Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP double ding chime often sounds rough

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched for this and didn't find anything but it's kinda hard to come up with relevant terms so I hope I'm not duplicating.

When I double tap down on the right stalk to activate regular Autopilot, it makes the usual double chime. Rarely it sounds normal and refined, like the double chime is smoothly overlayed on top of the music I'm listening to. But more often than not, it stutters or "ticks" like you are hooking up speaker wires mid-playback. Or like they are starting the double chime WAV sample partway into the sample instead of the beginning which makes it sound scratchy or stuttery.

Does everyone get this or is it just me? If this is "normal", it can't be that hard to overlay a simple half second WAV sample on top of whatever music is playing without it sounding bugged. Most of the time I'm playing music streaming or TuneIn. Not sure if it matters or there's anything I can do to mitigate it?

Mike

I hear a bit of a stutter in the Autopilot double-ding chime from time to time. Also, I sometimes hear three chimes, rather than two, usually with irregular spacing between them. It's usually the clear two-chime alert, though; these irregularities occur maybe 1 in 5 activations.

Compared to other problems I've experienced with Autopilot, this one is pretty minor, so I've never given it much thought.

I've rebooted many times and this has persisted through every update for the past 2 years. I'll see if I can get a recording of it the next time I drive it. It's definitely not a speaker since the only time it does it is when I activate AP. It's like the system lags or buffers for a fraction of a second as if it can't keep up with the music that is playing plus overlaying the AP chime at the same time.

Mike

I was able to capture it on video... along with the tip of my left index finger. :D

Anyway, the video shows two examples of activating AP back to back. The first time, it sounds like it should with the usual dong-ding. The second one is interrupted at the beginning like a stuttering WAV sample: sounds more like dadong-ding. This is what happens quite often. It doesn't always sound "clean" like the first time in the video.

My first thought was that maybe sometimes I tap it twice a little too slowly and it starts the single "dong" sound of VACC and then it sees the second tap AS it is playing the single chime, interrupts it, and does the double chime on top and that's what makes it stutter. But looking at the video and trying different timings, it doesn't look like that is the cause. Either way, I don't think it should happen.

Mike

• Funny
Reactions: XPsionic and KenC
I was able to capture it on video... along with the tip of my left index finger. :D

Anyway, the video shows two examples of activating AP back to back. The first time, it sounds like it should with the usual dong-ding. The second one is interrupted at the beginning like a stuttering WAV sample: sounds more like dadong-ding. This is what happens quite often. It doesn't always sound "clean" like the first time in the video.

My first thought was that maybe sometimes I tap it twice a little too slowly and it starts the single "dong" sound of VACC and then it sees the second tap AS it is playing the single chime, interrupts it, and does the double chime on top and that's what makes it stutter. But looking at the video and trying different timings, it doesn't look like that is the cause. Either way, I don't think it should happen.

Mike
It's not just you, I think there is some kind of delay or lack of processing power involved. Sometimes when my phone dings with a notification, the sound does the same crackle through the car speakers as well.