Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP just sent me under a truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Luckily not at the same angle as the other guy.

I was watching and there was no sign of recognizing it at all. The first sign something was wrong was that it did not negotiate a place in front or behind the truck as usual during merging.

I took over as the side mirror was passing under the chassis. The container was at almost the height of my roof, so ultrasonics probably did not ping anything.

I expect better by now. Keep your eyes on the road.

Glad you are safe! I hate driving past big trucks. It seems to be better than back in Dec 2018, when I first got my TM3. Back then whenever I would pass a semi the car would actually move toward the truck, and I have to pull back. It's like the car had a death wish. Very disturbing.

No they do not. Show ANY Tesla marketing that promotes it as FSD.
The below is currently on Tesla's order page. Isn't on-ramp to off-ramp driving exactly what the OP was doing?

Untitled.jpg

Reactions: cwmagui

I was watching and there was no sign of recognizing it at all. The first sign something was wrong was that it did not negotiate a place in front or behind the truck as usual during merging.

I took over as the side mirror was passing under the chassis. The container was at almost the height of my roof, so ultrasonics probably did not ping anything.

You must be the only person with FSD, fully approved and your using it.

You said AP. AP is not FSD. Your in charge of this car. Your in charge of it completely currently. FSD is not complete and approved by anyone, anywhere on this planet.

Thats how the OTHER GUY guy died and others have as well. The are others around you as well your in charge to make sure your not getting them into trouble or KILLED either.

There are distinct differences here between AP(assistive Steering and speed control) and FSD.

You just almost got killed under that truck

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
Funny how some people are always finding excuses for Tesla.
Like others, my bet is that AP did not detect the truck at all. For all that that Tesla claims AP/NoA can currently do, it's ridiculous that it can have such a basic limitation. In my opinion it's also ridiculous that some find this behavior acceptable, just because the system is beta, or because it needs supervision.
After driving a Tesla for about a month, I've seen a ton of other basic issues with AP. My feeling as of now is that it is really primitive, not robust at all. So unfortunately I only trust AP to drive in very limited circumstances, like slow/stop-and-go traffic or streets that I know are marked in a way that won't confuse AP. Honestly I expected more at this point, given all the hype about full autonomy.
Needless to say, I'm one of those that believe that Tesla won't come even close to being fully autonomous in 6-12 months. (Curious to see how this post is going to age :).)

Last edited:
I think it is very likely that AP did not recognise the semi. Certainly from that view it never saw the whole truck. The other cameras likely never saw thd whole truck.

Tesla needs this fed back to them. The NN needs to be trained on these types of views so it can recognize semis in this situation. Set of wheels and large overlay body.

• Helpful
Reactions: Kant.Ing
You must be the only person with FSD, fully approved and your using it.

You said AP. AP is not FSD. Your in charge of this car. Your in charge of it completely currently. FSD is not complete and approved by anyone, anywhere on this planet.

Thats how the OTHER GUY guy died and others have as well. The are others around you as well your in charge to make sure your not getting them into trouble or KILLED either.

There are distinct differences here between AP(assistive Steering and speed control) and FSD.

You just almost got killed under that truck

Pretty simple check on when I might cede full control to Tesla.

When I open the glove box and Tesla is the insured party instead of me.

Funny how some people are always finding excuses for Tesla.
Like others, my bet is that AP did not detect the truck at all. For all that that Tesla claims AP/NoA can currently do, it's ridiculous that it can have such a basic limitation. In my opinion it's also ridiculous that some find this behavior acceptable, just because the system is beta, or because it needs supervision.
After driving a Tesla for about a month, I've seen a ton of other basic issues with AP. My feeling as of now is that it is really primitive, not robust at all. So unfortunately I only trust AP to drive in very limited circumstances, like slow/stop-and-go traffic or streets that I know are marked in a way that won't confuse AP. Honestly I expected more at this point, given all the hype about full autonomy.
Needless to say, I'm one of those that believe that Tesla won't come even close to being fully autonomous in 6-12 months. (Curious to see how this post is going to age :).)

Hubris. I can do a SoCal to Las Vegas trip with disengagement’s for pulling off to do supercharging only.

Doesn’t sound that limited to me considering it’s 225 miles.

Reactions: 3Victoria
Isn't on-ramp to off-ramp driving exactly what the OP was doing?
Yes, but like me, the OP likely owns the Enhanced Autopilot (EAP) package, which is not currently available. EAP includes NOA, but is not FSD. @cwmagui , you're not totally wrong... it is a little confusing.

Merging from freeway onramps is one of the weaker features right now. I've logged a couple of similar recent experiences in:
Navigate On Autopilot: automatic lane change results

Reactions: cwmagui
I think it is very likely that AP did not recognise the semi. Certainly from that view it never saw the whole truck. The other cameras likely never saw thd whole truck.

Tesla needs this fed back to them. The NN needs to be trained on these types of views so it can recognize semis in this situation. Set of wheels and large overlay body.

The OP version of NN did not react to the semi. Who says Tesla doesn’t have a version that doesn’t?

You remove the Cell module from my Model X in Jan 2017 and you’d be complaining that autosteer is limited to only 25MPH in 2019.

Point is you never allow your car in a position with no cushion. This is high school drivers ed.

AP or no AP doesn’t change this.

The OP version of NN did not react to the semi. Who says Tesla doesn’t have a version that doesn’t?
Hey, I know this is a work in process. Just pointing out that the car likely never got a complete view of the semi. We apply many years of visual training when we recognise it. The vidro needs sending to Tesla, maybe they say "yeah, already sorted". Corner cases are the toughies. Go Tesla!

Reactions: MXWing
Clarification:
Autopilot (AP) is not the same as Full Self Driving (FSD) and neither of them are anywhere close to Level 5 Autonomous driving without a steering wheel or pedals.
AP does not change lanes for you. AP has Lane Keeping, so you stay in your lane but if I decide to change lanes then it turns off Lane Keeping.
So member superbaka was using FSD not AP.

Reactions: Oldschool496

Good Job!

Hubris. I can do a SoCal to Las Vegas trip with disengagement’s for pulling off to do supercharging only.

Doesn’t sound that limited to me considering it’s 225 miles.
YMMV. I can't get through my commute here in Austin without disengaging in 2-3 "tricky" spots (divided highway with left exit, traffic light with 2 dedicated left turn lanes, wrong 30mph speed limit detection on 55mph road).

Clarification:
WE need Elon Musk to go before the world and explain this. Tesla Drivers are not clear on it thats evident, the rest of the world is not clear on it. They think Tesla's are failing everywhere and they are because few Know:

Autopilot (AP) is not the same as Full Self Driving (FSD) and neither of them are anywhere close to Level 5 Autonomous driving without a steering wheel or pedals.
AP does not change lanes for you. AP has Lane Keeping, so you stay in your lane but if I decide to change lanes then it turns off Lane Keeping.

How about a letter to the world or at least to every Tesla owner. How to get through on this critical issue????

FSD though is not approved anywhere though on any road that I know of anyhwere in the world. FSD to my knowledge is not fully cooked. Neural Net is not complete.

So member superbaka was using FSD not AP.

Last edited:
WE need Elon Musk to go before the world and explain this. Tesla Drivers are not clear on it thats evident, the rest of the world is not clear on it. They think Tesla's are failing everywhere and they are because few Know:

Elon Musk is doing pretty much exactly the opposite: blurring the lines between their driver assistance system and "full self-driving", and even saying that FSD will be be "feature complete" in about 6 months, autonomous Robotaxis will roam the streets next year, and in another year they'll start removing the steering wheels.
There are probably still more people with EAP than the stripped down AP, and EAP absolutely changes lanes for you.