Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP just sent me under a truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
499E3F5C-E450-4B54-9465-1287C8BB03A0.jpeg
The below is currently on Tesla's order page. Isn't on-ramp to off-ramp driving exactly what the OP was doing?

View attachment 409885

Just below that part of the ordering page is the important disclaimer (one of many Tesla gives):

Reactions: cwmagui
View attachment 409925

Just below that part of the ordering page is the important disclaimer (one of many Tesla gives):
People don't read anymore, I cannot get my wife or my daughter to read the manuals on their cars. They keep finding things on their cars, I had no idea my car ........ and .........

Now we have no idea why we have to drive it, I selected the option FSD, I paid for it, OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH, its not working yet, nobody told me. Sorry I'm dead or I killed someone, not my fault.

This is exactly what I mean here, how to get through to the masses? How to get through to Tesla owners as now a huge number of Model 3 owners think they are FSD.

View attachment 409925

Yes, but marketing with a disclaimer is still marketing. Reminds me a bit of those commercials for prescription drugs where they read a list of side effects really quickly at the end. ;) To me the term "full self-driving" seems really misleading for what it currently is.

Yes, but marketing with a disclaimer is still marketing. Reminds me a bit of those commercials for prescription drugs where they read a list of side effects really quickly at the end. ;) To me the term "full self-driving" seems really misleading for what it currently is.

Elon is making really bold claims. There is absolutely NO way FSD will exist by end of this year. In limited circumstances, potentially yes. In all weather and all possible conditions? Come on people, are you really that naive?

Update for anyone who cares :

The road was familiar, there was space to my right, it was under 15mph, visibility was perfect, and this sort of thing happens daily in Los Angeles for everyone..a place I've been driving for 25 years. It's far more dangerous just riding a bike in this city. It was no big deal.

I wanted to use the opportunity to see what might happen at higher speed, which would indeed be a dangerous situation, and by sharing the video I hope I've helped others be aware.

I am on the Extended Autopilot package and NOA was enabled. No warning chimes or ultrasonics were triggered.

I emailed tesla with the video but have not heard back yet.

cheers!

Luckily not at the same angle as the other guy.

I was watching and there was no sign of recognizing it at all. The first sign something was wrong was that it did not negotiate a place in front or behind the truck as usual during merging.

I took over as the side mirror was passing under the chassis. The container was at almost the height of my roof, so ultrasonics probably did not ping anything.

I expect better by now. Keep your eyes on the road.

Dude. You have got to read the instructions before you ruin it for everyone. The instructions... the ones that you clicked "accept" to... say that Autopilot DOES NOT YIELD WHEN MERGING. It very clearly tells you on the warning screen that the car does not stop for red lights and does not yield when merging. AP did not send you under a truck. You sent you under a truck. Glad you're OK but seriously, read the instructions.

Dude. You have got to read the instructions before you ruin it for everyone. The instructions... the ones that you clicked "accept" to... say that Autopilot DOES NOT YIELD WHEN MERGING. It very clearly tells you on the warning screen that the car does not stop for red lights and does not yield when merging. AP did not send you under a truck. You sent you under a truck. Glad you're OK but seriously, read the instructions.
See this is what I don't get. This system is supposed to reduce cognitive load. But then in this case it actively tried to kill this guy. So if there are so many caveats and rules, and they change with every update, and then if you miss or misinterpret one, the consequence is that it tries to kill you, how is that going to make the driving task easier?

I read this thread and immediately called my in-laws (late 60s) and told them never to use NoA or any auto lane changing on their Model X. Guaranteed they did not read the manual for their car. There's also a sales guy at my office who got a Model S and goes around telling people "I can take client calls while it just drives itself, it's amazing!" Guaranteed he didn't read the manual, either. This is a real problem. The general public don't read the instructions.

Indeed there's a South Park for that: HumancentiPad - Wikipedia

I was watching and there was no sign of recognizing it at all. The first sign something was wrong was that it did not negotiate a place in front or behind the truck as usual during merging.

I took over as the side mirror was passing under the chassis. The container was at almost the height of my roof, so ultrasonics probably did not ping anything.
My AP appears to use "lane splitting" to steer the car into the middle of the lane markers and or curb. In the video, there is a white strip of light, just beyond the far side of the truck shadow. I suspect optical illusion tricked the car into thinking that strip of light was a lane marker and the car tried to "split the difference."

Bob Wilson

See this is what I don't get. This system is supposed to reduce cognitive load. But then in this case it actively tried to kill this guy. So if there are so many caveats and rules, and they change with every update, and then if you miss or misinterpret one, the consequence is that it tries to kill you, how is that going to make the driving task easier?

I read this thread and immediately called my in-laws (late 60s) and told them never to use NoA or any auto lane changing on their Model X. Guaranteed they did not read the manual for their car. There's also a sales guy at my office who got a Model S and goes around telling people "I can take client calls while it just drives itself, it's amazing!" Guaranteed he didn't read the manual, either. This is a real problem. The general public don't read the instructions.

I too have disabled NoA and recommend this to everyone. It's a cute parlor trick to be able to automatically change lanes, but it's not really a function I need the car to perform for me. As for cognitive load... you're right, but the cognitive load is *different*. We grew up learning the "muscle memory" of how to avoid obstacles and navigate the car. We did NOT grow up learning how to monitor the systems. So, today, the cognitive load is actually much greater as we learn how to allocate brainpower to monitoring. We are in a transitional time, but the rush to show self-driving progress is concerning because all major Tesla accidents publicized in the news involve the driver *not understanding how the system works*. We've been trained to click "accept" without reading but this isn't an app for flinging sheep at people. It's a car.

• Disagree
I too have disabled NoA and recommend this to everyone. It's a cute parlor trick to be able to automatically change lanes, but it's not really a function I need the car to perform for me. As for cognitive load... you're right, but the cognitive load is *different*. We grew up learning the "muscle memory" of how to avoid obstacles and navigate the car. We did NOT grow up learning how to monitor the systems. So, today, the cognitive load is actually much greater as we learn how to allocate brainpower to monitoring. We are in a transitional time, but the rush to show self-driving progress is concerning because all major Tesla accidents publicized in the news involve the driver *not understanding how the system works*. We've been trained to click "accept" without reading but this isn't an app for flinging sheep at people. It's a car.

The system does significantly reduce cognitive load on long drives with few obstacles/maneuvers... so there's that. But complex situations are still way too complex for the system.

It did not try to kill him, it did not go and swerve toward the truck. He put himself in the position, he admitted to this fact as he wanted to see what would happen.

So you say that people not reading the manual is the problem, yet instead of telling your in-laws to read the manual, you just say don't use the features of their car?