for a new one.

Main things I'm wondering is:
- Will the partial premium system be a huge downgrade if audio quality is something I value?
- Will the RWD system give me worse handling then my AWD A4?

Good point. I'll keep my ear open when/if I test drive it.

I'm not an expert, but I have owned 2 electric cars now, so I have some experience.
If you can, spring for the LR, the range is totally worth it by itself. You'll also get the speaker system and AWD. Range anxiety is a real thing and the larger battery helps a lot. It's kinda like buying a TV, you will never wish your TV was smaller. Also, AP would come standard and it's pretty awesome.

I had a eGolf before this and it's actually a pretty good car, but the range was a pain. If you turned on the heat the range fell from 120 to 80 in seconds. It was bad. Max range I got out of it was 165 miles, but that was in ECO+ mode with super attention to how I was driving it aka not a fun experience.

Coming from that experience I bought the P3D+ and it's still not the greatest on range. I drive it hard, it can do really well if I drive it for range. I have gotten 230 kWh/mi, meaning about 300 miles (75*1000)/230 = 326 miles, but it normally runs in the 330ish = 227 miles range under normal driving.

An SR+ has a capacity of roughly 50000 kW, so about 1/3 less. You should get about 260ish kWh/mi (I have the heavy wheels of the P3D+) which equates to about 192ish miles real world range.
It would also help future proof the car and allow you to keep it longer (if that is your plan) as there will be degradation over time on the battery.

Now, it could be that you're ok with driving a bit low, but for me there is a peace of mind in knowing I can turn around and go where ever I need to without charging (I usually keep my car charged 85-90%). If that isn't really a concern for you then the SR+ will be fine. Overall, it is a fine car coming from a 335i with the sport package, but mine is a P3D+ so a bit sportier.

To everyone recommending me the obvious recommendation of getting the LR: I hate you.

With love.

Indeed there's so much to like about the LR.

Maybe there will be some good end of quarter deal on one... Used my not be a good idea since NJ will be giving me a $5k rebate for a new one.

That being said, I'm still not sold on having to fork over that much extra for a car I'll be driving 40-50 miles a day tops, 3.5 days a week.

I also recommend renting one on Turo first to see if you like it. Keep in mind most of the cost of a Tesla is in the tech and batteries - not luxuries or craftsmanship. I came from a 2016 C300 and the ride quality, seat comfort, noise isolation is very noticeably worse on the Model 3. I recall one time a truck passed me and I had to turn around to check if the windows were open because of how loud it was (it wasn't). I've been told multiple times it's because ICE cars have loud engines that drown out the noise but that really isn't true since my engine would shut off at a stop and it was always quiet.

However, my Model 3 was built in a tent in 2018 so newer ones might be better :). There's still a lot of room for improvement but it's still the best EV on the market.

Last edited:
Reactions: timp123
I used to own an Audi A4 Quattro and I loved the way it handeled. I now drive the P3D and definitely prefer it over the Audi. I have not personally driven the SR+ so I cannot speak to your question. Like others have mentioned, it is definitely best to test drive or rent a SR+ and make a decision based on your own experience behind the wheel.

A couple things to keep in mind. A quick google search suggests that the SR+ will be about 1 second faster 0 to 60 than your Audi. The instant, full torque is truly addictive. Another quick google search showed that (as of Sept, 2019) the estimated 5 year cost of ownership of the Audi is about $19,000 more than that of the Tesla. Granted, this analysis is using gas prices that were probably higher than they are now and also it assumed 15K miles driven per year.

Good luck!

RWD will feel better since it doesn’t have torque steer like AWD cars. Stability control is quite good on rwd, I don’t think you need winter tires, this winter there was not low temps or snow that would require snow tires. I don’t think last winter was any worse, unless you are planning to go to mountains.

To everyone recommending me the obvious recommendation of getting the LR: I hate you.

With love.

Indeed there's so much to like about the LR.

Maybe there will be some good end of quarter deal on one... Used my not be a good idea since NJ will be giving me a $5k rebate for a new one.

That being said, I'm still not sold on having to fork over that much extra for a car I'll be driving 40-50 miles a day tops, 3.5 days a week.

I’ll be the total contrarian - SR+ would be fine, range wise. Even on the coldest, nastiest, brutal winter day, you’d have zero issues with that range.

Now, the better sound system is a discussion point, but .... will that be an issue for you? It’s totally up to you. If you just listen to, say, FM radio, it may not matter much.

I say all this as a guy who has an LR in Jersey ... but I can probably count on my hands how many times I’ve used “range I have with an LR that I wouldn’t with an SR+“ since I bought the car 13 months ago. It’s overkill for my use case.

In those extreme cases, just hit a supercharger for some free miles. You ARE using a referral code for free miles, right?

I've been told multiple times it's because ICE cars have loud engines that drown out the noise

Right, this is non-sense. Above 40-50 mph Teslas have louder cabin noise due to poor sound insulation, most likely from the suspension, stiff chassis, cheap materials (glass) and so on. I generalized because while this thread compares an audi with a model 3, I feel that my S is way noisier than ANY similarly priced (and cheaper) ICE car out there.

If cabin noise, ride and build quality are important to you, stay away from Tesla for now.

You will certainly miss the very handy MMI (Multi Media Interface) touch pad with handwriting recognition.

Note: The Tesla keyboard is fine but not as so practical, however the Tesla voice recognition is nicer to use.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
As an SR+ owner 7 months let me try to help. I live in Staten Island but work in NJ my commute (before the end of the world stuff) 36 miles each way. Range is never an issue even in winter and my accelerated driving style. And yes the instant torque is still absolutely amazing in the SR+. Real world range when charging to 90% is 145 miles. I often do a a 145 mile drive through NJ to Cape May and charging to 100% taking liberties with the speed limit as all do I just barely make it on 1 charge. So I normally make a single stop at a supercharger.
The partial premium sound is odd to describe, it is very very forward biased at low volumes sounds good. Watching Netflix or general speech focused video it's also very good.
But for music at any level above 30% it is not good. It is as if the music is yelling at you and not balanced at all. I've tried every measure of equalizer and fwd/rear adjustment, it's not good.
I have plans to upgrade the sound system my Aug 20189 build does have the rear deck speakers installed not wired, no subwoofer. Any new build will not have the rear deck speakers. Estimating $650 to upgrade and a day in the driveway.
Now road noise, my Chevy Volt was quieter than the Tesla. I understand the current model 3 may be quite than even my Aug 2019 build. I did reduce the road noise with the added door seals and the padded wheel well liners to the point I'm about the same as my Volt now.
But oh man is the instant power amazing a ICE car just can't replicate. It doesn't just accelerate it bends time and space.
P.S.
It is technically my wifes car and my Volt lease is up in 12 months, I'm doing as much saving as I can to get the LR AWD 3 next time around.

Reactions: dmurphy
As an SR+ owner 7 months let me try to help. I live in Staten Island but work in NJ my commute (before the end of the world stuff) 36 miles each way. Range is never an issue even in winter and my accelerated driving style. And yes the instant torque is still absolutely amazing in the SR+. Real world range when charging to 90% is 145 miles. I often do a a 145 mile drive through NJ to Cape May and charging to 100% taking liberties with the speed limit as all do I just barely make it on 1 charge. So I normally make a single stop at a supercharger.
The partial premium sound is odd to describe, it is very very forward biased at low volumes sounds good. Watching Netflix or general speech focused video it's also very good.
But for music at any level above 30% it is not good. It is as if the music is yelling at you and not balanced at all. I've tried every measure of equalizer and fwd/rear adjustment, it's not good.
I have plans to upgrade the sound system my Aug 20189 build does have the rear deck speakers installed not wired, no subwoofer. Any new build will not have the rear deck speakers. Estimating $650 to upgrade and a day in the driveway.
Now road noise, my Chevy Volt was quieter than the Tesla. I understand the current model 3 may be quite than even my Aug 2019 build. I did reduce the road noise with the added door seals and the padded wheel well liners to the point I'm about the same as my Volt now.
But oh man is the instant power amazing a ICE car just can't replicate. It doesn't just accelerate it bends time and space.
P.S.
It is technically my wifes car and my Volt lease is up in 12 months, I'm doing as much saving as I can to get the LR AWD 3 next time around.

Thanks for your input. Glad to see that I probably won't have an issue with range since my commute is much shorter than yours.

Audio system might really bother me though after reading what you wrote....

Probably been said here but.....you won’t miss gas stations, but make sure you have your charging figured out, You won’t get 300+mile range. Trickle charging is almost hopelessly inadequate. Make sure you have a way to guarantee quick and efficient charging. Otherwise, I traded a 540 for this M3 sport and it’s ridiculous how much I love this car

I would go with the AWD option over SR+. You will miss the AWD especially coming from Quatro. Before getting the M3, I was about to pull the trigger on the RS3...
Seats, steering wheel, fit and finish, paint are and will always be better with an Audi over the Tesla lineup. However the acceleration, simplicity, modernization, lack of gas, etc. outweigh (IMO) Tesla over Audi.