Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 hardware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in that case then what would be the difference between AP 2.0 & 2.5?
No difference in ADAS capability.

Hardware 2 is powerful enough for all of the EAP functions.

If you want the Self-Driving option, Hardware 2, 2.5 won't do it. It requires 3 and above.

There are some differences in non-ADAS capability:

Sentry Mode recording: 2 has Sentry Mode WITHOUT recording. 2.5 has Sentry Mode video recording.

Last edited:
Reactions: MSJack
Upvote 0
For 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, "base" could just mean the hardware with no Autopilot software features, no TACC, just dumb cruise control. Or it could mean Basic Autopilot TACC/Autosteer with no lane change - this never came standard with 2.0 era cars new, but now that there has been FSD transfer, some of those cars get "downgraded" to Basic Autopilot (not base hardware only, no features)

Upvote 0
no Autopilot software features, no TACC, just dumb cruise control
I believe every Tesla with 2.0 + has at least TACC and Autosteer. That is the base level of AP, with EAP (Summon, Lane Change) and FSD as the two available upgrade levels (EAP has not be offered at times). I've never heard of AP 2.0 + car with just "dumb cruise control."

Upvote 0
I believe every Tesla with 2.0 + has at least TACC and Autosteer. That is the base level of AP, with EAP (Summon, Lane Change) and FSD as the two available upgrade levels (EAP has not be offered at times). I've never heard of AP 2.0 + car with just "dumb cruise control."

What you're calling the base level of AP wasn't introduced as standard equipment until 2019. From our late 2016 Model S (HW2.0) to Sept 2018 Model 3 (HW2.5), if you didn't buy first package EAP for $5K, you got just "dumb cruise control".

Kinda surprised you're not aware since you had a 2013 and 2018 Model S. But since the 2013 had no Autopilot, maybe you paid for the EAP package on the 2018 so not aware there was no default Autopilot features at the time...

EDIT: Interesting twist, but if you had FSD package on one of the earlier cars, and then did the FSD transfer offer last quarter, you downgrade to basic Autopilot on those cars....AFAIK that is the only way to have basic Autopilot on pre-2019 cars....

Reactions: ucmndd and MSJack
Upvote 0
But since the 2013 had no Autopilot, maybe you paid for the EAP package on the 2018
That's correct on both points. But for my 2018, EAP only added Summon, Self-Park and Auto Lane Change. TACC / Autosteer were part of the "base" AP. Perhaps that's because I had AP2.5 / MCU2 in that car? I had no idea that earlier base AP (2016, etc.) did not have TACC. Tesla has changed around the AP/EAP feature set at times.

Upvote 0
That's correct on both points. But for my 2018, EAP only added Summon, Self-Park and Auto Lane Change. TACC / Autosteer were part of the "base" AP. Perhaps that's because I had AP2.5 / MCU2 in that car? I had no idea that earlier base AP (2016, etc.) did not have TACC. Tesla has changed around the AP/EAP feature set at times.

Did you buy the 2018 in early 2019? This webpage has a pretty good rundown on the different packages available at different times, says the basic Autopilot was introduced around Feb 2019:

Tesla Autopilot vs Enhanced Autopilot - What's the Difference? - AutoPilot Review

What it calls "standard" Autopilot prior to 2019 is basically just safety features like AEB.

Upvote 0
Did you buy the 2018 in early 2019? This webpage has a pretty good rundown on the different packages available at different times, says the basic Autopilot was introduced around Feb 2019:

Tesla Autopilot vs Enhanced Autopilot - What's the Difference? - AutoPilot Review

What it calls "standard" Autopilot prior to 2019 is basically just safety features like AEB.
I stand corrected; you got me wondering so I went "back" to 2018 and ordered my car again.

1698279245076.png

Upvote 0